FTX used with Prepar3d and FSX SE on same machine

kejohansen

Hi

First of all I want to say hi to you all, I'm new on this forum and also quite new in using the FTX stuff.

I have now encountered a problem due to having both Prepar3d and FSX Steam Edition on the same computer. I have read on this forum that I can install FTX for both p3d and FSX on the same machine, but this is not working with my setup, unfortunately.

I have had FSX and p3d installed since long back, but found out about FSX SE a while ago, and installed it since I couldn't really use the box isntalled FSX anymore due to compability problems with Windows 8 and 8.1. This have apparently been solved with the Steam Edition and FSX works fine now. When I decided to purchase FSX I decided to install it on p3d first since that sim has a straigt forward local installation (D:\prepar3d).

Now I want to make the installation in FSX Steam Edition as well, but get into trouble. After selected FSX for the installation in the FTX setup dialouge box I get the following error:

Radio Buttons 01> On Next, Line 10; Argument 2 must be of type string.

Stack Traceback:

1: [Radio Buttons 01> On Next] Line: 10 in main chunk

I think it might be caused by the fact that steam edition is installd in a bit unortodox location, D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX which the installation program cant locate? And I don't get any opportunity to lead the installation software in that direction manually?

Or could it be any other problem perhaps?

I would be happy if any of you simmers could have any advice in this matter.

Best regards,

Knut-Erik

I suspect what is happening is that you still have left over FSX install information from your previous FSX installation, lurking in the system registry (Uninstalling the old FSX does not remove that information, oddly).

So what's happening now, is the FTX installers are querying that location in your registry and trying to locate your old FSX location which no longer exists.

Luckily, there is an easy fix :) perform. Google search for "FSX REGISTRY FIX"... links for several should appear, I generally prefer the Flight1 version. Simply run it, input your new FSX location, and it will make the registry corrections for you. Then run FTX installers as before.

One word of caution... FSX Steam Edition is not technically supported just yet... there are a few minor compatibility fixes still required, which are currently being worked on.

I run Steam on my C: drive, and Prepar3d V2.4 on D: (two SSD Raid array) with no problems at all so I think perhaps you have nailed it.. Can you try installing steam on the default position (C drive)? Teecee.

teecee - I have had quite a lot of thoughts and search on the internet in this matter and have decided that FSX is best placed outside of the C disc. This is also something recommended by PMDG and others as well. Im not really sure what's the best, but I haven't had any trouble so far with that configuration. My trouble started when I installed a second copy of FSX and I guess the solution might be Rob Newman's suggestion.

I suspect what is happening is that you still have left over FSX install information from your previous FSX installation, lurking in the system registry (Uninstalling the old FSX does not remove that information, oddly).

So what's happening now, is the FTX installers are querying that location in your registry and trying to locate your old FSX location which no longer exists.

Luckily, there is an easy fix :) perform. Google search for "FSX REGISTRY FIX"... links for several should appear, I generally prefer the Flight1 version. Simply run it, input your new FSX location, and it will make the registry corrections for you. Then run FTX installers as before.

One word of caution... FSX Steam Edition is not technically supported just yet... there are a few minor compatibility fixes still required, which are currently being worked on.

Rob, thank you for this suggestion and tips on how to solve this. I will give it a try right away :-

Hi again,

I tried the tip from you, Rob, using the Flight1 tool, but it didn't work unfortunately. I know that FSX on Steam is a quite new thing, so I guess I have to wait and believe that FTX eventually will work on FSX SE as well.

I understand that Dovertail are quite limited in what they can do with FSX, but I really believe that they already have made adjustments of some kind making FSX go more smooth and stable that earlier. So I hope it will be a good development.

I am having this same issue. I uninstalled FSX and all add-ons from my F: and then installed FSX SE in a separate folder on my F drive. After rebooting and running CC Cleaner to clean up any registry issues I tried to install FTX Global and I get the same message as the original poster. Is there a fix for this?

I am having this same issue. I uninstalled FSX and all add-ons from my F: and then installed FSX SE in a separate folder on my F drive. After rebooting and running CC Cleaner to clean up any registry issues I tried to install FTX Global and I get the same message as the original poster. Is there a fix for this?

Simply cleaning the registry will not work... you have to run a specific tool to edit the faulty entry that the old FSX leaves behind (Registry cleaning tools will not remove this entry, as it is not seen as a problem).

The Flight 1 tool usually clears up these issues right away, and Orbx has released their own fix tool now... you can get it on the Support page of the FTX website...

Hi again,

I tried the tip from you, Rob, using the Flight1 tool, but it didn't work unfortunately. I know that FSX on Steam is a quite new thing, so I guess I have to wait and believe that FTX eventually will work on FSX SE as well.

I understand that Dovertail are quite limited in what they can do with FSX, but I really believe that they already have made adjustments of some kind making FSX go more smooth and stable that earlier. So I hope it will be a good development.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you... there is a new Orbx registry fix tool on the FTX website (under support)... it might be worth giving that one a try.

Of course we are also still hard at work getting the steam edition fully supported too :)

After running the Flight1 tool and Orbx registry fixer I found one that actually worked for me. This tool http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/FSX-Registry-Utility.shtml will reset the fsx setup path key and you can point it to your FSX SE. I think what happened when I uninstalled Boxed FSX is it actually deleted the whole key under local machine. This tool will re-insert that key. I am now getting an error stating unable to locate the scenery config file. I think there is a fix for this as well.

Ok and here is the fix to the scenery config issue.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89673-temporary-workaround-for-installing-orbx-scenery-with-fsxse/

After running the Flight1 tool and Orbx registry fixer I found one that actually worked for me. This tool http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/FSX-Registry-Utility.shtml will reset the fsx setup path key and you can point it to your FSX SE. I think what happened when I uninstalled Boxed FSX is it actually deleted the whole key under local machine. This tool will re-insert that key. I am now getting an error stating unable to locate the scenery config file. I think there is a fix for this as well.

Ok and here is the fix to the scenery config issue.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89673-temporary-workaround-for-installing-orbx-scenery-with-fsxse/

Good to hear you managed to get things up and running! Enjoy FTX... We expect screenshots in the forums ;)

Archived