KSTS causing Application hang error

Ticker7

Hi Guys I have installed and tried to run this great piece of work but sadly nine times out of ten when it loads fsx just hangs and no matter what settings or items I uncheck or texture resolution I try it just will not load and run as I know it should.

This error is similar to the one I had with KMRY where if I remember it had something to do with another airports file interfering and causing the problem, also when I did ever get it to run it would pause every 10 seconds and then start again and then pause etc which made the airport un-flyable.

From what I have seen it looks brilliant but sadly I am not able to enjoy it YET but I'm sure it can be sorted and yes I have installed the latest lib file and all products are up to date so I know that isn't the problem it's just one of those things that fsx throws in to keep me on my toes from time to time.

Hello,

So from what I understand, the airport just doesn't load at all? Definitely sounds like a file conflict problem.

Do you have any AI packs installed? Or possibly any other scenery packages that could be interfering with the area?

A good thing to do would be to search 'KSTS' in your FSX folder and check to see if you have any files residing outside the ORBX folder. If you do, could you please post up a screenshot of which file it is, and I'll determine if it should be deleted.

Instructions for adding screenshots here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers

Hi Misha thanks for the quick response, I've checked for any files outside of the orbx folder and there are none, I also disabled traffic 360 by saving an empty traffic.cfg file and fired up the sim but when it loaded I got the same grey textured aircraft and ground and it was again not responding. It's really strange as out of all the airports I have only had this problem with these two KMRY and this one which is strange but it has to be something simple I've missed somewhere.

Hi Gulfstreamtwo yes I have All orbx products installed and working I think it's 147 but not 100% on the exact number as I'm at work. I can go to all of them and they work fine so I'm at a loss as to what would cause this problem, I know ALL of my addons scenery or aircraft work with every airport on my system so what is there in this one that would/could cause this problem, Misha is trying to sort me out and hopefully it'll be sorted soon then I can enjoy this airport along with all the others I have :)

Hi Guys here's what I've done so far.

Uninstalled Traffic360, uninstalled KSTS and reinstalled with latest lib files (again) still locks up and won't run. scanned system for any nasties eg malware,trojans or viruses.

deactivated everything in the control panel for the airport except the teture res which is set at the second one down ( can't remember the number ) restarted system after each process but still does not work.

I find it hard to understand why it should be the the two airports in the nca area that are giving this problem out of all the other 145 parts of the ORBX world I have and they all work with the addons I have installed and have done since day one so why just these two Hmmmmmmm the mystery continues.................

Hi Ticker7,

I also have the same lock up problem with KMRY.    Coincidently, at the same time I installed KMRY, I could no longer load up or fly into KORS.   If I attempt to fly into ether of these airports and as I get close to them, my screen turns into a slide show.

I will follow this thread for any possible solutions that come up.

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am in the middle of some very big exams at the moment and so have barely any time to even monitor the forums. Give me another 2 weeks though and I'll have some more time and we can explore some more options.

Hopefully another dev can also assist you during this time.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am in the middle of some very big exams at the moment and so have barely any time to even monitor the forums. Give me another 2 weeks though and I'll have some more time and we can explore some more options.

Hopefully another dev can also assist you during this time.

Cheers

Hi Misha hope the exams went well at least they had to better than the way thing here (my system) is going, since last time I was here I've moved up to win10 and have got a few problems like the sim works great for ten mins then either crashes or I get a bsod. so for the last couple of weeks I've been trying to sort it out.

I just reinstalled KSTS last night so I will try and see if it decides to work for me and let you know how it goes, here's hoping......

Hi Misha, well sad to say it's still the same as Win7 the sim loaded but only the hills in the distance showed up okay but the whole system just froze, so what I'm going to do is scan my FSX drive for duplicate flles and then I'm going start the sim and disable anything that isn't ORBX or OZx and see if it works, if it does I'll re add scenery one at a time to find the culprit ( if there is one ) and either reinstall it or delete it, this WILL take me some time as I have a ton of stuff on the drive ;-)

Yes I read the post you quoted but I don't reckon it's win10 I'm leaning towards a file problem as I've tested my ram for 8 hours no problems showed up and all my other programs work fine so I think I've eliminated pretty much everything else so I'll let you know how things go............

Hi Misha well here's my report on the stubborn thing, I disabled all my 325 addons in the scenery library except ORBX and OZx stuff, rebooted and fired up the sim and sad to say it's still the same it just loads then hangs I didn't even get to change views to look around before it froze !!!!!

I have a horible feeling it's going to be a full reinstall of FSX and all the ORBX stuff along with too many to mention of other addons which would take me a good couple of months to do but lets not think that way just yet ;-)

Hi,

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to solve this for you, with so many addons there is simply no knowing what the cause is, especially since it happens at multiple airports. There must be a deeper problem with the simulator and I think only a reinstall would solve it (particularly if you haven't done so for a long time). FSX seems to get more and more fragmented as time goes by and nothing solves it like a reinstall.

If you do so, make sure that you reinstall all your addons one by one, and make sure you check the sim between every install for problems. This is really the only way to catch the culprit.

I also recommend that you only install what you will actively use, instead of every single addon you have. Then as you continue flying and need one of your addons, just install it in. This should keep your FS as clean as possible.

I do apologize for not having a quicker solution but there just isn't another way.

Cheers

Misha I am leaning towards a full reinstall but just to clarify and consolidate the problem, there is only 1 airport that just refuses to load fully and that is KSTS every other airport that ORBX has produced works as it should so that is where the problem is re airports not working as even the new one from Jarrad works fine. I have NO addons running in the background so nothing is being called as it's just stock fsx and ORBX, I'm not exspecting you guys to go through all the code for possibly one errant letter or number just for me but as I have said from the begining it's just ksts that won't work I can live without it but I just hate paying for something I can't use and you guys have been great both in support and in the products you put out for us all to enjoy.

If and when I do sort it out I'll be sure to let you know as I'm like a dog with a bone I'll just keep going till I fix it no matter how long it takes.

Hi,

Before you try doing that, lets give this a go. Can you please double check that it is indeed KSTS causing the problem? So go into the scenery library, and deactivate KSTS, then load up and check for problems.

If it is causing it, reactivate it, and then the first thing to try would be going into the FSX/ORBX/FTX_NA/FTX_AA_KSTS/Scenery folder, and temporarily removing the ORBX_KSTS_APX.bgl file. Then, load back into the sim and check if the problem is still present.

Let me know how you go with that and that should get us closer to the root of the problem.

Cheers

Hi Misha the plot thickens......  I put a copy of the file onto my desktop and ran the sim, it stopped responding instantly, I then remamed the file to .old and fired up the sim and started in a different place but again it froze instantly, it (being my system) just does not seem to like this airport for some strange reason as every other airport works fine regardless of what is active for the sim be it scenery or aircraft.

At this point I am running a stock fsx so like yourself I'm struggling to pin down the culprit but I have every confidence it will be found and no doubt it'll be something so simple we'll kick ourselves for not seeing it sooner but hey that part of the fun of FSX and MS Eh!

Hi,

Ok, lets try from the top in this case. Can you completely uninstall KSTS through this process, and check if there are no problems present? Let me know.

FIRST set FTXCentral to [Global]

- Browse to FSX\ORBX\FTX_NA
- Delete the FTX_AA_KSTS folder

- Browse to FSX\ORBX\Scripts
- Delete orbx_cpl_KSTS and scenerylib_US_KSTS
- Run FTXconfigrator.exe (silent operation, it removes the scenery library entries)

Cheers

If suggest quarantining the files in halves. Create a couple of folders on your desktop and move half the bgl files into one folder. Run the sim and it if it crashes still then continue and remove half again into the second folder.

Start the sim again, if it crashes then the culprit is still there, if not then it's part of the half that got moved.

Using that process of elimination may hopefully narrow it down to one bgl.

Hi,

Ok, lets try from the top in this case. Can you completely uninstall KSTS through this process, and check if there are no problems present? Let me know.

- Run FTXconfigrator.exe (silent operation, it removes the scenery library entries)

Cheers

Hi Misha done that and have just reinstalled KSTS still locks the sim with the not responding msg.

If suggest quarantining the files in halves. Create a couple of folders on your desktop and move half the bgl files into one folder. Run the sim and it if it crashes still then continue and remove half again into the second folder.

Start the sim again, if it crashes then the culprit is still there, if not then it's part of the half that got moved.

Using that process of elimination may hopefully narrow it down to one bgl.

Ed by move the bgl's am I correct in thinking that I move half of the ksts bgl's in a temp folder on the desktop? will it still run even if they are not in the correct folder or is the sim clever enough to find them ? sorry if I sound dumb but I dont want to create more problems for myself ;-)

By removing the bgls, all will happen is that the scenery element contained in the bgl won't display - the sim won't run them at all. The purpose of the quarantining is to see if it can be narrowed down to a particular bgl file. Once a "suspect" bgl is singled out, the final test would be to put all the other bgls back in, leaving the culprit out and see if the sims still locks down.

Hi,

But did you check that the problems disappeared with KSTS uninstalled? That is what we need to know first. If not, please do the uninstall process again and check that the lock-up is gone with it uninstalled. If they are indeed caused by the airport scenery, then reinstall it, and begin quarantining files. The files most likely to cause problems are:

ORBX_KSTS_APX.bgl

ORBX_KSTS_CVX.bgl

Try taking these out of the KSTS scenery folder and check if it still locks up.

Cheers

Crashes for me also.  Will try again after a visit to PAJN.  I will try to be more specific but I also crash in the same spot setting up for KORS, KSTS, PAJN, KORS, 1S2 about 10 miles out as these are mostly setting up for approach..

When I restart my flight I will be close to the crash point as FSXAssist is auto-saving.  I can get past the crash point by going 16x speed, getting past the crash point, and quickly saving and exiting FSX.  Things usually work on a restart.  

There must be some radius / distance trigger causing this as it is the exact same behavior at each airport.

Regards

jja

Hi,

But did you check that the problems disappeared with KSTS uninstalled? That is what we need to know first. If not, please do the uninstall process again and check that the lock-up is gone with it uninstalled. If they are indeed caused by the airport scenery, then reinstall it, and begin quarantining files. The files most likely to cause problems are:

ORBX_KSTS_APX.bgl

ORBX_KSTS_CVX.bgl

Try taking these out of the KSTS scenery folder and check if it still locks up.

Cheers

Hi Misha the sim runs perfectly except for ksts so tonight after work I'll quarantine a few bgl's in particular the ones you mention and see how we go, incidentaly I have also uninstalled acceleration, done a repair on FSX and then reinstalled accel and ksts since my last post and the sim ran fine for over 20mins no stutters or ctd's or bsod so I'm hoping that's solved the crashes now just this one little airport and my sim world will be whole again ;-)

Sadly after moving the two bgl's above the sim froze when trying to run ksts, it gets to 100% the screen starts to load and just sits there, no scenery,aircraft nothing just grey bits but nothing recognisable. So I'm quarantining 20 bgls from the list and will see what happens.......

Well I got a partial runway some hils in the distance but it still froze so I'll put the first 20 back and move the next 14 and see what happens then........ Nope no change still locks up the sim

Hi,

You still haven't told me whether the problem disappears with KSTS uninstalled. Please go through this process once again and do not reinstall the KSTS airport package until you have checked whether the sim locks up at KSTS with just NCA:

Let me know what the result is.

Cheers

Hi Misha I followed the instructions to the letter but it still stops responding as soon as the first parts of KSTS load so the plot thickens???? Do you perhaps think a reload of NCA may help or could this cause other problems?

• 1 month later...

Hi Misha it's me again but this time I have good news I fixed it :) after not getting any input as to what to try for over a month (yes I know you guys are busy) I decided to try what I'd suggested but didn't get a reply to and that was to reinstall NCA plus patches then latest lib file and Bingo it worked, first when central was set to NA and now as I normally have it set to Global.

So finaly this topic can be marked as closed, thanks for your help  and now my ORBX world is complete until January when Meigs Field comes out ;-)

Archived