Does Release Of New Orbxlibs And FTX Central v2 Solve FSX + FSX:SE Concurrent Install?

It has been previously announced that Orbx users would not be able to have FSX and FSX:SE installations simultaneously.

One of the earlier posts in this forum was a work-around involving a registry modification that would redirect installations to FSX:SE. It would be necessary to have two full installations of Orbx products and FTX Central (v1?).

It was also discussed somewhere that some sort of switcher to do this as well as Orbxlibs modifications were under study/in the works.

The release announcement for the new Orbxlibs and FTX Central v2 included reference to a .pdf with instructions for using FTX Central v2 which (at least as I read it) didn't seem to be addressing any FSX versus FSX:SE usage issues.

What exactly does this release do. If it allows concurrent installations, how do we use it?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Orbx12

I am using the new FTX Central v2 to control two installations of all my Orbx products on two different sims and FTX Central v2 works perfectly allowing me to see what products I have in each sim, check insertion points and use the Configuration tool, again in both sim's.

My sim's are FSX-Steam Edition and P3D v2.5 and I am using FSX to install everything I have in flightsimming including Orbx and freeware together with products from Aerosoft, UK2000, NL2000, Scotflight and many more.

I use P3D v2.5 to install all my Orbx products only including Orbx freeware.

Both of these sim's operate without problem and I am more than satisfied with the outcome.

Kind regards

Ian

Ian and Ed,

Ian and Ed,

Thanks for your quick replies.

I still can't download the Orbxlibs + FTX Central v2.0 to try anything.

Ian - Can you provide a bit more detail on how you are getting the Orbx FTX installers to access your FSX:SE installation. Per your comment, "I am using FSX to install everything I have in flightsimming including Orbx". If only FSX:SE is installed, do the Orbx installers pick up Steam\steamapps\common\FSX path or whatever like they do the correct locations with FSX:Boxed?

Ed - Is this why John Venema asked customers to chose what version of FSX they would use? With only FSX:SE, your installers and FTX Central v2.0 pick up the install locations properly?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

Ian and Ed,

Ian and Ed,

Thanks for your quick replies.

I still can't download the Orbxlibs + FTX Central v2.0 to try anything.

Ian - Can you provide a bit more detail on how you are getting the Orbx FTX installers to access your FSX:SE installation. Per your comment, "I am using FSX to install everything I have in flightsimming including Orbx". If only FSX:SE is installed, do the Orbx installers pick up Steam\steamapps\common\FSX path or whatever like they do the correct locations with FSX:Boxed?

Ed - Is this why John Venema asked customers to chose what version of FSX they would use? With only FSX:SE, your installers and FTX Central v2.0 pick up the install locations properly?

Thanks,

Steve

To get FSX-SE to load in your computer, you must have no trace left of FSX (old). Either you must start with a clean disk that has never had FSX installed on it or you must use a registry cleaner to make sure that all traces of FSX have been removed.

I started with a clean computer and loaded FSX-SE. The sim loads and shows as FSX into Steam\steamapps\common\FSX and to all intents and purposes acts like FSX and yes, that is why JV asks customers to only have one or the other, FSX-SE or FSX and not both.

Follow this link when loading FSX-SE and you will have a trouble free install. http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/92886-orbxlibs-150215-released-features-new-objectflow-dll-patched-ftx-central/

Good luck

Kind regards

Ian

It is all a matter of paths. If you have FSX installed, or any remnant of FSX with a path link, when you install FSX-SE you will wind up with two sets of paths, one to FSX and one to FSX-SE.  If you have a clean PC and install FSX-SE the path will be FSX, just as if you had installed Microsoft's FSX.  Any installer will see the path it expects and install correctly.  Some of the old ORBX products also install parts of old ORBX libraries which change the path in the ORBX folder xml scripts to FSX.  You can change them manually to point to FSX-SE, but it is a major annoyance if you are reinstalling a lot of ORBX products.  The registry change required to point to FSX-SE will not change, so you only have to perform that task once if you have both FSX and FSX-SE installed.  As you only have FSX-SE installed any installer will see the FSX path and install properly (theoretically).  I say that because I have not gotten Active Sky or Pilot's FSX Global 2010 working yet in my new install.

Archived