NCA - A gremlin at KSFO

Lukehall

(Running in P3D V2)

I'm absolutely loving the NCA region but I have a gremlin which is putting a bit of a damper on things...

My system usually runs at about 60 fps with all default aircraft, in all regions, at all times of day and with fairly heavy weather. However, in the KSFO area when I look in a precise direction my system suddenly suffers a massive performance hit. I first noticed it sitting on the ground on the threshold of runway 1R. If I pan slightly to the left in the direction of the airport terminal, my FPS drop immediately from 60 to 20-25 (often as low as 8-9 fps). There is nowhere else in any of the ORBX regions where this happens to me - even with all details maxed out.

I wondered if it might be something to do with the airport buildings but soon realised that if I slew up to 10,000ft excluding the nearer scenery from my field of view, the problem is still there. It seems to be direction dependant more than what I'm looking at within a few mile radius.The issue only manifests with Northern California active. With just Global active it does not happen.

I have tried isolating the problem by minimising all of my settings and turning everything off, but it makes practically no difference to the performance. In fact, my FPS varies by only a few going from minimum everything to maximum everything.

I have posted a few screen shots below which show the precise direction of view where the issue is apparent - All are from runway 1R starting panned over my left shoulder, through the problem view and around to the right and behind. I should point out that though it shows 25 fps in the 'bad' area here, it is more often 8-9 fps depending on the precise direction of view. That makes the simulator unusable!

Ok here...

1.jpg

Panning a bit to the right - Ok here too....

2.jpg

Then very suddenly when i go a bit more to the right....

3.jpg

A few more degrees to the right and all is ok again...

4.jpg

....and a bit further....

5.jpg

I can certainly understand a drop off in performance while viewing more complex scenery areas but this is such a sudden and significant hit that it makes me suspicious - particularly when I can't replicate anything even near it anywhere else.

I'm wondering if there is something corrupted in my ORBX/P3D installation, possibly?

Best wishes,

Luke

Just a thought...did you disable (1) marina and docks, (2) cranes and (3) marine lights located in the SF Bay Area region?  Those are options in the KSQL control panel.  If you don't have KSQL, then it's a matter of manually disabling three BQL files (by renaming them to add ".OFF"):

Under ORBX/FTX_NA/FTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY/scenery:

FTX_NCA_objects_SRA_marinas_ships_docks_PLC.bgl

FTX_NCA_objects_marine_lights_PLC.bgl

FTX_NCA_objects_CA_Oakland.bgl

It's those darn cranes for sure ;)

The same issues exist in Seattle which also has a dockside area heavily populated by cranes.

The models used for the cranes are existing FSX stock models and for some reason known only to the creators of the software (Microsoft), the dockside cranes model in particular has a huge impact on performance.

Whenever you have those models in view, you'll see the drop in FPS... and this is exactly what you're seeing in your low FPS screenshot above.

The same issues exist in Seattle which also has a dockside area heavily populated by cranes.

Is there an established procedure to disable those cranes in the Seattle area?

For the record, in the SF Bay Area, it is the following BGL file that apparently contains the crane definitions:

FTX_NCA_objects_CA_Oakland.bgl

Unfortunately not... The only way to "disable" the cranes in Seattle is to reduce the scenery complexity slider. This of course also affects the airports and other scenery too. Luckily, FTX airports (as provided by PNW) are designed to maintain most of their details at lower scenery complexity settings... But this is the only way to get rid of the Seattle cranes sadly. 

Thanks for your replies guys. Regarding turning down the scenery complexity... I have found that at KSFO it makes no difference if I have my complexity at min or max. Should I assume that putting it to min is not disabling the cranes etc?

Luke

Hi Luke,

anything less than a Scenery Complexity of Normal should deactivate pretty much all off-airport custom objects including the cranes. If you don't see a difference in fps with the slider to min then something else must be causing the fps loss. 

For the record the NCA_objects files mentioned above do not contain any of the default harbor cranes but rather optimized models of our own. However, they do place quite a few of the default marinas across the Bay area, which aren't gentle on fps either. 

Cheers, Holger

Hi Luke,

anything less than a Scenery Complexity of Normal should deactivate pretty much all off-airport custom objects including the cranes. If you don't see a difference in fps with the slider to min then something else must be causing the fps loss. 

For the record the NCA_objects files mentioned above do not contain any of the default harbor cranes but rather optimized models of our own. However, they do place quite a few of the default marinas across the Bay area, which aren't gentle on fps either. 

Cheers, Holger

Cheers Holger,

I have disabled the files as described above and that seems to have done the trick. I am now only seeing a very small reduction in FPS in that area. 

Thanks very much for everyone's help :-)

Luke

To help us combat low fps in Seattle area can you create a separate bgl in the next pnw patch to remove default cranes or allow us to just remove the cranes from the scenery while keeping scenery complexity slider higher? Especially with the just released KSEA scenery, thank you

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎19‎:‎29‎, B77X said:

To help us combat low fps in Seattle area can you create a separate bgl in the next pnw patch to remove default cranes or allow us to just remove the cranes from the scenery while keeping scenery complexity slider higher? Especially with the just released KSEA scenery, thank you

Good question! Any responses please?

I think managed the NCA work together with KSFO HD getting 16-20 fps on approach and in the airport with PMDG stuff, just disabled all the features on NCA's control panel.

There are other areas where flaps are low without FTX Regionals (Toronto, KORD, KMIA...) so 16-20 will do fine taking into account the visually-pretty NCA scenery is kept active.

KSEA is a different matter and FTX team must review and address the suggestion of poster B77X above.

One vender - iFly, has proven the community that nothing is impossible: their 747, which was horrible in fps rate and shelved by majority of users, was patched and optimized and now performs better than PMDG NGX, nevermind the 777.

Archived