RealityXP GNS 530 question

Stewart Hobson

Perhaps someone here on the forums has experience with the RealityXP GPS addon?  The flight plan I load  up in FSX doesn't seem to "register", or load up, in the GNS530.  Is this normal SOP for this addon, or have I missed something?

Stew

Havnt  tried  this  yet since  I usually  do it  manually according  to the manual page  11,  your  are able  to export  flight plans  from your  fsx sim location  by right clicking  on the flight plan tab

Havnt  tried  this  yet since  I usually  do it  manually according  to the manual page  11,  your  are able  to export  flight plans  from your  fsx sim location  by right clicking  on the flight plan tab

I can't find that on pg 11.  I'm looking at the Reality XP 430XP/530XP WAAS User's Manual.  And the "500 Series" Quick Reference is silent on the point.  But I hope you're right, I can't seem to find the right page.

The RXP behaves like a real one.  You have to enter the flight plan manually.   Here is the thing, there is no reason to load an entire flight plan before departure....just enter the first few waypontts, or a DP....then enter the rest in flight.  Another thing, you don't have to enter every single intersection....just enter points that have course changes.

Cheers

TJ

As far as I can establish you cannot import FSX flight plans to the RXP. However, you can flip backwards and forwards between the RXP and the default GPS to control the navigation. So, for example, you can load an FSX flight plan, get the FSX GPS to fly it but still use the RXP functions to look up waypoints, control the radios, etc. When you get to where you want to go you can switch control back to the RXP to fly a GPS approach or whatever you need to do. This is imperfect, but at least it's practical. Having to enter the flight plan manually into the RXP is just too much faffing about for me.

All that said, the one infuriating thing about the RXP (aside from all the merely annoying things) is that the only way to flip between it and the default GPS is to right-click on a secret click spot on the panel, which is virtually impossible to automate. Look here for my attempt to make this work and here for more about my experiments with the RXP GPS.

Please clarify for me. 

The RXP 430 and 530 work like the real Garmin. 

You are annoyed with all the "faffing about" because you can't automate it, which is impossible with the real instruments?

I just don't get it?

To each his own.

The RXP behaves like a real one.  You have to enter the flight plan manually.   Here is the thing, there is no reason to load an entire flight plan before departure....just enter the first few waypontts, or a DP....then enter the rest in flight.  Another thing, you don't have to enter every single intersection....just enter points that have course changes.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks, TJ.  This looks like a good idea and I'll try it out.  A lot of my flying lately is point-to-point anyway, nothing long involving multiple waypoints.  But in case I do, your suggestion is worth trying.

You are annoyed with all the "faffing about" because you can't automate it, which is impossible with the real instruments?

It is possible with the real instruments. Even if it wasn't possible, that wouldn't make it any less of a faff. I'm sure there are many owners of the real-world GNS530 that curse its clumsy stone-age user interface.

As far as I can establish you cannot import FSX flight plans to the RXP. However, you can flip backwards and forwards between the RXP and the default GPS to control the navigation. So, for example, you can load an FSX flight plan, get the FSX GPS to fly it but still use the RXP functions to look up waypoints, control the radios, etc. When you get to where you want to go you can switch control back to the RXP to fly a GPS approach or whatever you need to do. This is imperfect, but at least it's practical. Having to enter the flight plan manually into the RXP is just too much faffing about for me.

All that said, the one infuriating thing about the RXP (aside from all the merely annoying things) is that the only way to flip between it and the default GPS is to right-click on a secret click spot on the panel, which is virtually impossible to automate. Look here for my attempt to make this work and here for more about my experiments with the RXP GPS.

Thanks for the video, Mark.  You have an impressive setup there!  Your hint about switching back and forth between default GPS and the RXP is interesting...it must be in the documentation someplace...but since I rarely do complicated approaches in either of my A2A C182 or Cherokee, I can go without that feature.  Since you mentioned in the comments to the video that you were thinking about getting the C182, how has that worked out?  I think you'll find it a lot of fun.

Stew

Since you mentioned in the comments to the video that you were thinking about getting the C182, how has that worked out?

Hello Stew, no C182 as yet. In fact I would probably go for the Commanche now if I was going to get a new 'proper' aircraft, although at the moment I am still kind of stuck on the Twin Otter. If I ever get around to building a 'cockpit v2' it will likely feature one of the A2A aircraft. The Twin Otter sim isn't all that detailed at the end of the day.

Hello Stew, no C182 as yet. In fact I would probably go for the Commanche now if I was going to get a new 'proper' aircraft, although at the moment I am still kind of stuck on the Twin Otter. If I ever get around to building a 'cockpit v2' it will likely feature one of the A2A aircraft. The Twin Otter sim isn't all that detailed at the end of the day.

Likewise, I've been stuck on the C182 for the past two weeks--I've been exploring the many Orbx NA Freeware airports, and getting familiar with flying the C182.  Not so many screw-ups as when I first started flying her.  Now, with the new GPS installed, I have something to keep me busy learning how, in addition to actually flying, which is the real object, after all.

Thanks for the video, Mark.  You have an impressive setup there!  Your hint about switching back and forth between default GPS and the RXP is interesting...it must be in the documentation someplace...but since I rarely do complicated approaches in either of my A2A C182 or Cherokee, I can go without that feature.  Since you mentioned in the comments to the video that you were thinking about getting the C182, how has that worked out?  I think you'll find it a lot of fun.

Stew

Just out of curiosity: after reading this topic I wonder why you bought the RXP addon anyway? If you mainly do straight A to B flights and no approaches, the default GPS would have been sufficient. And more convenient...! ;) It can do a LOT more than people usually tend to think.

Just out of curiosity: after reading this topic I wonder why you bought the RXP addon anyway? If you mainly do straight A to B flights and no approaches, the default GPS would have been sufficient. And more convenient...! ;) It can do a LOT more than people usually tend to think.

Hi, there.  Yes, you are correct that the default GPS can do quite a bit more than first meets the eye.  I bought the RXP to "improve the experience" and as a basis of comparison and also the possibility that it was more flexible and had some features that would improve navigation from A to B, and B to C, etc., although I don't think the default GPS is deficient in that regard.  The fact that you can't port over a flight plan into the RXP surprised me somewhat, given the thing is supposed to work with flight simulators, the *real* thing not withstanding.  I'll continue my flying with the RXP installed for awhile and see how it goes.  As it is, you can fly any flight plan you construct (from Plan-G, for example) as long as you switch the controlling gps instrument to the FSX default.  As for instrument approaches, I'm disappointed that the RXP does not include the ILS "feather" in its display of the airport approach pattern.  And I must add, I only fly GA, in mostly VFR conditions, so sophisticated approaches, etc., are not in the cards.  I may eventually go back to the default.  But without a basis of comparison, how would I be able to make a decision?

Yes, now you have it, you might as well use it for a while to make a good decision. ;)

BTW You aren't the first one who was surprised to find out after purchasing the product that RXP can't import FSX plans. I've read numerous accounts of people being surprised and... I was one of them. ;) And like everyone else I was 'supported' by comments like the one Superglide posted which imho isn't a valid point at all because a lot we do in the sim can't be done in real life but can be done anyway in the sim... Anyway, I used the RXP for a year or so in FS9 but ditched it after the release of FSX. I liked the import flight plan feature too much and didn't really use the other options. Of course it's all a matter of preference: I like flying with VOR only and no GPS at all even more, so... ;)

It is possible with the real instruments. Even if it wasn't possible, that wouldn't make it any less of a faff. I'm sure there are many owners of the real-world GNS530 that curse its clumsy stone-age user interface.

What? you're going to program a keyboard to download a FP in the real 530. I don't think so. 

What? you're going to program a keyboard to download a FP in the real 530. I don't think so. 

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you are genuinely confused. The RXP GNS530 can't (1) load a saved flight plan. The only way to create a new flight plan is to enter it manually, which is laborious. You can mitigate this by loading a flight plan into the GPS500 and (2) switching control between this and the RXP. (2) can't be automated because it relies on a mouse click. (1) is simply not possible, although it is possible in the real GNS530 with an external flight planner and the Garmin Aviation Card Programmer. I don't know what kind of confusion could lead to you imagine anyone would be trying to do (2) with a real GNS530.

Archived