Bad FPS around Friday harbor

NeilG

Hi guys

does anyone else get inexplicably bad frame rates around Friday Harbor? Ive got a new rig, v powerful, thought I'd blow it away but it is almost as bad as it used to be under my old rig, which in itself was not a chugger. Strange thing as well was that in the course of reinstalling, started off well but by the time I got everything reinstalled in other parts of the world frame rates had halved. Anyway, wonder what people think?

Neil

My advice in these situations is to untick all relevant sceneries until you get frame rates restored and then bring each scenery in until you find the one most responsible, and work from there.

It is just NA. But of course when I say that the frames go up, I mean up to around 30 FPS with the default Trike Ultralite. And just to put this in context, yes - I max out the settings but I am presently sporting an i7 4790 and a GTX 970 with 16 GB RAM, and of course FPS is much better elsewhere. Just wondering why this particular area?

Before my last reinstall I believe I too was getting areas of bad fps around Friday Harbour and extending down towards  Seattle way.

I no longer get the problem which might indicate that whatever clashes were occurring have been fixed.  Howver I have absolutely no idea what they muight have been.  I do seem to remember there was some problem with the freeware Vashon for a while.  My advice if you haven't already done so is to check every relevant scenery is the latest update and all libraries are up to date.  Just to give you something to check here is the size of my OZx folder:

So... what you possibly could try if you wanted to spend some time investigating is to remove the contents of your OZx NA folder to another location outside FSX, and check performance.  Then reintroduce the contents of the texture folder.  Confirm all is good.  Then, grab handfuls of files from the Scenery folder and reintroduce them bit by bit.  Check performance in between.  (Make notes of which ones you are reintroducing each time!)

With luck you'll find that at some point your bad fps returns and the culprit will be found.  You might then have to live without a bit of the OZx NA scenery but that's a small price to pay I believe.

Chances are there's no fix for this.  A couple of years ago around the time YBBN was released I had an area north of YBBN where my sim would crawl, another near Longreach out in the middle of Queensland somewhere.  Several of the ORBX team tried to replicate my problem, no-one else had it.  After my last reinstall I no longer have the problem.  To this day I don't know what the problem was and I doubt I will ever know.

post-82-0-24852700-1432378389_thumb.jpg

Thanks John

Your right of course. With computers and all that we put on them, with all the different forms of combination, there are anomalies that are individual, that no one quite understands and which no one seems to be able to get rid of. At the same time these can right themselves. I will do what you suggest as I'm in the tinkering mood at the moment, what with new rig and all, and see what I come up with.

Neil

Archived