FTX PNW Beta 5006 CBD preview [10 - shots]

I know this is just Beta, but I am wondering where all the custom downtown Vancouver landmarks (buildings) are gone as these are included even in stock FSX.  The area south of Stanley Park also known to Vancouverites as the West End is heavily populated by skyscrapers, as opposed to lowrise buildings as depicted in these screenshots.  I trust this is just due to this still being in beta.  Otherwise looking great and my next "must have".

I know this is just Beta, but I am wondering where all the custom downtown Vancouver landmarks (buildings) are gone as these are included even in stock FSX.  The area south of Stanley Park also known to Vancouverites as the West End is heavily populated by skyscrapers, as opposed to lowrise buildings as depicted in these screenshots.  I trust this is just due to this still being in beta.  Otherwise looking great and my next "must have".

Jon Patch and Holger Sandmann are releasing a special version of Vancouver+ for FTX which will be available around the time FTX PNW is released. It will be purpose-built to fit like a glove with FTX. For that reason we're not going to spend a huge amount of effort on Vancouver downtown etc, because we feel most folks will more than likely invest in V+ to get the best total solution for lower BC.

The same applies to TongassX, MistyX and other projects Holger is working on; he'll naturally ensure those will work seamlessly with future FTX regions which overlay those addons.

Jon Patch is also on the FTX PNW beta team and has shown us early builds of V+/FTX, and it's really quite exciting!

I quote from Jon:

"ORBX and FSAddon have agreed to cooperate on ensuring product compatibility between FTX NA Blue and Vancouver+.  That'll mean that we'll be selling a new product through FSAddon, for FTX NA Blue owners only, that includes features in Vancouver+ you won't find in FTX NA BLUE, such as custom buildings, bridges, and detailed regional airports (CYPK and CYNJ).

While we are creating this special version, which will sell for less than the full Vancouver+, we are adding some goodies.  These include some new buildings downtown: the Living Shangri-La, the Fairmont Pacific Rim Estates and the Convention Centre.  And new high-resolution satellite photo coverage for all of downtown and adjacent industrial/port areas.  "

Hope this gets you excited?

Well that is sort of good news, but now guess I will have to purchase 2 products, not just one to make this area really look good.  I actually purchased Vancouver+ for FS9 just before FSX hit the shelves.  I quickly migrated to FSX inspite of its growing pains, but couldn't bring myself to purchasing Vancouver+ all over again.  I managed to port some of the FS9 stuff into FSX which along with UTX Canada and my own custom landclass has given me a pretty realistic rendition of Vancouver and the Fraser Valley in FSX.  Inspite of this I will certainly take it to the next level with FTX PNW as I find all the FTX releases to be the most immersive scenery I have experinced in flight sim.  Photo scenery just doesn't seem as immersive to me and I believe the sytem of landclass and generic textures with a few well transitioned photo scenery areas offer the best solution to quality scenery with reasonable performance and Hard Disk space.  Of course the landclass needs to be very accurate and the textures need to be more specific to each region and have more variety than what FSX comes with which FTX accomplishes very well IMHO.  Anyway, I still hope FTX PNW will at least not exclude the default downtown Vancouver Buildings from the final release, so that anyone purchasing just FTX will at least get a product that does not take a step backwards in this one small pensinula.  Thanks for listening.

Archived