KSEZ Sedona, Arizona... Mesh and Texture resolution settings in P3D v2.4

Orbx Flyer

Jarrad, what was the mesh resolution and texture resolution setting you used, to build KSEZ?

What should both Texture and Mesh be set to, for P3D v2.4 for best KSEZ viewing?

There are some peaks, like the Twin Sisters, that are very low res in depiction, and even somewhat blurry. There are some others as well.

Thanks.

G'day there,

Mesh should be set at 5m and ground resolution at 7cm - the same as for all our airports. The mesh resolution for the KSEZ area is 10m and the ground resolution is 1m (outside town) and 30cm (airport and townsite) - this is the same format that has been used in several of my other airports including KPSP , KBZN and KJAC. We did go to quite some lengths to source higher-res DEM, however the nothing was available for the area and/or reasonably priced (one quote we got was the same price as a family car!). Turning up LOD radius as far as your system can handle it certainly helps for mountainous areas such as KSEZ, KPSP or KJAC - it won't change to resolution up-close but it will give far better definition to topography in the middle and further distance.

Cheers,

Jarrad

G'day there,

Mesh should be set at 5m and ground resolution at 7cm - the same as for all our airports. The mesh resolution for the KSEZ area is 10m and the ground resolution is 1m (outside town) and 30cm (airport and townsite) - this is the same format that has been used in several of my other airports including KPSP , KBZN and KJAC. We did go to quite some lengths to source higher-res DEM, however the nothing was available for the area and/or reasonably priced (one quote we got was the same price as a family car!). Turning up LOD radius as far as your system can handle it certainly helps for mountainous areas such as KSEZ, KPSP or KJAC - it won't change to resolution up-close but it will give far better definition to topography in the middle and further distance.

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thank you, Jarrad, most helpful info.  I run LOD at 6.5 in FSX:MS, and as far as I understand, P3D runs the same LOD, baked in.  As I stated, just a few peaks are low textured, and blunt, with no true detail as per RL.  There are two twin peaks just off the half-way point in the runway to the south that are quite blunt, blurry textures...so might you have a look at that...perhaps there is something missed in the scenery files perhaps.  That's my only down-side comment to this great scenery pack...having real satisfaction with it.

Cheers,

PNW.

Thanks PNW, 

I know the points you talk about - unfortunately the DEM resolution at 10m isn't enough to replicate features as small as that, I doubt even a 5m resolution mesh would pick them up either. But certainly something to consider as an individual POI for a future SP. 

Thanks again for the feedback,

Cheers,

Jarrad

Archived