Don't use the Windows default unzip! Download WinZIP or WinRAR

John Venema

Boy this is a curly one :)

Poor old Bulldog :( He download the AU BLUE ZIP file 14 times! He get 10/10 points for persistence, god bless him :)

Finally, he tried the latest version of WinZIP and it extracted first time.

TIP:

Download either of the free tools below if you've been using default Windows compressed folder unzipper and it's failed:

WinZIP - http://www.winzip.com

WinRAR - http://www.rarlab.com

Luckily I already use WinZip or there would have been a new bit of space junk in orbit

Thanks for the tip though - I never even knew that Mini$tuff even had an unzipper - now I dont need to bother looking for it ::)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, these days 7-zip is probably the best (its 64bit too).

But I uncompressed this using the windows default unzip in XP SP2, Vista 64bit SP0, and Vista 64bit SP1, and didn't actually have any issues

• 2 weeks later...

What´s the fuzz with, reason behind not using Windows default unzip ?  I´ve obviously been using it and everything seems to be quite fine - except, oops - that I don´t get to see any of the wheather themes and I also can´t find/locate some of the GA Airfields I also downloaded ... is that the reason why ? Any suggestions ?

PS.

Did anyone also note, the when evening comes and the exceptionally beautiful streetlights turn on - they can (still) be seen shining through the cockpit walls .. of my default C 172 ? Just curious ....

Guest GaryVH-GJB

I use GetRight Professional  I have found that on large files my default windows XP downloader seems to stop alot plus I love the resume feature  ;)

Gary VH-GJB

Aren't download managers and un-zip utilities different animals.  I do have WinZip, but I have never had a problem with the built-in unzipper.

But I have occasionally with downloads and that is where a download utility really works.

Guest GaryVH-GJB

Gee wizz children!!!!!  Does it really matter, Just use a program that works for you.

Gary VH-GJB

Hi guys, I'm a new member, in fact I only purchased and installed FSX on Saturday. Still getting the hang of flying but gradually getting better, I can take off and land now which is a good start.

Anyway I purchased and downloaded the AUBLUE pack today but it will not unzip. I have tried it on a couple of different machines and are using Winzip (also tried the default windows unzip tool) and are getting the following error message.

Extracting to "C:\Aircraft\Flightsim\"

Use Path: yes  Overlay Files: no

Extracting OrbxFTXAUBlue.exe

Error:  invalid compressed data to inflate

Has anyone else had any trouble lately ??

Thanks

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I have now downloaded the latest version of Winzip in an attempt to open the AU Blue file, but still no luck. I am still getting a message saying that there is invalid compressed data to inflate.

Is anyone able to assist me, is it worth re-downloading the entire file ??

Some help would be appreciated as I am a little frustrated now.

Matt

Archived