FTX Norway mesh conflict.

Jon Clarke

Recently I started to get microstutters in P3D having been smooth ever since I got it and installed all my sceneries and addons.This smoothness applied to FTX regions. I loaded "Europe" via Central and tried Norway which has always been stunning. I chose a new, first time flight from Aro (Molde). When I took off I noticed that all the land scenery in front of me started to constantly rise and then flatten in a wave like motion as i was flying towards it. I have flown many areas in Norway and never experienced this before.

I have Ultimate mesh installed and have been advised via a previous posting here on the forums, that I should not disable the in built mesh that comes with some of the FTX regions, so I didn't. P3D will choose the highest detail mesh i am told, and use that mesh. In order to try and remove this new problem, I disable Ultimate EU mesh and all was well again. I then enabled Ultimate EU mesh and disabled the Norway mesh. Again all was normal. My conclusion was therefore that there was a conflict going on with the mesh choice if I left both meshes active.

I have also started to get the microstutters in PNW (Arlington Municipal, Washington is my default airport in this region) NRM,PFJ and NCA with the same settings that i have always had and have enjoyed smooth flying. I decided to reinstall PNW to see if some corruption had effected this region to induce the stutters. I reinstalled PNW, latest Libs and ran Vector AEC. I still got stutters so I then disabled the PNW mesh leaving only Ultimate running. The result was the stutters gave gone.

What i am wondering is what on earth has suddenly caused (a) the conflict to arise and (B) why the stutters suddenly appeared. My FTX library insert points are correct with FTX in Yellow at the top. The only addon i have added recently has been Open LC Canada/Alaska which operates in Global and not in either Europe nor North America.

Anyone any ideas?

My P3D sits on a 510GB SSD with 215GB free so I do not think that it is that my SSD is full and therefore reading the files is becoming the problem. Never had the stutters nor rising and flattening scenario before.

Not a mesh guru but I understand that different mesh resolutions are called at different distances, and if Ultimate Mesh and the ORBX mesh are calling the bnext resolution at different distances it may create a problem.  SO you my be on to something, but just as likely I've got it all wrong.

With any luck one of the devs will spot this and advise.

Cheers

Hi,

Even if FSX/P3D select the best mesh into the scenery library, the fact that 2 competitive meshes (same max detail) are activated at the same time is a waste of CPU usage. So if you fly only inside Norway, unactivate Ultimate and reversing, for a cross flight by Hybrid mode, unactivate one's from Nroway and set Ultimate on.

Here in Norway we have been blessed with talented mesh designers for years, so I have seen this sort of problems with FS Global 2010/FS Global Ultimate mesh and local made higher mesh resolution for years, long before FTX Norway. The last freeware mesh were just the same data as included in FTX Norway.

John, I think you are pointing to something right.

So when I have been working on my own NGA (Norwegian GA Airfields), I have seen this mostly on the west coast, but also further North. My solution, not an elegant one, are to set FS Global mesh for EU disabled until I cross a border or fly over the Ocean. This way I keep the better mesh active for Norway without interference, and are still able to have the better mesh from FS Global for the rest of EU/World.

Archived