Cliff at CYQX

Hi there!  I guess this question is for Larry Isenor:

On approach to runway 3 at CYQX, Gander Int'l, there appears to be a cliff, which forms a visible discontinuity between the terrain leading up to the runway and the runway threshold itself.  AEC has been disabled by Vector's AEC tool, but the cliff still remains.  Just wondering if the cliff is supposed to be there (Google Earth doesn't seem to show it), or if it's unavoidable because the airport elevation itself is slanted and not level.

Thanks.

Stew

Stew,

in the list of Global Freeware airports that Taph does for each new D/L it specifically states that CYQX needs to be disabled using the VECTOR Configuration program.

Just disable CYQX and the cliff should disappear.

Stew,

in the list of Global Freeware airports that Taph does for each new D/L it specifically states that CYQX needs to be disabled using the VECTOR Configuration program.

Just disable CYQX and the cliff should disappear.

I already disabled the aec, and the cliff is still there (see my original post, btw).  Before I disabled it, the whole airport was a mess, afterwards fine, except for the cliff, so I don't think that's the problem.

Stew

stew,

I have checked CYQX both enabled and disabled and as you said enabled the airport is below ground and unusable.

Disabled the airport displays correctly but appears on a slight rise.  I don't see any 'cliffs' but the ground does have a steep slope on some R/W approaches.  If your seeing actual 'cliffs' do you use any MESH.  I have the FTX Compatible Pilots MESH in my FSX sim.

Hi, spud.  I believe you're correct about the slight rise and that's what is probably causing that "discontinuity" I mentioned above.  Not really a cliff that you see quite clearly with other airports which aren't level, but a noticeable shift in the terrain at the point where the runway threshold joins the terrain directly in front of it.  Not a big deal, but I was curious if Larry might know if that was part of his design to accommodate that rise.  I do use Pilot's Global Ultimate The Americas, and I find it satisfactory in most circumstances while flying in North America.  There are instances of sloping runways being rendered in the usual "step-wise" manner like we find at CYQX, but nothing grossly unsightly.

Thanks for your input.

Stew

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at Gander and the FSX airport elevation is at 495 (Probably the highest elevation on the airport). The runways vary from 470 at the end of runway 13 to 424 at the end of Runway 03. This is the cause of the steep slope off runway 03. I will see if I can slope it out some more and include it in the next pack but there is still going to be a slope due to the flat airport restriction in FSX.

Larry

Archived