KMRY Locks up FSX

Ticker7

Hi Guys I have an unusual problem with KMRY in that if I start a flight there or change airports to there fsx just locks up and stops responding, yes I have ALL the latest updates and drivers and lib files and patches installed and fsx works fine at any other airport so I am at a loss as to why it should happen a t just this airport. I haven't changed any of my settings and have been through all my hd's to get rid of junk and defraged but still it locks up, I also uninstalled it re downloaded and re installed it but no change, so if anyone has a suggestion please let me know so I can use this nice looking airport scenery as I should be able to do.

G'day there,

A possible cause of lock-ups is sometimes attributed to duplicate APX files. Do you use any addon AI programs such as My Traffic etc? These often include APX files for many airports that may cause a clash. 

Also, do you only get the clash when loading a flight at the airport, or do you get one when also flying into the area from another airport?

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad, I have checked the Traffic 360 airport scenery folder and there isn't an entry for kmry there and the only apx type file I can find is one called westsim_KMRZ_APX_BGL which is in orbx/ftx_na/FTX_AA_KMRY/scenery folder should I have this in there as it references kmrz not kmry ?

G'day again,

No need to remove the KMRZ bgl - that is the APX for the secondary runway. A couple more things to try:

1. Fly into the airport from somewhere else - see if you get the crash when flying in.

2. Try disabling other addon sceneries via the scenery library - see if you can isolate the problem. 

3. Try disabling as many of the "extras" as you can think of to see if alters the result - AI, ground/vehicle/water traffic, advanced weather, flight planning software etc.

4. If you have a modified FSX.cfg, make a back up of this and try with a clean FSX.cfg file (deleting/moving it will automatically cause FSX to generate a clean version)

5. Try a new download from the FSS - there may possibly have been an issue when you downloaded it the first time?

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad I have tried to fly into kmry from out of the area but at around 12 miles out the sim started to slow down (fps) and by the time I was 6 miles out it was like a slideshow, I tried to disable the features in the control panel but kept getting error msgs saying it couldn't change the setting. So I thought I know I'll cycle ftx central but I'm now getting the error unhandled exception can't change when user mapped file open (I think it Said) This was a new download from the store so in theory it should be okay, so either I've screwed something up or this airport just doesn't like me :-( But seriously it does seem odd for just one airport to play up, what is the best way to remove it from the system and I'll try another download and maybe that'll fix it.

Hi again I have followed the guide in the link above and noticed this file was missing scenerylib_NA_KMRY

Now I don't know what it's for but once I've rebooted my system and reinstalled KMRY I'll check and see if it's there or not and report back.

Okay this is getting ridiculous, I've removed all traces of KMRY rebooted, reinstalled a fresh copy, started the sim at kmry with all options off and it loads great then just sits there for a while and bang white screen not responding!!!!. I go to FTX central and it wont change regions with giving me this error message.

************* Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.CopyBuildRestoreBat()
   at FTXCentral.FTX_Environment.ApplyRegionChanges()
   at FTXCentral.FTXC.Apply()
   at FTXCentral.FTXC.lblApplyButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5477 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

----------------------------------------
FTXCentral
    Assembly Version: 1.0.4.2
    Win32 Version: 1.0.4.2

Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Drawing

System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

f2dwhdtu

System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1

kohukebd

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

PLEASE can SOMEONE help me before I go completely mad, Oh and I deleted the last change file that central made but it still does this so I'm running out of options.

Todays Update. I have noticed that after reinstalling kmry it does load albeit slowly and worked okay but after I install the NCA patch it crashes fsx to the white screen of not responding so I'm thinking either I got a dodgy copy of the patch or there is something that is conflicting in the patch. So there ya go your challenge for the day Guys work that one out cos I'm stumped :-(

G'day again,

Sorry that is causing you so much grief. As a benchmark, what kind of performance are you getting at, say KRDD or KJAC? It should be expected to get approximately the same performance as KRDD (on my setup I get about 5fps better at KMRY), and around 5-10fps better than KJAC. 

Also, after re-installing KMRY etc, did you have a chance to try out some of my other recommendations? Particularly;

2. Try disabling other addon sceneries via the scenery library - see if you can isolate the problem. This is particularly in reference to non-ORBX addons. 

3. Try disabling as many of the "extras" as you can think of to see if alters the result - AI, ground/vehicle/water traffic, advanced weather, flight planning software etc.

4. If you have a modified FSX.cfg, make a back up of this and try with a clean FSX.cfg file (deleting/moving it will automatically cause FSX to generate a clean version)

I know they are general recommendations, but to be honest I'm quite stumped as to what may be causing the problem. We haven't had any other feedback regarding a similar problem, and if you don't have any other major issues with your FSX setup, then I strongly suspect that there might be another non-ORBX addon (whether that be scenery, AI, utility etc) that is causing a clash with KMRY. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad Just while I'm trying out your suggestions I have a question, " if you don't have any other major issues with your FSX setup, then I strongly suspect that there might be another non-ORBX addon (whether that be scenery, AI, utility etc) that is causing a clash with KMRY. "  If All the other ORBX airports and sceneries all work fine with whatever addons I may have running what is different in KMRY that doesn't like them? as it does seem odd that just one airport would do this also the only addon that may conflict was Traffic 360 and we've eliminated this earlier in this process, also I tuned off my av software just to see but it made no dif so I'll keep digging and see what the heck it is but as I said earlier why would it run allbeit a slow startup prior to putting the NCA1 patch in but after it just locks up straight away, could there be something in the patch perhaps??? I doubt it really but it does seem a bit sus to me but I'm no expert when it comes to programming stuff so I have to rely on your expertise Mate.

Edit: I have just done test flights at the two airports you suggested and was getting between 20 & 37 fps at both with no graphics problems or lockups and no changes made to any other addons that may be running so I'll try kmry again just to see what happens.

Okay Jarrad after testing fsx at KMRY yesterday it locked up with a white screen, so today I disabled ALL my addon scenery in the fsx scenery library and ran fsx to load at KMRY and guess what ???

It Locked up with the white screen, so my conclusion is so far that with no addons or utilities or anti virus or other software running I think that the copy of kmry that is on my downloads at the fsstore is faulty as I have every other airport scenery you guys have produced and not one has done this before even with all my addon scenery and av and addons running, so might I ask this be refered to a few more on the team to see if they may help us in our quest to sort out this problem. I might add that when I deleted the airport I also went into the registry and manually deleted any reference to KMRY so this was a fully clean install of the airport and this is without the NCA patch too so I am at a loss as to what else it could be as anywhere else in the FSX world works fine.

I will await any pearls of wisdom that come forth.

Mate to be be perfectly honest, you are going to get very similar suggestions from the rest of the team. We all watch these forums, I'm sure someone will pipe up if they have a suggestion :) 

Without access to your PC (and more importantly, having a look at your FSX setup), we can only offer diagnostic suggestions to try and isolate the issue. You are the only person who has reported a CTD/white screen problem with KMRY both in the support forums and during the extensive beta testing process, therefore I can only deduce the there is something unique to your setup that is causing the lockups. 

If All the other ORBX airports and sceneries all work fine with whatever addons I may have running what is different in KMRY that doesn't like them? 

From a design perspective, there is almost no difference between KMRY and other airports I have done recently, including KRDD. 

A couple of more things to try:

1. Have a look in your Flight Simulator X/scenery/world/scenery folder and see if there is a file in there called BR2_KMRY.BGL - if there is, rename this to .off - see if this makes a difference. If not;

2. Go to your ORBX/FTX_NA/FTX_AA_KMRY/scenery folder and temporarily disable Westsim_KMRY_APX.bgl and Westsim_KMRZ_APX.bgl - the scenery will look a little broken on the aprons and runways, but see if it gets normal performance. Either way, be sure to return these files back to original condition once you've done the test. 

3. If these don't work, if you are somehow able to take a screenshot before a crash that could be quite helpful in giving some visual clues. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad I checked for the first file but it wasn't there so I've renamed the other two files to .off and will try later today and see what happens. If you wanted to setup a time to have a squiz at my system as we are in the same time zone let me know and we'll sort it out if you have the time that is as I know you guys are always busy. Thanks for all the help so far Mate it's a mystery as to why this one airport just doesn't like my setup.

Well after renaming those two files to off KMRY loads and doesn't crash with the white screen, I had two control towers but I suspect that's because of those files not being used, So where do I go from here Jarrad ?? Btw I was getting between 25 and 45 fps allbeit in the trike.

No worries, so there is something in your setup that doesn't like these two files - they are the APX files for KMRY. There is something that must be clashing with these to cause the lockups. A couple more things to try:

1. Could you keep KMRZ switched off, but try re-enabling Westsim_KMRY_APX.bgl and see if you are still getting the lockup?

2. What addons do you have that would need access to the FSX airport database? Think weather addons, navigation/map aids, custom GPS gauges, or complex passenger aircraft that access nav databases (think PMDG 777 etc)? 

I still suspect there is something clashing with with the APX files for KMRY - now we've just got to figure out what it is. 

Cheers

Hi Jarrod, okay I re enabled the file you said and kmry loaded and ran no problems I then shut the sim down and re enabled the second file and kept the same sim settngs as I had previously and the the sim loaded but stopped responding straight away and the white screen was back so whatever the second file does something doesn't want to play nice with it. All my extra addons weather traffic etc are not running so shouldn't be using anything in FSX as none are set to start with the sim. What puzzles me is why does this one file at only one airport out of all the other ORBX airports I have do this it just doesn't make sense to me but as I said I'm no programmer so I'm relying on yours and the others to see if this can be figured out cos I bet it's as puzzling to you guys as it is to me, but we're not going to to let it win!!!

P.s I'm using the trike to test things so no radar or complex aircraft involved.

No worries,

Let me know what other addons you are using - even if they aren't "active" they still might be calling something in the background. As I mentioned - map/navigation software, FS Passengers-style programs etc are the most likely potential types of clashing addons. 

To be honest the KMRZ APX file isn't mandatory and won't cause any direct visual impairments - it's sole use is to control the secondary runway AI traffic. You can happily have this switched off with very little trade-off - as long as you keep the KMRY APX active you will fine. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad sorry for not getting back to you sooner Mate but life gets in the way sometimes, Anyway these are the addons I have/use, Active sky next, Rex ess + OD, FSTramp, FSX Go, Ts3, FSHost client,Traffic 360,EFB, FS Passengers. Now most if not all of these I don't have running when in fsx so I'm not sure how if they aren't in use they can call fsx for info unless I'm misunderstanding you. Hope this helps in finding what's going on.

No worries Ticker. It could be a clash with any combinations of those programs; unfortunately many of these fall outside of my area of expertise so I can't offer any further advise, except to say that the clash is definitely between the KMRZ APX file and another third-party addon. We do try our best to test with as many different programs as possible to flesh out any potential issues like this, however given the myriad of possible combinations it is impossible for us to catch them all. 

As I suggest a few posts ago, you will be perfectly fine to keep the KMRZ apx disabled until/unless you come across what may be causing the clash. You won't suffer any visual trade-offs, and the only downside will be that you won't be able to access the secondary runway from your ATC or go-to-airport menus - a small trade-off to avoid your CTD's. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Archived