KEGE performance question

RealGoldfinger

Hello All,

Enjoying KEGE...fabulous!

A question: seeing about a 1.5 second stutter or pause after lift off from runway 25, around 500 ft. And seeing a couple of stutters after lift off from runway 7, around 1000ft. Otherwise the whole area is very smooth. Disabling the KEGE eye candy in the configurator did not make any difference.

Wondering if anyone sees this too? Normal? Don't recall that I see a pause or stutter like this at any of the other ORBX airports I own. If I experience loading pauses it's typically much farther out from the airports.

Any comments or suggestions on possible ways to eliminate the pauses is appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

FSS0407137

G'day Robert,

I use DX10 as my "default mode" in FSX these days, but just did a quick test with a couple of different aircraft in DX9 mode and couldn't replicate the issue. A couple of tests you can do yourself to ensure that it's not an anomolly or related to a non-KEGE-scenery issue:

1. Try replicating the flight conditions with other addon aircraft, including default types. Do you get stutters in the same spots?

2. Disable external components such as weather (use the Clear Weather theme in FSX) and all AI. Does this change the results?

3. Check (and temporarily disable) for any other non-ORBX scenery in the area. 

4. If you make performance tweaks to your FSX.cfg, make a backup of this and delete the original (to allow FSX to build a clean version). Use your backup copy to revert back to your previous cfg state if required.

Aside from this, some usual computer-performance tips that can make a difference to stuttering:

1. If you use a regular-style (ie non-SSD) hard drive, run a disk defrag. KEGE has a large disk footprint, and not defragging after installation is a likely cause of stutters.

2. Ensure you are minimising the amount of programs you are running in the background. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad,

I tried many of your suggestions and was unable to find a solution. However, I tried an experiment by slewing straight down runway 25 till I reached the pause point (yes, it paused during my slew as well) at ground level. And the pause occured at the end of the runway (what would have been approximately several hundred ft during normal takeoff) then slewed the aircraft straight back to the beginning of runway 25 and took off normally...the pause was gone when I took off this time. Apparently it's something that the sim is loading into memory that's causing the pause.

I also ran Process monitor during the takeoff and found that FSX had numerous NAME NOT FOUND listings with respect to Orbx Global and KEGE textures.

So I'm still looking for the solution.

Thank you for taking time to look over my question. Like all ORBX enthusiast out there, I really appreciate the wonderful work and Masterpieces you deliver to us flight simmers.

Best,

Robert

Hello fellows,

I found where my problem is and a temporary fix. The fix is that I had to turn off the FTX Global Airports in the FSX Scenery Library. I believe this is the freeware airport enhancements I installed. I plan to re download those FTX free airports and reinstall, assuming that the 1st download may have been a bad transfer in some way causing the pauses issue.

Also, it's worth noting that I had discovered pauses at takeoff at other payware airports too that are now gone as a result of turning off FTX Global Airports.

I will post the results of my reinstall of Global airports, and as to whether or not the pauses return just as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks,

Robert

By the way just as an aside on the overall performance of KEGE.  It is really incredible how such a detailed airport and surrounding scenery can be so light on VAS and so good on framerates.  Flying the NGX in there or A2A Commanche with no noticeable frame loss.  Now there might actually be a framerate loss, I was not looking at the counter but I could not notice anything.  Quite amazing.

Hello fellows,

I found where my problem is and a temporary fix. The fix is that I had to turn off the FTX Global Airports in the FSX Scenery Library. I believe this is the freeware airport enhancements I installed. I plan to re download those FTX free airports and reinstall, assuming that the 1st download may have been a bad transfer in some way causing the pauses issue.

Also, it's worth noting that I had discovered pauses at takeoff at other payware airports too that are now gone as a result of turning off FTX Global Airports.

I will post the results of my reinstall of Global airports, and as to whether or not the pauses return just as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks for the report back Robert - and a very interesting insight that will be useful for future reference. Thanks for the kind words, and hope you enjoy Eagle Co :) 

By the way just as an aside on the overall performance of KEGE.  It is really incredible how such a detailed airport and surrounding scenery can be so light on VAS and so good on framerates.  Flying the NGX in there or A2A Commanche with no noticeable frame loss.  Now there might actually be a framerate loss, I was not looking at the counter but I could not notice anything.  Quite amazing.

Thanks Mark, appreciate the kind feedback. I always try to keep the material/texture budget very low for all my airports, as this is one of the big components in airport scenery that can affect VAS. It means that there will always be not-so-crisp textures in some back corners (non-airside) of the airports if you look hard enough, but I always prefer that option so that plenty of performance space can be left for complex aircraft and weather. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry it took so long to report back. I did reinstall the NA Airport freeware pack and the stutter/pauses returned. At a loss to understand this one. Appreciate Jarrad and all who tried to help. It is important to note the issue IS not with KEGE as the problem is being experienced at other payware airports too.

Now I'm off to post a question of why my PAKT is suddenly "jumping" on approach now?

Best,

Robert

Archived