loading terrain data locks @ 6%

skelly

hello orbx looking for some help with a problem that just started everything was running good since installed steam edition fsx 3 months ago

but all a sudden I cannot load kenai or homer starts loading terrain data goes to 6% then is stuck there and have to reboot

if i start else where and fly to kenai then the ground is flat and blurred and no detail such as the airportt or town. tried reloading kenai and sak

with no change. Now today fly to or52 in oregon and decended to find same problem with a error msg scenerydat error delete

scenery\global\scenery\orbx.agn.mobilehomes   backed up and tried with no luck.

pilots mesh

multiple orbx products

global \ vector

fsx steam

win 7

hope you can help

Peter Wheatley

FSS0206751

Hi Peter,

Go inside the folder  "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes" and press <Ctrl-A> and <Delete>

This will delete all current "SceneryIndexes".

Don't worry, when you restart FSX, it will rebuild all the indexes, but now everyone will be correct (this takes a little time).

Cheers,

Voyager

As stated, the 6% "pause" is a common thing during the loading of FSX.  One thing you might check is if you have a LOT of other scenery entries in your Scenery Library, and they are ALL checked even if you won't be using them during your flight, FSX will still try to "figure out" which scenery areas it really needs to load for your requested flight starting point.  For instance, I have numerous MegaScenery Earth photoreal scenery products installed and added to my Scenery Library...over 500 GB of them.  I use them sometimes for flying in areas that the "full fat" ORBX regions don't cover yet.  But if I'm NOT going to be using them for a flying session, I UNCHECK them in the Scenery Library before loading the flight.  In some cases, this will change my flight loading time from just a minute or two at most, to one that might take 10 minutes of more.  FSX doesn't just use the Priority Level of your addons to "ignore" other addons that are "active" (checked) in the Scenery Library.  It will have to "compare" those addons sometimes too, to see if they overlap, etc, before deciding what to really load or not.

Note you do NOT have to check or uncheck any ORBX products displayed in your Scenery Library.  When you run FTX Central and select to "activate" Global overall, or choose a specific Region (like NA, AU, EU), FTX Central will "take care of" whichever FTX entries are required in the Scenery Library based on your FTX Central selection.  Whichever ORBX products ARE displayed in your Scenery Library after that happens should ALWAYS remain "active" (checked).  Don't uncheck any of them.

I just recently purchased both Kenai and Homer and they didn't increase my FSX:SE loading times at all.  So it's probably not a problem with either of those two airports.

Does the OP have the Friday Harbour steam addon?  I find that flying anywhere in the vicinity of that means that load-in times really drag at the 6% mark.  However they do eventually make it - mine has never gone to 30 minutes though.  I think the record was 10.  It does appear to be largely at random, but there are a few things I have discovered.  Take this with a pinch of salt though as I really don't know what I am doing.

Occasionally loading up FTXC2 and switching the regions a few times can help speed things up a bit - not sure if this is placebo, but it seems to work.  

Similarly, just going into the scenery selection in fsx and then exiting somehow seems to work.

Setting your system up in such a way that the gpu takes more of the load than the cpu helps a lot, there are numerous guides on how to do this on google.  Side benefit of this is you get a MUCH prettier fsx.

Any addons you are running, do make sure the libraries are in the right place.  I found that having the libraries in the wrong place was also causing a delay at 6%. 

I've got my 6% hang down to under a minute on a good day, though flying anywhere around the Vancouver island/seatle area (my favourite area) takes anything up to 5 minutes now.  If I turn off the Friday Harbour addon, things are dramatically improved, but the addon is so good that it's worth going and making a cup of tea while it loads up.

Even if a scenery entry is unchecked into the scenery library, FSX keeps reading the content. So the more your have installed addon, the more the 6% durating will increase.

You can decrease this time by removing entries into the scenery library or installing addons on a SSD

hello again thanks for the replies but Im thinking more of corrupted scenery as it just doesnt go past 6% even after 30 mins

any other airport loads within a minute or two i tried a reinstall of kenai and sak with no improvement  maybe i should do it 

again with a fresh download? And I do not have Friday Harbour waiting for orbx release.

thanks again

just to be sure just tried again for 1 hour at kenai still locked task manager reports it gets to 650 mb then fluctuates between 700 and 650mb cpu usage is 75% locked does not move have to end process to get out will try full reinstall of sak and airports

removed sak and all region airports reinstalled sak and got a validation report

ftx central on NA

Custom Files Validation Report
Custom file does not exist.
F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_hybrid\ORBX_OLCEU1_BLD2.dds

FSX file does not exist.
F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\Texture\ORBX_OLCEU1_BLD2.dds

Custom file does not exist.
F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_hybrid\ORBX_OLCEU1_BLD2LM.dds

FSX file does not exist.
F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\Texture\ORBX_OLCEU1_BLD2LM.dds

installation reports sucessfull and closes

any help with this

Thanks

"Just downloaded and installed Friday Harbor from FSS as normal, and I get stuck at 6% loading time much longer than normal, it must be due to the complexity of this scenery addon, with the large area of coverage!"

Same here and it's on SSD. What I don't understand is that it is just as complex as some other addons that don't take anywhere as long. 99.9% of my multitude of addons in FTX Regions take under 3 minutes to fully load, with all "extra" bells and whistles activated like birds, long HD grass, statis planes, balloon, peopleflow, object flow etc.

Archived