FSX Steam edition

Dazkent

Hello

I am been seeing and reading a lot of positive things about FSX steam edition and I am wondering if it's really worth switching from boxed to the steam edition, Does anyone have any personal experience of the steam edition, would really like to hear the good and the bad, I have heard that it's more stable and a smoother experience overall

many thanks

Darran

P.S sorry, i just noticed another thread, please feel free to delete this post

Hi Darran

Curiosity really got the better of me and I have built a new rig out of spares I had. Gigabyte MOBO, I72600k OC 4.6, 8g G-Skill ram, GTX 580 card, 850watt PSU, etc

So on a clean windows 7 pro install I added FSX SE, FTX Global, FTX EU Landclass, REX Essential OD, UT2, UK2K EGLL and updates to all.

Not only is what I have seen so far 'Beautiful' (nice one on the LC Orbx team), it is 'Smooth As Glass'!

I don't use add-on planes on my scenery PC's though.

I am not too sure if my smoothness is to do with very little add-ons but it is very smooth - LOD 6.5, TML 2048, all sliders to the right except water and autogen, they are one notch back and UT2 is at 50% airliners only.

Not sure if this helps you or not?

EDIT - BTW I was using the ORBX stormy WX theme when testing.

I am using Steam now. What I did was start fresh with a clean install of Windows7 and FSX:SE. I did not install FSX side by side.

I had absolutely no problems with any ORBX installers as they find FSX:SE without any interventions.

I also use PMDG, REX4 and ASN and with the latest updates those all work fine too.

I was using Ultimate Traffic 2 but abandoned it since they stopped supporting it years ago so I switched to MyTraffic 6. That one is not very user friendly so it can take a bit of tinkering to get going, once it works it is a great product especially for the price. 

So right now I have everything working from Scenery, weather aircraft and AI Traffic without any glitches. I am glad I migrated over as it does work better and I have yet to have an OOM

Thanks for the feedback, i have decided to give it a try so have uninstalled my boxed edition and just downloading now, even managed to work out how to save it to a different location.

Thanks for the feedback, i have decided to give it a try so have uninstalled my boxed edition and just downloading now, even managed to work out how to save it to a different location.

Let us know how you get on please.

I'm intrigued - for me it is very good.

I switched to the Steam edition recently and to be honest, it was the best move I've made. It works much better than the old boxed version for me - I have been able to crank all the graphics options far higher than I could previously and it runs much more smoothly, no stutters and the VAS usage is a lot lower, meaning I can put more detailed planes and scenery on all at the same time. I picked it up for £4 too when it was on sale!

miloguyaus, I can confirm that A2A aircraft work flawlessly on the Steam edition. I haven't tried Carenado planes but I don't see why they wouldn't as I don't think there's anything too complex with them.

PMDG - I have noticed an issue with the J41 - the IAS hold function on the autopilot doesn't work. I think PMDG are looking into this though. The NGX works from what I have seen.

can you tell me if caranado , a2a and pmdg planes work with the steam edition ?

A2A and Carenado all work perfectly. As for PMDG, the newer generation aircraft (ngx, 777) have been patched to work, however there are some issues with the older generation aircraft.

Archived