FTX Scenery: England. FSX crashes when Loading Terrain Data = 33%

jwt101

I have recently downloaded and installed the Scenery Pack for England (Europe) for Microsoft FSX.

FSX had been running fine prior to the install, but now it crashes when attempting to load. FSX starts, but after hitting 'Fly Now!', "Loading Terrain Data" reaches 33% then Windows reports that the "program has stopped working" and forces it to close. I have made sure the Region is set to 'Europe' in FTX Central 2, and have updated the libraries.

Diagnostic: ot5278c898ed677dcf4778396eb3e93c69

Order#: 458302

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Apologies for your topic not being addressed in a timely manner.

I'm not sure what could be causing your FSX to crash. We'll need more information from you in order to assist further.

- Whatt version of FSX are you running? If it is the classic boxed version you need to be on the SP2 release, or the Gold or Acceleration edition. If you are running FSX: Steam Edition make sure you have patched it to the latest version from your Steam account.

- Do you have any other addons installed for the UK? If so, try disabling them one by one in your scenery library to see if the loading issue goes away.

- Finally try uninstalling FTX England or disabling it in the scenery library to see if you can load a flight.

Hi jwt101,

In addition to John's post above, if you are using a HDD drive (Spinning Disk) you may find it helpful to defragment your FSX installation drive and/or OS drive. Recommended action for improving load times, as well as load hangs, and keeping your FSX & OS install tidy.

Often after large installs and frequent simulator use files will become fragmented, thus placing new files or read files wherever there is freespace on the drive. Files that are read/loaded by the sim from the drive will eventually become un-contiguous, increasing the time taken to find and load the required files when called by sim or upon initial load (Fly Now button). Defragmentation will make your FSX files contiguous once again, "Windows defrag" will do an adequate job unless you have a better one at hand, I use payware (O&O defrag (COMPLETE/name)) to defrag my FSX drive (1TB WD).

NOTE:  If you use an SSD (Solid State) please ignore my post and do not defrag.

(Trim) would be your only option in that case, although not quite the same, SSD's don't usually suffer from fragmentation in the same way that HDD's do where disk reads and writes can be required from vastly different geographical locations on the spinning platters.

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions, your advice is appreciated. I have spent an evening trying it, but with no improvement.

After systematically disabling and re-enabling each item in the FSX Scenery Library, I have determined that the entry which is causing FSX to crash is: "FTX_EU_ENG_08_CUSTOM". FSX crashes if it is enabled, and it does not crash if it is disabled. It crashes regardless of which other FTX Scenery files are enabled. It does not crash if FTX_EU_ENG_08_CUSTOM is disabled, regardless of which other entries are enabled. It does not crash if I load to an airfield outside the UK, regardless of whether FTX_EU_ENG_08_CUSTOM is enabled or not.

I have attached screenshots of the Scenery Library in FSX and the Insertion Points in FTX Central 2, in case they are revealing of anything missing or in error.

I am running FSX as re-installed recently from the original DVD, including the Acceleration expansion pack, and I believe all the latest updates of FSX and FTX libraries are up to date.

My system details:

Software: Microsoft FSX + Acceleration pack (non-Steam, version #10.0.61637.0) // Installed Orbx Products: REGION England FTX EU ENG England 1.40 - August 2014. OTHER: Orbx Libraries FTX AA ORBX Libraries Version 160201 1st February 2016 [Order#: 458302] // FTX Central 2 // A2A Accu-feel 2 // Iris Pro Silence Twister // Windows 10.

Hardware: Pentium G3258 (3.2GHz), AMD Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X OC, 8GB RAM // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog flight-stick and throttle // Track IR Trackclip Pro

Windows Error Report:

Level    Date and Time    Source    Event ID    Task Category
Information    21-Feb-16 16:58:10    Windows Error Reporting    1001    None    "Fault bucket 555068015, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: fsx.exe
P2: 10.0.61637.0
P3: 46fadb14
P4: g2d.dll
P5: 10.0.61637.0
P6: 46fadb58
P7: c0000005
P8: 000843ac
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\JWT101\AppData\Local\Temp\WER52B7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_e8dc6966775f8fd0e88f317045578d8bc658533_68a774f9_118d6c5a

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 59c21557-a7f8-4141-8f02-89de1e29d050
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: 1db65598c8e02897d9daf6820d9b1188"

Scenery library.jpg

FTX Central 2_Insertion point.jpg

Hi jwt101,

Ok all great info there much appreciated, it would seem there is a problem with your Scenery Library. You also seem to have unchecked many of the core scenery elements so I would recheck them in the FSX Scenery Library. This must me set correctly first to eliminate it from any underlying issues.

The last picture from FTXCentral of your "Insertion points" indicates that the FTX_EU_ENG entries are not in the right place with regard to the Core FSX scenery elements.

To adjust FTX entries as a block to the correct position, return to the FTXC insertion point tool and click the yellow "FTX" in the list - hold mouse left button and drag FTX to the top of the list (as described in the text at the top of that panel), then click "save changes". Close FTXC - start sim to rebuild the database then re-test for error scenario.

Hopefully this results in a positive outcome for you.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jeff (and others),

many thanks for your help. My Scenery Library and Insertion Points now look as in the screenshots below. The problem still persists. I have tried to follow your instructions as closely as possible, but they were not 100% explicit, maybe assuming some knowledge on my part that I don't have, for example...

On 2/21/2016 at 0:10 AM, Jeff Gilmour said:

The last picture from FTXCentral of your "Insertion points" indicates that the FTX_EU_ENG entries are not in the right place with regard to the Core FSX scenery elements.

Actually FTX_EU_ENG entries do not appear on the FTXCentral Insertion Points dialog, I just get a single entry "FTX", which I have now moved to the top of the list. There are several entries in the FSX Scenery Library starting "FTX...", and these are also all at the top of the list, but I have no idea if they should be in any particular order. All the subsequent items in the FSX Scenery Library are in the same order as on the FTXCentral Insertion Points.

In answer to an earlier question, I am running a version of Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7.

FTX Central 2_Insertion point_02.jpg

Scenery library_02.jpg

Wow jwt101, you must have been busy on other projects, as I hadn't heard back since 22nd Feb.

From your above picture, your Scenery library is absolutely correct now. The yellow "FTX" entry within FTXCentral is a general description for FTX entries within the scenery list FTXCentral will alphanumerically position the FTX entries within the FSX Scenery Library. Moving FTX to the top of the list is exactly right for your setup as you don't have any other addon scenery other than "FTX EU England".

I'm at a loss as to why you are still having load time simcrash  or extended load delay when "FTX_EU_ENG_08_CUSTOM" is enabled.

If one of the Orbx team could assist, they would be able to crosscheck your England installation folders & files.

One thing you can try until then, since you say you don't have loading crashes when starting at other locations, you should try a different starting Airport or Saved flight.

It could be a corrupt saved flight file, where you are trying to load FSX from a saved flight into an airport in England.  

Have you tried re-enabling "FTX_EU_ENG_08_CUSTOM" and starting your sim from a different location outside England or choose a different airfield within England (from the FSX menu > World > "Go to airport" > select a new location, Or open World > Map > drag the little black aircraft to a new position on the map click OK to load the new location). If this works then you possibly have a corrupt "saved flight" file, it should be deleted from the "Load Flight" panel and re-saved.

Hi Jeff,

it has indeed been too long! But I finally have some time to try and get this sim working again.

I am afraid that I still get exactly the same symptoms, with all my tinkering I have failed to make a single improvement so far. The crashes are limited to airports in England. If I load other airports around the world, even in Scotland, the Sim loads without an issue. When I try any airport in England, it always crashes, and always at exactly 33%.

Hi jwt101,

Sorry to read that you are still having problems, I am out of ideas at this point. I feel it may be time for a staff member to request your FTXCentral Diagnotic Report, and crosscheck your EU England installation files and folders. But please wait for Orbx staff to request this reporthttp://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101679-submitting-a-diagnostic-report-in-ftx-central-v2/

I am wondering if you have installed your sim to the default location OS Protected folders "C:\Program Files (x86)" this can cause read/write permission problems, It has long been best practice to install to an independant HDD or SSD drive or at least outside the OS protected folders and then to take full Admin permissions of your FSX installation folders. There is also Win10 upgrade from Win7 to think about, something may not have installed correctly or you are missing a key OS component required by Orbx or the FSX (all .NET v3.5 - v4.5.2) I'm not a W10 user so don't exactly know what is required for Win10

In the meantime you could you tell us where your Sim is installed.

Thanks Jeff,

It is a huge shame that this is not working. I have indeed installed FSX to the default Program Files folder, which may be part of the issue. I have a couple of other third party add-ons installed, so I am reluctant to uninstall everything and start from scratch if there is a less drastic solution, as I have no guarantee of downloading these paid add-ons again.

But it looks like there are no other ideas on the table at the moment, so I may have to give it a try.

Thanks for all your help. It is appreciated.

Good luck jwt101. I am not quite understanding why you think you may " have no guarantee of downloading these paid add-ons again"

Do you have a download restriction or something?  All the downloads are available at FSS in your account for you to redownload upto I believe 99 times after the initial download.

Archived