Sound when selecting aircraft

Rimshot

Hi all,

Sometimes things happen I cannot figure out. Out of a sudden (at least I'm stumped what caused it) I get a sound when I select an aircraft in the FSX selection menu. The moment I click any aircraft Windows plays the default sound 'ding.wav'. Has anyone ever had this weird problem before? You can imagine I find it very annoying and I hope someone will know a solution for this. I also posted about this at other forums and there seem to be others that got the sound out of the blue...

Is this not a default windows sound? Turn windows sound to none and check again.

It is indeed the Windows default sound. Shutting down all system sounds in Windows control panel eliminates the problem. (I already had tried that, but forgot to mention this in my original post). Ofcourse doing this eliminates all system sounds. I posted here and elsewhere to evaluate if others experience the sound upon selecting an aircraft as well, and if it has always been like that. I am quite positive the ding.wav never sounded before when I selected an aircraft. Something must have triggered it...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

In FSX, select " Sounds" , then uncheck the box that says " user interface sounds".

Sue, it is not a FSX interface sound I'm talking about. If you select these in the FSX sound options you'll get a 'dry click' sound. The issue here is that FSX plays the Windows default sound, a file called 'Ding.wav', upon selecting an aircraft.

I've posted over at another forum and reveived this reply by a guy named Paul:

It's not a "Windows" configurable item.

I think the 'ding' is played by the IE window/activeX control used by the FSX GUI

Windows update may have applied a correction to the SxS assemblies,

which changed behaviour of that IE window/activeX control,

exposing a previously non-working "ding" call.

I'd need to run Process Monitor on an old FSX non-updated installation to confirm.

It certainly affected the behaviour of the tabbed dialog mechanism

as used on the Mission briefing pages

Looks plausible to me. It really may have been triggered by one of the Windows updates.

Archived