PNW v1.8: no option to install in FSX-SE

I want to install PNW in FSX-SE but there is no option in the installer to install in FSX-SE.

I had MS-FSX uninstalled and removed all traces from file/folders and registry.

I checked with the FTX registry tool and it pointed correctly to:

MS-FSX: not installed

FSX-SE: installed and pointing to the correct install path.

That tool is for MS-FSX. But okay I tried that and set the path to install path of FSX-SE (F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX)

Now when I start FSX-SE i'm getting an  "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working"  error message.

At least now I can install PNW v1.8 in FSX.

However after installation I'm getting an error saying:

Unable to locate the scenery.cfg file: unable to locate the Scenery.cfg file.

I followed the advice on the topic and I saw that the Registry Key named Co-existence value was already 0.

Also I have no FSX-SE folders in my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\  or elsewhere. However I  followed the advice and deleted stuff and restarted FSX-SE.

Confirmed that new folders where created. But

1. FTX Central  still gives the error about not finding the scenery.cfg

I could make FSX-SE run again by deleting the reg.values made by the registry tool you recommended. But consequence is that

2. The installer has no option for FSX or FSX -SE install.

So now I have two issues... :lol: 

Hi Nick,

There's a FTXSettings.xml in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\Scripts. Not in ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral. Is that the correct one?

My FTXSettings.xml reads;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<FTX_Settings>
  <FSXRegistryKey>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0</FSXRegistryKey>
  <FSXRegistryValue>SetupPath</FSXRegistryValue>
  <SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX</SceneryCFGLocation>
</FTX_Settings>

So it looks like it's already correct.

Continued..

That installed PNW but after removing the registry 'fix'  and being able to start FSX-SE again, FTX Central2 came up with the no scenery.cfg found.

So I still have two issues now.

1. an installer which does not recognize that FSX-SE is installed, so no option in the installer to install either in FSX or  FSX-SE. A workaround is to use the registry trick with the TweakFSX registry tool. I had to remove the ' fix' to be able to start FSX-SE again.

2. FTX Central's error that it can't find the scenery.cfg. And the solution Nick adviced wasn't working because FSX-SE seems not to be in coexisting mode.

My thinking is that FTX Central is looking for the scenery.cfg file in ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE.

Yours is in ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and cannot therefore be found.

You should be being offered a choice of FSX or P3D with no mention of FSX Steam Edition.

You need the FTX Registry tool and FTX Central to see it as FSX (boxed).

For FSX Steam Edition, the registry tool adds HKLM\Software\WOW6432node\Microsoft\DovetailGames

to the registry.

If you export this entry (as a backup) and then delete it, the registry tool should then show no FSX version installed.

Then you can use the same tool to set the FSX entry to the location of your FSX Steam installation.

Hopefully, the next time you run FTX Central, you will be offered the choice of FSX and P3D.

I can make this happen here and it works.

FSX only in the registry, no FTX Central start menu.

Untitled3.jpg

FSX Steam registry entry added.

Untitled.jpg

FTX Central now has a start menu.

Untitled2.jpg

I don't have FSX Steam Edition installed, only FSX with FSX external folders, like you.

When I open FTX Central in FSX Steam mode and try to set the insertion point, I see this,

also like you do.

Untitled.jpg

Now I delete the Dovetail registry entry and the registry tool and FTX Central are back

to where they were.

Untitled3.jpg

Archived