Have REX (3,4,TD,WA) now have ASN. Q. Too keep REX?

antonvs

I have been using all versions of REX and have just purchased Active Sky Next on special. I now wonder if I should stop using REX or not. Keeping in mind that there is a significant system demand and I nave never been convinced I have had and significant gain with any of the products except Weather Architect. 

I would like to hear what other Forum members have done with these two products.

I use Rex4 TD and Soft Clouds as texture replacements, and Activesky Next as the weather engine.  While old versions of Activesky used to include cloud texture replacements, Activesky Next does not - it's only a weather engine (the best imo).  In addition, old version of Rex used to include a weather engine.  Rex 4 TD does not - it's only a texture replacement tool.

Rex does plan on putting out a new weather engine at some point.  Weather Architect is kind of an intermediary product that developed from the time spent working on the new engine.  It'll be interesting to see how well it competes with Activesky - theoretically it should give much better visuals due to the integration with Texture Direct and the ability to swap different textures in for different weather situations.  The question still remains whether it'll be able to do that on the fly (I suspect not), and whether it can match the seamless weather delivery ASN gives you.  I remember the old REX3 weather engine tended to "pop" weather in whenever it updated no matter the blending settings, and having clouds appear and disappear right in front of you is immersion breaking.

Rex 4 texure direct and ASN!  Weather artifact is junk, a static artificial picture, not realtime weather.

Sue

That's because weather  architect is not  a live  weather  engine,  it  only  a weather  engine  where  you can make  your own weather  around the world

Archived