New Processor and Motherboard

Daynas

HI all,

I am excited to get to the store (Fry's) to get myself a new motherboard and processor. I bought a new video card yesterday (4Gb Geforce GTX 970) which is supposed to be good but I don't  think I can get much from it as my processor is an Intel i7 950 @3.07 GHZ and now more than 5 years old. I got up this morning and thought to myself that since I have invested so much in Saitek products as well as all the Orbx add-ons I may as well go full on and get something amazing.

What would be a great CPU for me to buy? Any recommendations on motherboards? How about power sources?

I know that this topic has likely been raised many times but hardware talk is always fun... 

I think the obvious cpu choice would be the i7-4790K, with a base clock of 4Ghz, but people say it doesn't seem to overclock that well, i.e. relatively high temps.  For motherboards, probably any Z-97 would be just fine.  I built my system just over a year ago, with a 4770K which I haven't overclocked yet, mostly because I haven't really needed to.  It seems to normally run in turbo mode at 3.9Ghz, and with my Gigabyte Z-87 board and GTX-660 vid card, my frame rates in the Anchorage area with Orbx SAK and Aerosoft PANC, a known frame rate hog, are in the 60s with Very Dense autogen.  I haven't tested other areas like Seattle or San Fran since my recent re-install.  But any modern motherboard/cpu setup you get will likely perform at least this well but probably better, and will be very nice for you.

But yeah, Bruce's point, a couple hundred for a good motherboard, and $350-ish (?) for the 4790.  So that's a significant upgrade.

Thanks all. I think the Intel i7 4790k is within my price range at $325 at Fry's (Fry's is a popular computer store here in Northern California). My budge was for something under $400 so I think that looks good.

i use to live in indianapolis and really miss going to fry's, everytime something new came out i was right there,anyway i just upgraded to a i7 5820k and it clocks it 4.5ghz with ease, 379.00 for that cpu and supports ddr4, if you are more on a budget grab a 4790k which is clocked at 4ghz out of the box with the turbo boost of 4.4 ghz.now i spent 1,000 on my new rig and already have the asus gtx 970,for what it would cost to buy the 4790k setup, you might as well spend a little more and buy the x99 5820k.

cost for 4790k, cpu 339.00

cost for 5820k cpu 379.00

motherboard z97 100 up

motherboard x99  220 up

ram z97 ddr3 dirt cheap 16gb 150.00 up

ram x99 dddr4                16gb 189.00 up

i used a new corsair 100i gtx watercooler, the cooler is much easier to install on the x99 as well

5820k is 12 threads

4790k is 8 threads

x99 will last much longer as well

Thanks all. I think the Intel i7 4790k is within my price range at $325 at Fry's (Fry's is a popular computer store here in Northern California). My budge was for something under $400 so I think that looks good.

The 4790k runs turbo mode at 4.4 across all cores. I'm running one on a Z97 motherboard  with a 970 and I doubt you'll feel the need to OC anything.  Just don't skimp on the power supply - I'd look at 700-750 watts from any of the major manufacturers. Enjoy...

Doug

Intel 4790K

MSI Z97 Gaming 7

Noctua NH-U12S

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz

nVidia GTX 970

Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower

Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower

500GB SSD - Samsung 840

12TB HDD Internal - Western Digital Black

40TB HDD External - Western Digital My Book

2x Asus PA246Q ProArt 24" 1920x1200

4x Plextor PX-891SAW DVD-RW

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

i am able to do 4.5 ghz across 6 cores,almost all of the 5820k's will do at least 4.2ghz by what i read, the x99 cpu's use solder instead of thermal paste, i bought the msi x99-A set the core voltage at 1.3v at 4.5 ghz, which is what linus tech tips said use as a starting point,i left it at 4.5 ghz and slowly turned the voltage down until the os crashed,i was able to set it to 4.5ghz at 1.245v and idles at 29c and maxes out at 61c with the cooler i bought.good luck with your build,i had alot of fun and you can render videos great with quad channel ram and 12 threads. just make sure you buy 4 sticks of ram, i bought 4x4=16 gb and you will have 4 slots left for a later upgrade.has to be 4 sticks to run quad channel

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4ixZE7EWo

I have "just" brought a X99 for "the new Sim world...cant wait".... but have set it for a hold for now (until Win 10 is out) Win 8.1 Dos'nt suit me well.

But on a "budget" i concur that the 4790K  and (8 Gb RAM-1600-1866-2133Mhz on a good Motherboard (ASUS:) ::) is the best You can get.

The 4790K CPU dosnt have the heating isue  when overclockt as the 4770K.

If You OC the CPU You need a decent watercooler ei.. Coolermaster 280, Corsairs serie or an agressive Homemade one. ::)

Dont forget a good/stabel (Silver to Gold...or platinium)  PSU not smaller than 750W (Depending of your GPU, of course).

The Graphic card is (as i se it) depending on the Screen(s)  resolution, so there You have to "count the Pixels"  :blink:

First thing to consider is ..How many screens (Pixel)= how many Watts(PSU) is needed, how- big GPU is needed.

Just my 2 cents.

Henrik

I use a 4790K.

It overclocks to 4.6G easily (no voltage increase), and runs at 50 degrees max with a coolermaster  hyper 212EVO standard cooler.

You won't regret the 4790K.

Thanks Brett. I think I will do exactly as you say and get the i7 5820k. Going to Fry's now...

Before you go for the 5820k you REALLY need to go here:  http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K .  Unless you're doing a lot of multi-thread processing (video editing, etc.) the 4790k may, in fact, be the better choice for essentially single-threaded applications like FSX/P3D. But, as always, YMMV.

Doug

yes but some current games already support more than 4 cores, such as battlefield 4,x-plane,if he buys the 4790k setup now, he would have to turn around and buy ddr4 all over again after purchasing ddr3, i am looking at future proof not just fsx and p3d,i spent 1,000 for an upgrade and i went from a 4790k setup and sold it for 600 when i parted it out, so i really only paid 400 for the upgrade,skylake for instance is gonna be ddr4, he would at least be able to use the ram he is buying for future build,the x-99 will last much longer than the z-97 setup, just my opinion.going from scratch i would have gone for the x99 and not much more expensive.

I don't disagree Brett. I was just addressing this from the standpoint of the Flightsims. There seems to be a strong consensus that the 4790k is the better choice is it's for FSX/P3D only. Putting other things into the mix will, of course, change things a bit.

Doug

Thats true too,I was just trying to save him from having to upgrade so quickly in the future, I agree the 4790k is better for some single threaded apps, but hopefully that will change over the next year when dovetail releases the new flight sim,I had the 4790k and now have the 5820k and the 5820k did much better for me personally, sure its gonna be different for everyone :-)

OK folks. Just made the drive to the Fry's in Palo Alto (a Fry's next to Stanford University in the heart of Silicon Valley would be certainly the epicenter of geekiness...)

I made the the choice of going with the i7-4790k. They just didn't have the 5820k in stock.

Also purchased the Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard and increased my power supply to 860w (it is 700 now). Also purchased a 1TB WD 7200RPM hard drive (I have 500GB now but probably made a bad decision at 1Tb as that will fill up quickly.

Thanks all! Your advice was greatly appreciated and made my decision making much easier.

hey Daynas you still made a great choice, if you have a really good cpu,most of the 4790k's will go to 4.6-4.7 ghz very easy and if you are real lucky 4.9ghz whatever you do just don't pass the 1.3v mark on that cpu or you take a chance at damaging the cpu,i know the old intel i 7's were being volted 4 volts and a little over,better safe than sorry.even ran at stock speed, its worth the money.

Many (most?) Z9x motherboards have a bios setting that will set the 4.4 Ghz OC on all four cores. It's probably called something like multi-core enhancement. My MSI board had it turned off by default. Easy to turn on though. I compared it to a 4.7 OC and found the difference in FSX to not even be noticeable (but..the CPU temps were considerably higher at 4.7).

Doug

I finished the last piece of the whole build last night by installing FX Steam version. I have been building my own computers since 2001 and every time there has been something that doesn't work that takes me hours and hours to fix. This time I simply put in all the components and powered on the computer and it worked perfectly. Unbelievable how easy it was to put together. No need for troubleshooting at all.

The only issue I had was installing by version of Vista and then the Windows 7 64 upgrade version. Took me a while to get the upgrade number to work but it finally let me in. I am installing all my Orbx products (I think I have bought a good majority of them) which will take me all morning. I will then test this whole thing out later today.

Do you all think 8GB of DDR3 is good enough.

Funny lesson learned this morning.... I have always thought that each memory card was 6GB each as each card is written with "GB (3x2GB)" when in fact you need two of those cards to equal 6Gb. I have always thought my motherboard isnt reading the memory slots correctly (my Homer Simpson D'uh moment).

Also since FlightSim is only 32bit whats the point in investing more than a bit of RAM? (My computer is only used for Flightsim).

Thanks. I will buy a 2x8gb combo and leave the other 2x2GB combo in the motherboard which will bring me up to 20GB.

Never had a chance yet to actually try FSX on my new computer as it took close to 6 hours yesterday installing all the Orbx add ons.

Thanks. I will buy a 2x8gb combo and leave the other 2x2GB combo in the motherboard which will bring me up to 20GB.

Never had a chance yet to actually try FSX on my new computer as it took close to 6 hours yesterday installing all the Orbx add ons.

If you are on a "Budget", i mean if you dont have any other Hardware/Software you are in need for (Missing), so, fine go for 16GB Ram,

but if there are things like hint,hint  OrbX Scenery or some Planes or Controllers or other stuff, You need, then i would go for 2x4Gb Ram 1866-2400Mhz..

As i understand, you will only use the PC for FSX and there 8Gb of Ram is plenty.

Another thing is that i dont think, You can use your old Ram (2x2Gb) in conjunction with the new ones, and also expect  to Overclock,

in fact i dont think You are able to Boot Your PC at all.

Thats just my 2 cents  ::)

I hope You are glad for your new  Rig...as we say in Denmark "Pøj Pøj"   :smile:

Best regards

Henrik

Thanks all. I think I will stick with the 8GB I have now and see how it works and will use the extra cash for another Saitek panel....

I think you all are right. Putting a combo of RAM in the motherboard wouldn't work...

Thanks all. I think I will stick with the 8GB I have now and see how it works and will use the extra cash for another Saitek panel....

I think you all are right. Putting a combo of RAM in the motherboard wouldn't work...

Good choice!

Doug

mismatching ram is never a good idea,it should always be the same ram, and speed and even try to get the same binned ram, meaning the same serial number on it if possible,putting 2 typles of ram in a motherboard is just asking for trouble,also z97 board should only use 2 slots if possible,if you use all 4, its harder on the memory controller and can kill any if not all overclocking capabilities your cpu have.the 4790k is gauranteed to get 4.4 ghz with all slots filled,but all 4 can be hard in some instances,more heat,higher voltage is often needed and its not worth it.

mismatching ram is never a good idea,it should always be the same ram, and speed and even try to get the same binned ram, meaning the same serial number on it if possible,putting 2 typles of ram in a motherboard is just asking for trouble,also z97 board should only use 2 slots if possible,if you use all 4, its harder on the memory controller and can kill any if not all overclocking capabilities your cpu have.the 4790k is gauranteed to get 4.4 ghz with all slots filled,but all 4 can be hard in some instances,more heat,higher voltage is often needed and its not worth it.

You are absolutly right there, my friend. ::)

Out of contexts of this thread, I have to say, for the X99 Motherboard its even more essential that you dont blent RAM-Blocks. ???

If you buy 4x4=16 Gb Ram DDR4, and will upgrate, then  you have to buy a new set... say 4x8=32Gb-or 8x-4Gb. You cant use the old Ram  in that conjuntion, no matter what. :wacko:

Henrik

Archived