Jan Mansfield Airport Update

The updated installer for our Freeware ENJA Jan Mayensfield is now available.

Richard made some minor changes to the Northern Lights, hence the version number change. You can grab this new installer from here.

A new installer cannot by definition be added as an update.

Because it is a new installer, the whole installer must be downloaded and then installed.

However, you are quite right about FTX Central directing you to the support page instead

of the freeware page.

CAVEAT:  NOT A COMPLAINT

But that is why people are getting so confused about "updates" vs "new installers".

On one hand, new installers are being created frequently, primarily to accommodate P3Dv3.

SOME of those "new P3Dv3 installers" contain "updates" that are also applicable to an FSX or FSX:Steam installation also.

SOME guidance on the forums says things like, "You don't need to download the new P3Dv3 installers if you ONLY have an FSX or FSX:Steam installation."  

Yet other guidance says, "FTX Central 2 will notify you of any "updates" you may need."

It's confusing...especially to new ORBX users.  Yes, in this case FTX Central 2 IS telling me there is an "update" for my Steam installation.  But it IS an updated "P3Dv3" installer created primarily because of P3Dv3.  Yet I still gotta download the whole new P3Dv3 installer to get it, and install that new installer to "update" my Steam installation (which contradicts guidance from other places in the forum).

If it IS true that an FSX or Steam user DOESN'T need to download a new P3Dv3 installer UNLESS it contains "updates" for FSX or Steam too...AND FTX Central 2 in ALL cases will notify the user (like in this case) of the new P3Dv3 installers that WILL "update" their FSX or Steam installations too...then there should only be ONE piece of guidance on the forums saying so.  Something like....

"If you only have an FSX or Steam installation, DON'T WORRY about all the new P3Dv3 installers being released.  You don't need to download EVERY new P3Dv3 installer to stay up-to-date with FSX or Steam.  If one of the new P3Dv3 installers ALSO contains updates for your FSX or Steam installation, FTX Central will notify you to download and install the new P3Dv3 installer, because FTX Central can't run an entire installer itself."

All OTHER conflicting guidance should be purged from the forum (and there is some still out there).

The words "updates" and "new installers" DON'T mean the same things as in the past with ORBX products.  "Updates" nowadays don't always require a complete new installer download.  FTX Central 2 can do those kinds of updates by itself.  The user doesn't have to manually download and manually install a totally new "updated installer" (which is good as it prevents someone with limited bandwidth constraints from having to download a complete new installer).  But there are now also totally updated installers being released and "called" things like "The new P3Dv3 installer" or the new "Quad installer".  Only SOME of them have "updates" for an FSX or Steam installation.  It's not surprising that a new ORBX user (or even an existing one using FSX or Steam and not P3D) can get confused.

Make a "sticky" post somewhere.  Include guidance something like the paragraph I described above.  PURGE the forum from any old guidance that says otherwise (or at least make the "sticky" post also say something like, "DISREGARD any other guidance you read about how to update your ORBX products when updates become available.  Follow the instructions for updating your ORBX products ONLY WHEN you are notified of updates by FTX Central 2."

If that's the way it really works now, make THAT the only guidance someone can find in the forum.  Or at least a "sticky" guidance that ALSO tells them to disregard any OTHER outdated guidance they may find.

Again, I'm NOT complaining.  Just offering some suggestions to eliminate confusion for ORBX customers/users.

Lexically, a new installer is a change so that means update. Not to confuse with how the update is done : by service pack or by a full installer.

For the case of Jan Mayen, there are 2 points:

- Updates of northern lights effects --> all FS plateforms are impacted

- New installer --> to install the scenery on P3D v3.X . There is not service pack provided.

Thank you.

It isn't straightforward unfortunately when changed (updated) P3D versions require new installers but those installers

often contain no new content.

Ideally, Lockheed Martin will stop doing this and stay with version 3.

The best way to discover if there is new content is to check the release announcement forum.

As a fairly simple rule of thumb:

A product update can be delivered either by FTX Central or by downloading it from the Support Page.

An updated payware installer can only be downloaded from the account page at the Flight Sim Store.

An updated freeware installer can only be downloaded from the freeware page.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thank you.

It isn't straightforward unfortunately when changed (updated) P3D versions require new installers but those installers

often contain no new content.

Ideally, Lockheed Martin will stop doing this and stay with version 3.

The best way to discover if there is new content is to check the release announcement forum.

As a fairly simple rule of thumb:

A product update can be delivered either by FTX Central or by downloading it from the Support Page.

An updated payware installer can only be downloaded from the account page at the Flight Sim Store.

An updated freeware installer can only be downloaded from the freeware page.

Richard/Nick,

The above is exactly what I was getting at.  It is the first time I have seen all in one place (in the forum) an explanation of the different ways "update" and "installer" can mean something.  Plus it includes the "payware" vs "freeware" parts too, which require different locations.  Nick's descriptions above should be in a "sticky" somewhere, which the link to it could easily be used to send someone to it so they could "find" it if they couldn't "find it" themselves and posted a forum question.  Too many other locations mix and match the words "update" and "installer", don't make the distinction between freeware and payware updates/installers clear, and can be confusing.

As for LM staying with a version 3 from now on, I wouldn't count on it.  So new installers are probably going to be needed eventually again in the future.  But then I guess we would start calling them "Penta Installers", even though they would be for a version 4 of P3D.  Calling something a "Quad" installer now and saying it is because of version 3 of P3D probably confuses the heck outta some new ORBX customers already.  Long time users of ORBX and previous versions of P3D probably realize the "Quad" reference is because there are 3 versions of P3D and 1 version of FSX (FSX boxed or Steam), but a brand new ORBX user could easily be confused seeing a "Quad" installer for a "version 3" flight simulator.  They would naturally be apprehensive in wondering which installers, updates, whatever, they should be using.  A better name for them might be something like, "Our all-inclusive current installer regardless of which flight simulator you are using.  Just select your flight simulator version when asked during the install".  (Yeah...that probably wouldn't work too well either...kinda long and wordy...but I hope you get the idea.  I'm just brain-storming on how to solve the "confusion" part of all the different flight sims and installer "names" being used right now.  :D  )

• 6 months later...

Archived