question regarding the FTX Definitive Guide v2

abta

Hi guys,

recently I reinstalled FSX on my new PC. I followed the older orbx guide and deactivated the User Account Control (UAC) by pulling the slider all the way down. I heard that this would make it unnecessary to install as administrator, if you have deactivated the UAC. So I installed everything without running the installers as admin.

Now I saw the new orbx guide and it does not talk about the UAC, but recommends to install as administrator, which I didn`t.

Do I have to worry now?

Hi Abta...

Unless you are noticing errors or problems, you should be just fine... when UAC is off and you are logged on as an adminstrator, a regular install should work.

Installing as administrator (right clicking then selecting the option) is simply a way to ensure that Windows knows to install with full permissions... Kind of an "installation insurance" ;)

Sometimes I get a message after installing an add-on. It says the program maybe was not installed correctly.

Nevertheless it seems to work in FSX, but I am always unsure about it.

So do you recommend to do a complete reinstallation and run everything as administrator with UAC turned off?

A full reinstall shouldn't be required, but if you want peace of mind regarding your Orbx products, simply installing them again will overwrite any previous installation... Just make sure to set the correct region in FTX Central before installing patches.

Sometimes I get a message after installing an add-on. It says the program maybe was not installed correctly.

Nevertheless it seems to work in FSX, but I am always unsure about it.

So do you recommend to do a complete reinstallation and run everything as administrator with UAC turned off?

The advice in the past, I believe from John V. himself, is to ignore that message.

Ok, you helped me a lot. I will install as administrator in the future. Does that mean that I can turn The UAC back on? Thanks for your patience.

@ Stewart Hobson: Thank you. Good to hear that these messages can be ignored

You can turn it back on, but to be honest, UAC is more of a hindrance than it is useful. As well as giving you all those annoying messages, it can often decide on your behalf (without informing you) that something is "unsafe"... this can cause issues with installation.

I personally would recomend leaving it turned off, but if you prefer to have if on, just turn it off prior to installing any Sim software addons... not just Orbx.

Archived