Major Installation problem

shermank

Hello Everyone,

I have gotten myself in a royal mess. After upgrading to W10, I reinstalled FSX, then added FTX Global, various regions, Vector and assorted files. I of course, ran the latest libs when I had finished with everything. I was very dissapointed when I took off from my home field, KUGN and saw this

first are two views om flight, followed by my scenery order as seen in Scenery Configurator.

I know others have had this or similar problems, so I hope you do not mind that I have made my own post.

Here is my thinking about a solution

1. Someone here will be able to guide me

2. If I have to reinstall ORBX products, can I simply delete the ORBX folder and all its contents within FSx and start over?

3. The ultimate and most drastic solution would be to delete and reinstall FSX and then delete the ORBX folder that remains behind.

Again, I thank you, and appreciate all the kindness and help from this community.

Sherm

capture_001_09012016_082440.jpg

capture_002_09012016_082533.jpg

capture_004_09012016_082702.jpg

capture_005_09012016_082714.jpg

Hi Sherm,

always the first thing to try in these kinds of cases is to start FTX Central v2 and cycle once or twice between Groups, pressing Apply Group each time. That will cause all of our core replacement files to be restored as well as the required additions to terrain.cfg and other files to be checked.

From your screenshots it looks as if our custom terrain.cfg entries are missing, which are required to display shorelines, waterbodies, roads, etc., and thus doing the above should fix that.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Sadly, your suggestion did not work. I am posting a couple of more pix...the first on the ramp at KUGN, the second at what should be Ramp 1 at PAJN... not pretty pictures, I am sorry to say....:(-

Sherm

capture_001_09012016_124216.jpg

capture_002_09012016_124738.jpg

Hi Sherm,

not sure what's going on then. If you load terrain.cfg (located in the FSX root folder) into Notepad or Wordpad, does a search for "// ORBX FTX-NA" bring up a bunch of entries?

What happens when you deactivate the four Vector entries? Also, anything in that "Addon Scenery" folder that may interfere with the Orbx content?

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

There are 28 entries identified as  // ORBX FTX-NA

I have not booted FSX since receiving your response above, but will do so after sending you this message. I also sent a diagnostic report to ORBX. More later after I check Vector entries in scenery library

ot29e16fd97ad303a492f8fbd689fa7f27

Sherm

Hi again, Holger,

I just noticed that when I reinstalled FSX,. I did not install the Service Packs. I am going to remedy that. I doubt that it will do a retro repair, but if it does not clean things up, then I will clean out the ORBX files and scenery packs and reinstall. 

Sherm

Hello Sherm,

a nasty situation you have got.:angry:

if you plan to completely uninstall and reinstall FSX, here are some helpful tips I used when I uninstalled everything related to FSX to begin my new installation of P3D:

1) First, uninstall addons that have an uninstaller in the WIndows Control Panel, for example PILOT'S FS Global Ultimate.

2) Follow the steps in this topic

3) Uninstall FSX using the uninstaller on Disc 1

4) Delete your entire FSX folder (if it remained after the uninstallation)

5) Delete:

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Orbx

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

6) Search your computer for any FSX, FTX, ORBX files and others related to flight simulator and delete them. This makes sure that everything is clean, as if you never installed FSX. In my case I found some small files whose titles related to flight simulation.

Then your system should be ready for a reinstallation. My personal preference is to wait a few days after these steps to see if your PC is working perfectly smooth. You can also use this time to instal the latest updates for Windows and other programs you might have.

Greetings,

Bermuda425

Things are back to normal. As I mentioned in a post to Holger, I had forgotten SP 1 and 2 when I did my reinstall to prepare for a clean installation of ORBX files. Things were looking good, but Vector did not show up in Scenery Library. Fortunately, I found a post by John Venema in the Vector Help Forum that guided me to cleaning out problem Vector files that were not being recognized. Then I installed 1.3 following by 1.35, and all is well again. Thanks, Bermuda for your latest tips. btw, I normally use the Revo uninstaller to remove programs. It digs a bit deeper into the registry to do a complete cleanout of any residual keys.

My next project is to get P3D and FSINN to play nice together. MY first attempt using the EMT did not go well. anyway, I will work that out with forum assistance as needed, I am sure. Thanks!

Sherm

Archived