Tacoma Narrows Bridge Missing from Scenery

gilltech

The Tacoma narrows bridge is missing from my installation of FSX (boxed with Srv Pack 2) and Orbx PNW, and Vector installs. Not sure this is the proper place to post as I am not sure this has anything to do with Orbx software. I have tested by disabling PNW, Vector, FS Global mesh, and running FTX Central in North America and FTX Global settings and the bridge is not visible in any configuration. I can see vehicle traffic crossing the waterway where the bridge should be as if they are flying across.  Perhaps it is a FSX default file but I also wonder if Orbx uses their own object in one of their sceneries I have installed.

All software is current version, scenery library is correct, and Orbx libraries are latest update. Also have all bridges enabled in the Vector Config Tool as well as having scenery complexity and autogen density set to max.

I am wondering if anyone has a solution or if someone knows the name of the object that creates the bridge.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mark

Hello Mark,

This is the default FSX version

Defaulttacoma.jpg

and this is the Orbx version

Orbxtacoma.jpg

The most likely explanation is that some other addon software is excluding the bridge.

A search of my FSX folder for Tacoma reveals only two .dds files which are in

Scenery\NAMW\texture.

Nick, thanks for your reply.

I think my problem may be that the object file that creates the bridge is missing rather than being excluded. I do not have any *Tacoma*dds files in the Scenery\NAMW\Texture folder. The files that are there are all dated 2006. So perhaps those are all FSX original files? I do see a file FTX_Objects_Bridges_WA.bgl located in the FTX_NA_PNW05_scenery folder. The only other Tacoma related files are for Tacoma waterfront and for Tacoma Narrows TIW airport. All bgl's. No Tacoma dds files.

I am only running Orbx software and have done further tests by disabling every scenery addon in scenery.cfg and testing. In all cases there is no bridge. I have also used the Vector config tool to disable all bridges, restart, then re enable the bridges. This seems to have had the effect of preventing cars from going across where the bridge is supposed to be.

Could you tell me if the Orbx version bridge is installed by PNW or Vector and provide the location and file name of the object?

I did my PNW and Vector installs with PNW version 1_80 and Vector 1_30 Full and 1_35 update. Both were new installs with no prior version use. If I am missing the file, then this should just be a matter of locating and dropping it in the correct folder?

thanks again, Mark

Thanks again.

These files didn't make the bridge appear. It is still gone.

The only other scenery other than orbx in the area is Taxi2Gate KSEA and FS Dreamteam CYVR. No AI traffic program. I do have FS Global Ultimate for Mesh, ASN Weather, and REX Direct Textures 4. I have tested by unticking FS Global and KSEA. Leaving only check 1-default FSX scenery, check 2-Only Orbx Vector, check 3-Orbx PNW and Vector.

What a puzzle.

I can't think of anything else that would exclude these files.

Mark

Hi there,

the Tacoma Narrows bridge model is included with the Seattle.bgl file located in \Scenery\NAMW\scenery. Can you check whether that's present and dated Sep 26, 2007?

The two .dds files are just textures so the bridge wouldn't appear without the model. Nick might be on to something in terms of which version of FSX introduced that model though I would have thought it was part of SP2 as well.

Also, make sure your scenery complexity slider is as far right as your system can handle as that does influence the display of custom models.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, I think you are onto it. I have that file but it is dated 5/14/15 and is only 1 kb in size.

Is there a way to extract just that file from the FSX CD Cabs? Or does Orbx replace that file with one of its own ?

If it has been overwritten with this newer small file, I have no idea what program to suspect. My system has recently been installed from format to its current state. As stated previously the only non obrx area file were the Taxi2gate KSEA and FSX Boxed Deluxe version with both service packs.

Thanks a lot for your input.

mark

Hi Mark,

hmm, I don't know for sure but have read that the original T2G KSEA installer replaced some default and Orbx files with 1-kb "dummies". Presumably there's an update available on their website though I don't know whether that restores those files: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/105160-orbx-pnw-and-taxi2gate-ksea-airport-compatibility-guide/

I don't know how to extract individual files from the FSX installer CDs. Running the Repair option should do the trick though, unfortunately, doing so will probably require re-installing all your add-ons afterwards.

Cheers, Holger

I could always install it on another computer and then copy the file over.

Just wanted to make sure that there is not a file for the double bridge within an Orbx install of PNW or other that would take the place of the default FSX file.

thanks again, really appreciate it.

Mark

On my system Taxi2Gate moved the default Seattle.bgl to "Addon Scenery/KSEA-T2G/Cache" and replaced the one in NAMW/Scenery with their own 1KB version.  They also have a Seattle-C.bgl in "Addon Scenery/KSEA-T2G/KSEA/Scenery" that might add some of the downtown area buildings back in.  If you restore the default Seattle.bgl you might end up with some duplicate buildings unless you disable Seattle-C.bgl.  I can't test that myself at the moment, but it's something to look out for.

Hi Larry,

thanks for the heads-up, good to know that there is at least a backup folder. I thought that the newer versions of T2G KSEA did away with replacing the default and Orbx files but perhaps not. I don't really understand why the developers would do this in the first place as standard excludes would have worked just as well.

Cheers, Holger

Archived