Incorrect airport placement in Iceland Demo BIBV

davevh

I downloaded the Iceland demo a few days ago, and today decided to take off from a random airport which happened to be Breiddalsvik airport BIBV.

As can be seen in the picture below, the airport is incorrectly placed compared with google earth (circled). Oddly, google earth puts a marker for the airport in the same place as the sim, when you can clearly see the runway is above the road (unless the real airport has moved since the satellite pics were taken).

The small body of water just next to the runway in the sim is also raised like a little table shaped hill, and the road goes right over the runway.

Something is not right here.

Other airports I have taken off from in Iceland so far seem to be OK.

Just thought I would bring this to FTX's attention.

BIBV.jpg

I have Global and Vector and openLC europe to and here no problems either, I guess Vector corrected the shoreline pretty good. Many default airports are misplaced in FSX due to wrong shorelines and cutting to many edges in shorelines in the old days, for performance reasances is my guess why they did it; Vector doesn't correct any airport placement but you can do that yourself if you want it with the freeware ADE tool but replacing an entire airport isn't easy, in this case it's only a runway so pretty much strait forward and a good place to start to learn ADE

Herman

Hi,

With Global, Vector, Ultimate Mesh and LC Europe it looks really exactly like in Google Earth. Do you have any other scenery (Iceland X etc.) installed?

Rgds

Reinhard

Hi, only other add-on scenery I have is Aeroworx Africa, ORBX-England, ORBX-NZ South Island, ORBX-NZMF airport. No other scenery other than ORBX for that part of the world.

I tried hybrid mode on and off, airport was still in wrong location. I also tried disabling Aeroworx through the scenery library (aeroworx is all manual config, no control panels to conflict).

I wonder if this is a problem with the demo only, since Wolter and Herman have the full suite of add-ons for the region?

Looking back above, it seems that in my case the default FSX airport is being loaded instead of the ORBX one (FBO/parking is in a different location).

Did you try to move it up in the scenery librarie and did you install the latest libraries as last?

Herman

Hi Herman

Yes, tried moving them to highest priority/ID in the library, tried different insertion points too.

The libraries installed with the demo are the latest, 28 December 2014.

If this was a problem with hierachy in the library, wouldn't all the airports have problems?

Hi,

There is also an update for that demo. Did you install yet ?

Hi Richard

I was not aware of the update, thanks for the suggestion. Grabbing it now and will report back.

Hi,

Did you install FSX in the default directory (which you shouldn't do) or did you define an own FSX directory? Installing in the default directory isn't recommended, as many addons have problems installing correctly due to the Microsoft rights doing strange things.

Rgds

Reinhard

Hi,

Did you install FSX in the default directory (which you shouldn't do) or did you define an own FSX directory? Installing in the default directory isn't recommended, as many addons have problems installing correctly due to the Microsoft rights doing strange things.

Rgds

Reinhard

This is the steam edition, installed custom to D:\steam\steamapps\common\fsx

Problem is now fixed, thanks to Richard.

Just installed the Iceland patch and airport is correct. Somehow I overlooked this patch which was right at the bottom of the support page where I did not expect to look (I installed patches for all the other regions I have). I incorrectly assumed that since the demo came with the latest December libraries, that it was the latest version.

Richard should get kudos for thinking back to the basics!

Hi Folks,

I definitely remember moving the runway to the correct location when I did the airports for the demo.  It was in the correct location from initial release.

Cheers, Neil

Respectfully, this was not at all helpful in coming to a resolution. And this has been proven incorrect, apparently the patch as suggested by Richard above has something to do with the airport placement since it is now working.

Anyway, this thread can be closed and thanks to Richard once again (and the other people that tried to help).

Archived