Strategy for capturing screenshots

arnobg

I browse the screenshots forum daily and drool over everyone's epic captures but it has made me wonder, what kind of strategy or system you all use to capture such unique shots.

For instance I see many shots during critical phases of flight that must have taken a few moments to set up to get the right angle right? Do you guys usually record the flight then go to a specific point and capture some shots, or pause it, or just capture them during the flight even if you are not straight and level?

Also what kind of add-ons are best other than the obvious EZdok that make a difference?

Well I use a simple method of pausing the sim and then just take the shot using the v key I don't have any fancy add ons for taking screenshots I then only resize them for the forum. All my screenshots even previews are straight from my machine and not touched up or any other photoshop or anything used.

cheers

Iain

I browse the screenshots forum daily and drool over everyone's epic captures but it has made me wonder, what kind of strategy or system you all use to capture such unique shots.

For instance I see many shots during critical phases of flight that must have taken a few moments to set up to get the right angle right? Do you guys usually record the flight then go to a specific point and capture some shots, or pause it, or just capture them during the flight even if you are not straight and level?

Also what kind of add-ons are best other than the obvious EZdok that make a difference?

Strategy is a big word ;) .  I just try to recap a nice flight I had and try showcase the scenery and/or the aircraft as I saw them on my screen. Nothing fancy. I don't have EzDok, the normal views are enough for me. When I post (rarely) I try to chain up pics as to give some dynamics to the viewing. 

I use the replay only for the landing which needs all my attention. For the rest, I just pause the game to avoid bluriness. I use the V key meaning that I've to convert the shots to jpg to post. I then use the batch processing function of the free version of Photoshop.

Now, from time to time, I take a shot and do some very heavy editing but that's an other story...

I used an app called Snagit for around 20 years, originally for capturing screens for use in documentation and then found it good for FSX. Then a friend drew my attention to a similar product called Gadwin screen capture. At first it was not as good as Snagit but after a recent upgrade I was hooked. The reason I use this over and above the "v" key is that I have it set up to save the pictures in jpg format in a folder of my choice and with a file name in a format of yyyy-mm-dd--hh-mm-ss.jpg. This allows the files to always be sorted by assending date order. Most files I store on my PC are in this format and it simplifies mass storage. Later I move batches of these files into folders and sub folders (yyyy\mm\dd plus brief label). This really simplifies mass storage.

Gadwin has a free and paid version. I went for the paid version (around US$20 I think) for the features I wanted. Other less important features are automatic boarders and signatures and/or watermarks.

I am like Iain, just straight v's with the only editing being cropping out the toolbar and some resizing.

I will replay take offs and landings and pause at what I consider a good moment and move the view around with the hat switch to get the best shot.

I like to set the auto pilot in flight so I can have the outside view and watch the scenery passing by.

I can then pause and move the view around again until I get the shot I am after.

Aircraft without an auto pilot I use shift+z so I can use those red words to adjust my height and hdg when in outside view, then pause and get rid of the offending letters and take my shot.

If a shot looks good to me then I take it, and if I don't like the look of it I delete it.

Archived