How large is your FSX Install

Dukester

Just wondering, since I plan on a PC rebuild shortly, what size HDD I would be best to use for dedicated standalone FSX HDD?

I have either a 320GB or 500GB available for it.

My current installation is around 56GB which includes All FTX, OzX 2.2, Holger's AUS Mesh, Frank's Alpes Scenery & few Payware Aircraft. I still have the FS Genesis Mesh to install for the rest of the World but am sorting of putting it off until I get all the V2 DVD's (so could be awhile).

Anyway just wondering how large some of the folks FSX installs are here?

Guest volcom1720

Normal fsx by itself on my system is about 16 GB

With Ozx FTX, I think it might just be 19 GB or so.

Tks for the reponses so far.

Now tim_A that's getting up there, I am worried the 320G may one day get very full and possibly affect performance.

But then again if it gets close to 320GB then maybe it needs a clean out anyway..

Yeah I reckon there may be a few of the ORBX & OzX team members that would have a fair size FSX directory.

I couldn't tell you how big mine is, because I'm not on my computer.  But I do know that I have only one hard drive, and it is roughly 140gb capacity.  It is nearly full.  Only big programs besides FSX are a handfull of first person shootem-ups, and I keep small programs to the bare minimum.  Only what I use regularly.  I do have a lot of photos though.

I would think that if I had an FS install that was pushing 140 gb, I'd be a bit concerned that I had a lot of addons that were not being used...  I did that to FS9.  I had WAAAAY too many addons...

Guest J van E

My install is 100 Gb but that's mainly due to Horizon's VFR GenX (76 Gb). I think a 320 Gb harddisk will be more than sufficient for FSX, specially when you keep it dedicated. You will need lots of cash to get even 320 Gb filled with addons. If you are planning to use the other disk for the OS and data (before installing all those addons you've got to download and save them first) I'd keep the 500 Gb for that!

Guest javo

My FSX is on a dedicated 700GB drive - FSX is currently taking up 49.1GB, leaving me 649GB for the rest of the Orbx products when released  :P

Use the 500GB HD, keep the 320GB for all the other stuff  ;D

My FSX folder is 30 Gigs right now (Acceleration, FTX, all orbx freeware fields, Warnervale, Aeropelican, OZx 2.20 airfields and the Carenado Cessna 182 II RG). On another drive I have an additional 17GB for Ants Aussie Airfields, REX and FS Global 2005. So, it's 47 GB total... and it's gonna be more when Coffs Habor will be added to the mix. And a little further down the road: orbx' Pacific North West. :D

I can see I'm in the novice stakes here with just 15.9GB on a 55GB drive. The only things I've added to date are several freeware and payware aircraft and Holgers mesh.

Seems I have a long way to go. :)

Flinty ,big as you can.  Theres allsorts of projects happening out there  i.e.  Italian Frank and friends are working on a 500Gb Italy photo real ( well they were and I guess they still are) .  I believe somthing like the F-16 takes up about 2GB when it is all said and done.  SP3 is a 10 GB by itself ....and so it goes

on....

I thought I would be safe for years by giving fsx a 250GB partition, but my install has gone somewhere above 150 GB, but it's mainly the fault of photoreal sceneries (like Switzerland X Pro or FS Altitude, + self made sceneries using the tool HB introduced on the FsPassengers forum), and if only there would be an equivalent of FTX for Europe, then I would probably live with a much smaller FSX folder (although I'd still keep Switzerland Pro!)

I'm up to 75.5 GB with less than half my airplanes installed.  I've got another 25 gigs of zipped and rarred backups on my other drive.

I wonder at what point this becomes an obsession rather than a hobby. ;D

I have 4 different FSX installs but my main one that only gets the finished product added to it ( the others are for betas) is just over 408GB... yes yes, I am a payware addict LMAO

Holy Cow JayKae, I figured someone like yourself would be way up there but 408GB is incredible.

So do you have any side effects of such a large FSX folder, are load times excessive or FPS effected in anyway that you can tell.

Um that might be hard for you to answer given your uber machine specs...

Looks like my 500GB HDD is the right choice then, especially since all future payware/freeware releases will be based on FSX given there will be no replacement on the horizon.

No, mind you I do keep a very clean house in that install, I backup the whole installation every time I install a new addon so if something goes wrong I can go back to my good install from before :)

Same here, since I've gone above 100GB, I'm careful with backing up regularly - I have no side effects from a large install, but one nasty side effect would be a complete re-install, that would take a good week (mind you, the migration to Win7 is going to be annoying for sure...)

(mind you, the migration to Win7 is going to be annoying for sure...)

I left my fsX, REX and other addons as they where, I installed fsX with acceleration on W7 and deleted the folder, then I took the tooly for the registry entry to set the path and pronto all works as a treat, only thing that was left to do was re-activating my addon sceneries and point REX to the right spot  ;D

Archived