AU Content to US Server?

I (and others) have posted (May 2014 and since) on unresolved download problems involving the AU server and Orb-x freeware files. I realise that the matter has been officially looked into and dismissed, and that the suggested remedy is to install and use a download manager. Well, to cut a long story short, it seems evident to me that the problem is real and persistent - for some customers, at least. Recently, having pushed the problem well to the back of my mind, I suggested to a Flight Sim newcomer that he download the FTX Tasmania demo package. He called to tell me that his efforts to download it had failed repeatedly. He has had no other download problems. 

I have re-done all my checks. Three more computers, two different BB modems, three different OS's, and four different browsers. Every attempt failed. Yet every large file I downloaded from other sites and servers completed error free. That includes the much bigger PNW Demo, which downloaded immediately today from the FTX US server. Prior to early 2014, the AU server also delivered its files swiftly and with perfect reliability.

The remedy offered to others is to install and use a download manager. I tried two last year (FDM and DTA) but I still couldn't finish a download from the FTX AU server. In any case, I don't want the added complexity and fuss of browser add-ons, and do not trust them to be completely free of risk. 

I know some users report no problems. But it is obvious that many do; there are current posts on similar lines. How many potential customers just say nothing and go? The only potential fix I can think of is to make any file currently only available on the AU server also accessible on the US server, and / or the FS Store, or wherever. Here I might point out that I have bought many Orb-x payware titles and never had a problem. I have a stable ADSL2 broadband connection, and my respected and helpful ISP techs have checked this through carefully to no avail. I am a quite experienced computer user and builder, and can find no problems common to my own PC's and others I've tried. All routinely download large files of up to several gigabytes without problems. None of the PC's used has a download manager installed.

Would Orb-x's team please consider either this suggestion, or devise some other way to access these files?

Thanks.

Ian / Macismatic.

(Latest purchases: FSS#0260802, FSS#0343331. Many others over the years since the original FTX-AU pack.)

Ummm tis problem has been gone over with a fine tooth comb.  It's almost certain that the download problems are being caused by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and are nothing to do with the source server.  (Jay Kae might add some technical explanation to this).

I don't know where the FSS servers are located but it;s quite possible they are located in one of the US data centres, given the volume of GB that has to be provided.

Anyway, as Jay Kae has said many many times, tests of downloads from multiple areas around the world all show good to exceelent download speeds.  Perhaps you should be talking to your local ISP to see if there are limitations and corrupt files sitting on their servers, which is much more likely.

I for one would not like to see the current system changed..I have been downloading  from Orbx  and FFS since their inception, and never had a failure whether I downloaded to Aus or to here in the USA.. I use a download manager (IDM or in the past others) every time.

I pity those that have problems, but to be honest I have to believe the problems are with their providers or systems, and most certainly not with Orbx and FSS, and believe that any changes would be to the detriment of the wonderful services we receive. Teecee.

Thanks, both John and Teecee, for reading and considering this problem. I am aware of the efforts made to identify any possible technical problem, and appreciate them. But I have just downloaded a 5GB test file in 46 minutes from my ISP, one of Australia's most responsive and respected. They carried out tests for me last year and could find nothing wrong with either their service or my modem-router configuration, etc. Their service provision is exemplary,and their tech staff are astute and efficient. They are locals who work from their Adelaide HQ, not pretenders from an Asian call centre.

Let us assume that if indeed this problem exists at all, it exists for only a minority of users / customers. As a workaround, all I ask is that any file content currently available ONLY via the AU server be additionally available on the US servers or elsewhere. I note that the PNW demo package is available on the AU server as well as on the US server. Is there any reason that all unique AU server content can't also be available on another server? I can't see how this could harm anything, Teecee - but I can understand that, as you're on a winner, you want nothing to change!

Download speeds are not in question. In fact, before they fail, attempted downloads of the FTX-AU Tasmania demo rocket along at about the same relatively high speed as my 1GB and 5GB test downloads. But the wanted downloads themselves always fail. It might be at 26MB, or 98MB, or (my recent record) at about the 140MB point in a 243MB file. And really, a 243MB file is these days not big at all - even in the ancient dial-up days I often downloaded files of that size or larger.

I'm not suggesting that the files themselves are corrupted. In every instance, it appears that the server 'thinks' some FTP transgression or whatever has occurred, and simply disconnects. My internet connection remains undisturbed. Maybe someone with serious technical knowledge can suggest possible causes for a server cancelling the delivery on a stable and adequately fast ADSL2 connection. I have tried downloading without firewalls, AV protection and so on, with no luck. Is there anything else on a typical Windows system which could derail downloads? We have XP-SP3, Vista, 7 and 8,1 on different computers. All exhibit the same behaviour, are free of malware, and otherwise perform as expected with our ADSL2 connection.

By the way, my young friend has a late-model laptop, and uses a completely different major ISP. His downloads fail as mine do. His father is a senior telecommunications technician and can't find any problem with his son's system.

Anyway, I can do no more. If nothing changes, I guess my young friend and I just have to do without. I've had enough. I'm hoping to build a completely new FS PC this year, and maybe that will bring luck. But we have two healthy i5 systems here - one with W7/64, the other W8,1 /64, and there's no joy with them - so I expect nothing better from a flashy i7-W7/64 system either. I've tried three different makes of modem / router.

Thanks to you both for contributing your thoughts. I do understand that honest efforts have been made to identify any possible problem, and that as nothing has been found, the matter must rest at that. I think I'll go and have a cup of coffee.

Cheers.

Ian / Macismatic

Those points are typical for a failure on ISP end, either some sort of weird time out or otherwise but there is nothing I can do for something like that. All I know is pinging your IP leaves 30%(!!!!!!) of all packages as a fail, from 11 different locations. That is about 3000% above of what it should be, iiNet is known for it's dropping of connections unfortunately.

Do me a favour, install www.internetdownloadmanager.com (free trial) you will never want to go back .. trust me 

Thanks for popping in, Jay Kae. Well, OK, I will try that when I build my big new i7 system. Now that you mention that particular ISP company, I'm wondering whether its corporate takeover of the original ISP (under which name our service is still provided) coincides - or nearly -with the onset of my troubles. I shall enquire. However, that would not explain my young would-be FS lad failing in his efforts. His ISP is Australia's biggest telco, I think I could say. Remember, though, that it is not our connection which drops out, but the file transfer. Does this suggest that others, similarly afflicted, also have ISPs whose technical performance might not be up to standard?

Anyway, enough is enough. I'm sorry to take up people's time. I'll leave it for now, and accept that this has been answered. Thanks to all who contributed, and wishing you all safe and smooth flying.

Ian / Macismatic

Well.. A problem worked through and no harsh words..Makes a nice change..but it's probably due to Jay handling it. In all the years I have been dealing with Jay I have only once seen him upset. Congratulations old lad, well done,..again.. Teecee.

Hello Ian

I am also with iinet although in Perth, not in Adelaide. I just downloaded the Tassie Demo file from the Australian server using IDM in approximately 7 minutes using my poor internet connection (I am a long way from the telephone exchange). There were no interruptions or drop outs, it came down in one go.

Could not fault the set up.

Cheers

Bernie.

Thanks, Bernief (for your useful info), Teecee again, and Jay Kae too, of course. Now, Jay Kae, I regret taking more of your time, but I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that my connection to the ISP is dropping out altogether, or dropping only the download of for the file in question? We typically remain connected 15hrs every day here. Internode (as you say, iiNet now really) checked this out last year and at that time found nothing that I or they could correct. If you have access to my IP logs, can I get back to the ISP techs once more for a new analysis of the problem by them, using those same logs? I've checked and tried everything here, but I now have another $300 worth of Orb-x scenery packs awaiting download, and given what you say, even my FSS downloads will now fail too. Crumbs. 

Anyway, I  don't expect you helpful folk to waste any more time on my problem. The only thing I can't change (and in fact, have not changed, except for the ISP itself) is my landline to the local exchange, and the DSLAM equipment there. If necessary I'll wait for my new i7 system, get yet another modem, and change to a completely different ISP. If that doesn't work, I'll take up gardening.

Thanks again to you all.

I will contact iiNet for you tomorrow and go through it with them, the legalities of giving them these logs/privacy issues are ridiculous, I have gone through it before with users with Optus and Telstra and it is a nightmare and all I need is one good tech to talk to.

Tell me though, I only ever see a single connection from your IP, are you or are you not using a download manager. If not download www.internetdownloadmanager.com (free trial) and give it a go. 

If you cannot afford it, let me know and we will work something out.

Jay Kae - Sorry, I've been occupied by other matters. It's very kind of you to take that investigative trouble on my behalf, and if I can do that rather than waste your time, please let me. However, if you want to continue and need my permission to access logs, etc., this is it!  

No, I no longer use any download managers. I did not enjoy my experience with them last year - but no, I have not tried IDM in any form. Prior to (say) April or May last year, I had no need to use a DM; I could download GB+ filers from anywhere, including Orb-x and Oz-x, with hardly any failures at all.

I thank you for the hint that that there might be a cheaper way to use IDM, but I reckon that if I can build a new i7 PC, I can also afford a DM.

It's more that I don't like or trust such software; after all, it is closely integrated with our BB connection and browser without my knowing exactly what it IS doing, or what it COULD do. Suspicious old coot, aren't I? Apart from that, I simply don't like the notion that it is making up for what amounts to an erratic connection and data flow. Masking errors and inefficiency, that is.

Right. Only pursue this if it is useful or interesting to you and / or Orb-x. I'll try again. Then again. Might be lucky!

Cheers, and thanks again,

Ian / Macismatic, near YMUR / YBCG.

Jay Kae - Do you mean IDM is genuinely transparent and trustworthy? And that its operation does NOT mask a discontinuous download? I will take your word for it that it works for otherwise unreliable connections when downloading, but I really would still like a persistent connection for all BB purposes anyway, not just for my FS activities. I will try IDM (although not immediately) - but if the unassisted connection has not by then improved, I'll look for a new ISP. And man, will I look thoroughly!

But, Jay Kae, don't worry any further about it. I've taken up too much of your time already. Thanks again to you, John Dow, Teecee, and Bernief for giving this matter so much thought. And to anyone I've forgotten. Hi, also, to any interested readers. 

Cheers,

Ian / Macismatic

[FTX-AU, NZSI, NZNI, PNW, NRM, CRM, PFJ, ENG, WLS, SCO, EU-NI, YBBN, YMML, YSTW, YSCB, YHBA, YBAS, KJAC, KSFF, 1S2, KWYS, CYBO, CZST, NZMF, YBRM, 3W5, 74S, EGSG, etc.  

FSS#26568, 59133, 64618, 78614, 93118, 105642, 114932, 146200, 164902, 212116, 234923, 260802, 343331]

Hi John. Yes, I used to use FDM routinely for part of my ancient dial-up time. I liked it.  Last year, after (I think) about six years of largely trouble-free BB, I tried FDM again when I struck digital sandbanks. Things had changed, and I didn't like it. I also tried DTA for Chrome and one or two other DM's, but none of them pleased me. I have not yet tried IDM, as Jay Kae suggests, but I will. But for now, I think I'll put it all aside until I build a completely new, i7-based system. I don't really have sufficient space to store all the Orb-x downloads I have purchased, and still be able defrag, etc. I think it's really time to build up from scratch again. Or it will be when I have the time.

Cheers,

Ian / Macismatic

[FTX-AU, NZSI, NZNI, PNW, NRM, CRM, PFJ, ENG, WLS, SCO, EU-NI, YBBN, YMML, YSTW, YSCB, YHBA, YBAS, KJAC, KSFF, 1S2, 2W3, S49, KWYS, KBVS, CYBO, CZST, NZMF, YBRM, 3W5, 74S, EGSG, EGKA,EGHR, OS9, , etc.  

FSS#26568, 59133, 64618, 78614, 93118, 105642, 114932, 146200, 164902, 212116, 234923, 260802, 343331]

Sounds like a plan... any rebuild will surely be based around a 256SSD or 512GB SSD for FSX... mine is!  I have a 256GB for Windows 7, and a 500GB for FSX which is only 50% used with every ORBX product installed (as well as planes, OZx, etc).

Yes, John - that's more or less what I hope to do, although I think the conventional HDD will probably be at least 1TB; I have a 500GB now, mostly for FS stuff alone, and it's practically chockers. (In some parts of the world, that means 'Hopelessly full.') Unfortunately, all that must wait quite a while.

By the way, I like the pic of you at the (left-hand drive) family vehicle.

Cheers, John.

Ian / Macismatic

[FTX-AU, NZSI, NZNI, PNW, NRM, CRM, PFJ, ENG, WLS, SCO, EU-NI, YBBN, YMML, YSTW, YSCB, YHBA, YBAS, KJAC, KSFF, 1S2, 2W3, S49, KWYS, KBVS, CYBO, CZST, NZMF, YBRM, 3W5, 74S, EGSG, EGKA,EGHR, OS9, , etc.  

John, is that the one not far from Bankstown, installed in a trucking depot or something?  I think I remember seeing a report on that. Does Matt Halls donate what would otherwise be profit to the RFDS? Can we clone him?

Ian / Macismatic

[FTX-AU, NZSI, NZNI, PNW, NRM, CRM, PFJ, ENG, WLS, SCO, EU-NI, YBBN, YMML, YSTW, YSCB, YHBA, YBAS, YBUD, YBCS, YPMQ,KJAC, KSFF, 1S2, 2W3, S49, KWYS, KBVS, CYBO, CZST, NZMF, YBRM, 3W5, 74S, EGSG, EGKA,,EGHR, OS9, , etc.  

Yep that's the one, all donations go to RFDS 100% as far as I know.

Trying to think who I contacted... Google might be your friend, otherwise the Vatsim Australia team should be able to give you contact details.

Cheers

Archived