Proper Procedure to Reinstall Regions & Airports?

vpweb

Due to a recent computer upgrade (AMD to Intel) I was forced to reinstall Windows and FSX and then proceeded to reinstall all my ORBX NA Regions and airports.  The first region I reinstalled was the PNW Region with all the patches.  I then started to install one of several ORBX PNW airports I purchased (Jefferson County International) whereby I came across the following message that made me hesitate to continue with the airport installation:   ** Latest PNW Patch Required ** To ensure correct integration of coastlines, elevations, and other aspects of PNW, you must install the latest PNW.00X patch after this installer.  You can find it here: http://www.fullterra...upport.html#pnw   ** Latest ORBX Libraries Recommended ** To ensure that you have the latest objects you should always download and install the latest version of the ORBX libraries from here: http://www.fullterra...t.html#orbxlibs The version included with this installer is 111207. 

I took note of the fact that this note made it clear that the latest PNW patch must be installed after the airport is installed.  Since I had already installed all the PNW Regional patches I wasn't sure what to do next.  When I went to the FAQ section of the is Forum I came across an April 2009 posting entitled Installations Instructions for Installing ORBX Regions which indicted that you install the Region and patches first followed by the airports but no mention of installing the latest Regional patch after the airports are installed. 

Question:  Does one need to install or reinstall if already installed the latest Regional patch after a regional airport is installed as indicated by the airport installation warning?  And if so, since I have a number of other NA Regions and airports to reinstall, would the following be the most efficient and logical way to proceed:

1.  Install all the regions first with all but the most recent patch

2.  Install all the airports and when done install the most recent patch for each region.

3.  Lastly install the most recent library update.

clean install :

fsX

SP1 + SP2 or Acceleration, make you settings for Controllers, Graphics, etc., etc.

test if all works OK

REX, UTX, FS Genesis, FS Global etc etc + their recommended patches and or updates

test if all works OK

AU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

AU airports + all updates and patches

test if all works OK, possible need for installing latest library files

NA regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NA airports + all updates and patches

NZ regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NZ airports + all updates and patches

EU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

EU airports + all updates and patches

set FTX Central to default

FTX Global, make sure to make a backup copy when prompted by the installer

run the latest library files

that should about cover it imho

clean install :

fsX

SP1 + SP2 or Acceleration, make you settings for Controllers, Graphics, etc., etc.

test if all works OK

REX, UTX, FS Genesis, FS Global etc etc + their recommended patches and or updates

test if all works OK

AU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

AU airports + all updates and patches

NA regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NA airports + all updates and patches

NZ regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

NZ airports + all updates and patches

EU regions + all updates and patches

test if all works OK

EU airports + all updates and patches

set FTX Central to default

FTX Global, make sure to make a backup copy when prompted by the installer

run the latest library files

that should about cover it imho

So based on your outline above  the message warning that appears prior to starting the airport installation that reads ** Latest PNW Patch Required ** To ensure correct integration of coastlines, elevations, and other aspects of PNW, you must install the latest PNW.00X patch after this installer  is misleading.  You would only need to install the latest regional patch after the airport installation if it hasn't already been installed before you install the airport.  You don't need to reinstall the latest regional patch afterwards if it was already previously installed.  Correct?

I'd say thread very carefully, calling things "misleading" is a bit over the top, various post where made at the time of release of the different sceneries and represent the status of things at that time.

basically install a region with all it's patches and updates, and make sure you install the latest library files last, with the new FTX Central it will tell you what you need to update and or patch

I'd say thread very carefully, calling things "misleading" is a bit over the top, various post where made at the time of release of the different sceneries and represent the status of things at that time.

basically install a region with all it's patches and updates, and make sure you install the latest library files last, with the new FTX Central it will tell you what you need to update and or patch

Wasn't attempting to be controversial but I hope you understand how confusing that very definitive statement was about installing the latest PNW patch after installing the Jefferson County International airport.  If that statement was true once but is no longer valid I think it would be wise for ORBX to change the installation program instructions statements for this airport and any others that may have the same instructions.  It conflicts with the instructions I found on FAQ as well as what you laid out. 

If a customer who bought his first airport for the NW Region and it happened to be Jefferson County and got those instructions and already had the latest patches already installed he would either be unsure what to do next or take them literally and reinstall the latest patch.  I have no idea if reinstalling the latest patch over the same patch that was already installed would cause an issue.  If not then I suppose it's not important other than the fact that like me I wanted to check first before I proceeded given I had found conflicting information.  As I have all the other NA regions to install, plus their patches, and a number of airports I didn't want to proceed with a time-consuming faulty installation process that would lead future performance issues.

I wonder - how easy would it be to keep a comprehensive, up-to-date (and updated) install guide in pdf format somewhere on the ORBX site, then simply link to that document in each new scenery's "readme" file?

That way, the readme file itself can stay generic (so you don't have FSS re-packing problems), but the full guide can be updated as and when new scenery is released or procedures change for some reason.

Not everyone is a seasoned FTX user - or indeed a frequent visitor to these forums.

Adam.

I wonder - how easy would it be to keep a comprehensive, up-to-date (and updated) install guide in pdf format somewhere on the ORBX site, then simply link to that document in each new scenery's "readme" file?

That way, the readme file itself can stay generic (so you don't have FSS re-packing problems), but the full guide can be updated as and when new scenery is released or procedures change for some reason.

Not everyone is a seasoned FTX user - or indeed a frequent visitor to these forums.

Adam.

An excellent suggestion!

Installing a patch over a patch results in the patch being INSTALLED. 

It just overwrites the old files with the same files that were there.

I assumed that was likely the case but didn't want to move forward without knowing what the correct procedure was. 

Archived