NL2000 Yes or No.

Dadtom65

Hi Guys. Need a bit of advice. Just had a quick flight and a bit of slewing to check out the Netherlands, and in Global settings it looks very good. I know that Orbx will not be doing the Netherlands so is it worth buying the NL 2000 Netherlands or would it be better to just download the Netherlands Airports and stick to the Global side of things. I have seen it some where that the NL 2000 Airports go very well with Orbx Global. Is the NL 2000 better than the Global part. Thank you. Derek.

I've used NL2000 long before FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC Europe was out. For the early FSX times NL2000 was amazing. But nowadays I don't think of using it anymore, mainly because of the extremely long loading times of the PR textures. In the end they don't look really sharp as we are used from newer ORBX airports with photoreal coverage. Apart from that they look the same all over the year. This is why I'm not using any huge photoreal sceneries anymore. So, from my personal view I would say no. But it's your choice. And there is nothing that keeps you from trying the NL2000 airports together with the ORBX scenery. BTW, isn't NL2000 freeware/donationware anymore??

Oh, and don't forget that huge photoreal scenery areas aren't very useful if you want to avoid OOM's - which we have very easily in P3D anyway as we know.

Cheers, Dominik

I stopped using NL2000 mostly for the same reasons Dominik posted but also, maybe mainly, because imho the photo real textures look really bad in a lot of places... I know the addon is free so I am not complaining ;) but I didn't like the looks of it at all. Which is also the reason why I am still surprised Orbx decided to skip this little part of the world. I am still hoping Orbx will create something like FTX Benelux!

Thanks for your replies guys. Yes that is strange why Orbx are not doing the Netherlands. I always thought the reason Orbx were not going to cover the Netherlands was because NL2000 had done such a good job anyway. I did have the scenery when using FS9 and it was ok then, but have not used it since. So will stick to just getting the airports for that area. Perhaps some one in Orbx could say why they are not going to cover said aera, or if it has been commented on to point me in the right direction. Thank you Derek.

As far as I'm aware all of the NL2000 sceneries are completely free, and they have also been updated several times over the past few years.  I'm pretty sure at least some of the scenery now includes some seasonal variations. 

Cheers,

We are still busy updating our scenery, including working in P3Dv2.5, but that all takes time.

We are volunteers and have to do it in our freetime.

Our scenery is only in 2 seasonal versions : summer and winter, because of the spare available  photografic scenery.

And it will be freeware untill forever  ;-) ,

And it fits over the ORBX Global scenery andopen LC Europe.

I don't have Vector, so I don't know that part.

Joop

NL2000team

Archived