Framerates Framerates Framerates!

flyguy737

Hi all I would like to know what settings and framerates people are getting with various hardware as I just upgraded my video card and still get no better then 10.9 to 27 around YMML no matter what I do unless I drop all back to low settings.

My old video card was PCI-e 7900

NOW have GTX260 Asus & 650Watt Power Supply

My whole System is:

Dual Core 3.16

E8500

2 Gig Kingston Ram

Asus 260GTX

I was told the 260 was better then a 9800GTX

There is some improvement.

::)

Colin

I was told the 260 was better then a 9800GTX

To be honest, there's not going to be a lot of improvement until the nvidia drivers settle down for these new cards. Give it a month or so and there will be some screamingly good drivers released for the 2XX series. The best advantage you may get is better headroom for textures if it's a 1GB DDR3 card (if that's an option for the 260?)

Guest Aussieman

Concerned about framerates??? Lock them at 25.

Another piece of advice regarding framerates. Turn the bloody framerate counter off!!! and sit back and enjoy the flight. You will never enjoy flightsimming if you are going to spend all your time worrying about framerates. If the sim runs smoothly then it is going ok.

The sooner Micro$oft remove it from flightsims the better.

Cheers

Pat

Hi Shane,

the human eye can only see 25 fps anyway

sorry, but this surprisingly persistent myth is false: human eyes can detect much more than just 25 fps. See, for example, http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_3.html and http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Cheers, Holger

sorry, but this surprisingly persistent myth is false: human eyes can detect much more than just 25 fps. See, for example, http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_3.html and http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Cheers, Holger

Hmm thanks for that Holger but it confuses me even after reading that as interesting as that is what then is the best or recommended Framerate for FSX?

Colin

Iread a article not so long back regarding FPS, The guy is a Raptor pilot for uncle sam he also said it was a myth about the human eye only registering 25 fps he has his FSX set to unlimited. But i dont sit there and watch my FPS what does it matter as long as you have fluent movement with your sim thats all i want. i must admit though sometimes i do go unlimited just to see what FPS i can achieve and sometimes im surprised how high they are.

It took a looong time before I could stop looking at the framerate counter. In the end it is a useless gauge because people like me are happy with 25fps but some people aren't happy unless they have FPS type performance. I guess I am a smooth flyer so don't need the FPS of  'twitch' type games! :-) Just joking, though there is some truth to it though. If you are into fast aerobatics with the Extra 300 then I think you need more FPS then those of us that fly heavies or GA aircraft in non-aerobatic environments.

25fps gives me smooth movement in the kind of flying I do, that is realistic GA flight. If I didn't have Track IR then 18FPS was enough for me though more was obviously nice.

Steven.

Frames are subjective.

I have an average to good system (amd 6000+ 2gig with a 9600gt).

Now I can suffer less scenery and get better frames, or slightly less frames and more scenery - at the end of the day it's what you're realistically expecting from your system.

I would be laughed off the forums if I could say I had 30+ frames per second with everything to the right at YMML, but in reality, I know my machine can't handle it.

I'm happy for approx 16~20 at a place like Ymml, in fact I think for what it's worth, I'd probably go lower - though doubt I'll be taking my 767 there in traffic.

But that same 16~20 frames works out to be over 30 in other areas, so it's hard to say what you should expect.  At the end of the day, you've got to enjoy what you're getting, and not worry about the frames.

My advice would be to switch the frame rate counter off and enjoy.

I used to spend so much time trying to get the best out of my various combat flight sims I found that I had totally lost the plot and wasn't actually playing them :-[

Strangely one thing I did discover was that the IL2/forgotten battles series used to run smoother with lower frame rates ???

So just get out there and FLY.

Mark :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, Holger

Hmm thanks for that Holger but it confuses me even after reading that as interesting as that is what then is the best or recommended Framerate for FSX?

Colin

I am in a position to know a little about this  ... and sadly there is even more non-scientific detail about this.

The key is that this is about subjective experience .. so if it looks good and feels good, then it is.

Concepts such as Critical Fusion Frequency (and the Broca-Sulzer effect, which one of these articles describes as being attributed to "after images ::)  don't really matter if you are enjoying fluid motion.

FWIW the figure is higher than 25 fps ... but who cares!

The question is, what do you want ??

Shooter FPS or flying an aircraft, enjoying the view with high visual settings ? I prefer 25 butter smooth locked FPS with out any TrackIR hick ups in a 360 turn above a very dense area and dense high poly traffic - instead of a 25 - 50 unlimited fluctuating  FPS stutter orgy... Hands down ! If i am not too lazy i change to 30 locked cross country, but i mostly forget this task because it is not that much a difference. However, yeah it's subjective and you can't argue about.

Flight simming is just an optical illusion. If you see on your 2D screen something that looks to you like a 3D version of looking out of an aircraft cockpit and things aren't jerking about all over the place then who cares how many frames per second that counter is counting? If it looks good, feels good then that's good enough.  ;D

Cheers Tony

• 1 month later...

Hey Flyguy, please tell me whether it is a deliberate play on words, or what.

I reckon it is.

Dorothy Mackellar wrote about a land of sweeping... plains .....  flat country.

But I like a pilot's use of the word ... planes ....

The red framerate counter takes up to 3 fps anyway, because it is something else through the choked up CPU to slow things down.

Go for smooth and forget the fps.

I use the counter to figure the best slider position for different areas or comparing any scenery/aircraft changes. I usually have it off to fly but when I'm fiddling with FS it's on. I'm glad MS haven't "wiped it out", it's like the on/off button on a TV set, you can always turn it off if you don't want it.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding framerates, the airport at YMML in the Tasmania demo does have a VERY high impact on framerate - for some reason. I go from a fluid 60fps for aerobatic soaring (looks tremendous on a 52" HDTV at 1920x1080!!) down to just above 30 fps(when I change Scenery Density from Sparse to Normal) which then stutters quite a bit during aerobatics. It is a detailed airport, but I should be able to have the basic buildings without such a serious impact - maybe break the airport into taxi quality at AboveNormal Density.

Guest Aussieman

See reply #5 in this thread!!!!!!!! then take a good look at the signature  ;D. Not a good idea to stir us GOFs too much  ::)

Cheers

Pat

Archived