Langoliers at large in the PacNW.

CBris

Not really a bug report, because the moment I looped round to take another shot with the LatLong showing, the darn crack in the scenery had disappeared...

Are "tears" in the world like this a common occurrence, or should we really start worrying about the Langoliers coming?

For those who go "Eh?" - well you missed a good Stephen King book.

This particular tear has occured en-route from Concrete to Darrington...

langoliers.jpg

langoliers2.jpg

I don't quite have the technical knowledge to explain this issue but it does happen when mesh is rendered, the solution to solving this issue is apparently having under lying lower LOD mesh in addition to a higher level LOD mesh product.  Meaning you would have a mesh of LOD 7-9 and mesh LOD 10+ enabled at the same time.  I think some mesh packages have both combined to avoid or minimize this issue.

I'm sure the Orbx folks can explain better than I ever could.

Here is an article about mesh that mentions mesh tears.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?13844-Introduction-To-Terrain-Mesh/view/2

Hi guys,

actually, all of our terrain mesh files use the FSX-native multi-LOD system so that's unlikely to be the issue although it does have something to do with elevation discrepancies between different LODs or terrain mesh files. Unless the FSX compiler creates those issues internally (which I doubt but is difficult to check) it's probably different mesh files being loaded other than just the intended one; in this case the mesh for FTX PNW. While in theory only the PNW mesh should be loaded most users have a bunch of other global or local mesh files on their system, not to mention the default mesh files, that may get accessed by the FSX terrain display engine. That's because FSX doesn't just consider the spatial resolution/LOD of a terrain mesh file but -- for files with the same LOD -- also the spatial extent. In other words, those occasional light blue "voids" may indicate different mesh files loaded at the same time. Headache territory, I know... :ph34r: 

Fortunately, those slivers are too infrequent to get annoying. If there's one around that really bugs you then a scenery refresh will typically take care of the issue because it forces FSX to be consistent in which mesh file it loads. World > Scenery Library > "OK" will do the trick, or assigning a key combination to the "Refresh scenery" event in the Options > Settings > Controls menu (Buttons/Keys tab); I use Ctrl-Shift-S but any unassigned combination will work.

Cheers, Holger

Hi guys,

actually, all of our terrain mesh files use the FSX-native multi-LOD system so that's unlikely to be the issue although it does have something to do with elevation discrepancies between different LODs or terrain mesh files. Unless the FSX compiler creates those issues internally (which I doubt but is difficult to check) it's probably different mesh files being loaded other than just the intended one; in this case the mesh for FTX PNW. While in theory only the PNW mesh should be loaded most users have a bunch of other global or local mesh files on their system, not to mention the default mesh files, that may get accessed by the FSX terrain display engine. That's because FSX doesn't just consider the spatial resolution/LOD of a terrain mesh file but -- for files with the same LOD -- also the spatial extent. In other words, those occasional light blue "voids" may indicate different mesh files loaded at the same time. Headache territory, I know... :ph34r:

Fortunately, those slivers are too infrequent to get annoying. If there's one around that really bugs you then a scenery refresh will typically take care of the issue because it forces FSX to be consistent in which mesh file it loads. World > Scenery Library > "OK" will do the trick, or assigning a key combination to the "Refresh scenery" event in the Options > Settings > Controls menu (Buttons/Keys tab); I use Ctrl-Shift-S but any unassigned combination will work.

Cheers, Holger

I too have experienced this, so far in England.  So what you are saying is that if you have two meshes installed, FSX tries to run them both?  Is there a way around that?  I use FTX V2, to set my areas, which in this case is England, so would two meshes (England and FTX Global) load at the same time?  That almost makes me think that would contribute to stutters, slowdowns and VAS overuse or am I completely offbase?

-Jim

Archived