How do I remove green in deserts

B77X

I am using Scenery Tech Landclass, and there is too much green in the middle east. Not only the green around airports instead of desert brown, but patches of green all over the gulf. Looking at Google Earth there is little green but in Bahrain and all over that area are patches of green. Is there nothing that can be done until an OpenLC product is available for the area?

FTX Global in the Middle East, using scenerytech landclass

Examples. 1st screenshot is the coast after taking of Qatar.

exDQ2IR.jpg

2nd screenshot is overflying Iraq

ccbV5xS.jpg

Looking at Google Earth, even the cities have just a small amount of green, the houses, buildings, sides of the roads, are mostly blending in with the sand

Can this be fixed with FTX Global and Vector using landclass like ScenerTech?

I don't have the Scenery Tech Asia product but using their Indo-Pacific LC taught me that it is rather an improvement over default  in some places and worse in others. No consistency. For some reasons, they never upgraded their products after release of v1.0. You may find landclasses for some countries (Israel for instance).  I'm afraid that, except waiting for OpenLC, there's not much else to be done. Neither Global nor Vector can be of any help.

Now, have you checked that the product is declared in the library and at the right place ?

I don't have the Scenery Tech Asia product but using their Indo-Pacific LC taught me that it is rather an improvement over default  in some places and worse in others. No consistency. For some reasons, they never upgraded their products after release of v1.0. You may find landclasses for some countries (Israel for instance).  I'm afraid that, except waiting for OpenLC, there's not much else to be done. Neither Global nor Vector can be of any help.

Now, have you checked that the product is declared in the library and at the right place ?

Do you have OpenLC Europe? I wonder if that is causing this. I will disable SceneryTech and see if the middle east looks better. But I do not remember it looking this green until OpenLC Europe.

Qatar has indeed far too many oasises  in my P3D2.4  :) but I don't see the patches where they are in your screenshots. For Iraq, the default scenery shows too many large irrigated areas but Iraq has been irrigated for 6000 years between the two rivers and is very green in many places, specially in the South so it is less a problem (we are talking generic sceney here) 

I do have OpenLC but I do not see how OpenLC could interact in the ME.  Verify that :

- you checked Global (with hybrid off)  in FTX Central and that another set of textures is not in place

- Scenery Tech is not misplaced in the hierarchy of priorities

- you've not another non OrbX scenery (airport) in conflict.

If not, Scenery Tech and default  set the wrong landclasses (wouldn't be a big surprise) or Global Base has the wrong textures for a the landclass which is called.

Qatar has indeed far too many oasises  in my P3D2.4  :) but I don't see the patches where they are in your screenshots. For Iraq, the default scenery shows too many large irrigated areas but Iraq has been irrigated for 6000 years between the two rivers and is very green in many places, specially in the South so it is less a problem (we are talking generic sceney here) 

I do have OpenLC but I do not see how OpenLC could interact in the ME.  Verify that :

- you checked Global (with hybrid off)  in FTX Central and that another set of textures is not in place

- Scenery Tech is not misplaced in the hierarchy of priorities

- you've not another non OrbX scenery (airport) in conflict.

If not, Scenery Tech and default  set the wrong landclasses (wouldn't be a big surprise) or Global Base has the wrong textures for a the landclass which is called.

All checked and nothing configured incorrectly. I am going to disable SceneryTech and try again

Baghdad does not look like this, too much green

SceneryTech landclass activated

Kd7kaib.jpg

SceneryTech disabled

9I700yp.jpg

So SceneryTech all disabled gives a more realistic representation, still green, (Will you ever be able to fix the green surrounding all airports when default fsx gives correct desert in desert areas?) but better.

I had SceneryTech Europe disabled in both screenshots. But is OpenLC Europe conflicting with SceneryTech in other areas? I have FTX set to Global, hybrid mode disabled.

Any help appreciated thank you

so basically you are asking us to give advice on the use of another vendors addon ?

Global was advertised to work with other landclass products. OpenLC Europe was advertised as just covering Europe. Now the rest of the world does not look right with OpenLC Europe, and landclass products with FTX Global. So does Global and OpenLC only work with default landclass in the rest of the world? That is why I posted this. To see if this is by design or a bug.

basically the lclookup.bgl is what defines the textures called for the landclass, we use ours, not having the other vendors product I can't comment, I assume if they get mixed up one could run in to all kind of funny effects, did a lil checkride with OLC_EU activated en then de-activated, only difference I could see was the some blocks of houses looked a bit different, but for the rest the desert was still there and didn't look like your screens, so the issue is with the other vendors LC product as far as I can detect it

see the screens I made there

FTX_Global + OLC_EU active
ORBI_OLC_EU_active_001.jpg

FTX_Global
ORBI_OLC_EU_deactivated_001.jpg

sorry, as stated there must be something else on your system causing the by you mentioned "issue"

basically the lclookup.bgl is what defines the textures called for the landclass, we use ours, not having the other vendors product I can't comment, I assume if they get mixed up one could run in to all kind of funny effects, did a lil checkride with OLC_EU activated en then de-activated, only difference I could see was the some blocks of houses looked a bit different, but for the rest the desert was still there and didn't look like your screens, so the issue is with the other vendors LC product as far as I can detect it

FT_Global

sorry, as stated there must be something else on your system causing the by you mentioned "issue"

Actually Scenery Tech  LCs can change the lclookup if you are not careful, here are the instructions of my copy of Indopacifi (redlined by me)  :

After specifying the installation folder, you will be asked if you want to install the “Enhanced Slope Landclass.† This is a modified lclookup.bgl file which changes the way landclass tiles are displayed on hills, mountains, and cliffs.  The ESL helps further reduce the pervasive use of dry textures in the default scenery.  It will also yield smoother landclass transitions in general, for example with dense forests appearing at the base of a mountain and becoming sparser and turning into barren rock as the slope increases in steepness.  The effects of the ESL will be visible worldwide, and won’t be isolated to just this scenery package.  Therefore, if you have other scenery packages installed that are fine-tuned in accordance with the default lclookup.bgl, you may wish to forgo installation of this enhancement.

You will also be given a choice to install “Tweaked Ice Rock Textures.† This simply swaps some of the current FSX winter rock textures with a seasonal variant that offers better detail in the winter season.  If you have a 3rd party texture replacement package installed, this option is not recommended.

FTX_Global

What landclass product are you using?

Actually Scenery Tech  LCs can change the lclookup if you are not careful, here are the instructions of my copy of Indopacifi (redlined by me)  :

After specifying the installation folder, you will be asked if you want to install the “Enhanced Slope Landclass.† This is a modified lclookup.bgl file which changes the way landclass tiles are displayed on hills, mountains, and cliffs.  The ESL helps further reduce the pervasive use of dry textures in the default scenery.  It will also yield smoother landclass transitions in general, for example with dense forests appearing at the base of a mountain and becoming sparser and turning into barren rock as the slope increases in steepness.  The effects of the ESL will be visible worldwide, and won’t be isolated to just this scenery package.  Therefore, if you have other scenery packages installed that are fine-tuned in accordance with the default lclookup.bgl, you may wish to forgo installation of this enhancement.

You will also be given a choice to install “Tweaked Ice Rock Textures.† This simply swaps some of the current FSX winter rock textures with a seasonal variant that offers better detail in the winter season.  If you have a 3rd party texture replacement package installed, this option is not recommended.

FTX Central inserts its own lclookup bgl, it worked fine before, but now with OpenLC Europe, it does not work right with SceneryTech outside Europe. This is disappointing.

Do I understand you right ? You are disappointed with OpenLC because your Mid-East deserts are too green when you switched ON a Scenery Tech feature that "further reduce the pervasive use of dry textures in the default scenery" (in layman's terms adds green textures) A feature that Scenery Tech recommends to use with caution or not to use at all. OpenLC should comply with a seven yo product (Jan 2008) which has never been updated and is notoriously wrong in a lot of places (but also much better than default I want to add)  ?

Do I understand you right ? You are disappointed with OpenLC because your Mid-East deserts are too green when you switched ON a Scenery Tech feature that "further reduce the pervasive use of dry textures in the default scenery" (in layman's terms adds green textures) A feature that Scenery Tech recommends to use with caution or not to use at all. OpenLC should comply with a seven yo product (Jan 2008) which has never been updated and is notoriously wrong in a lot of places (but also much better than default I want to add)  ?

Before OpenLC, FTX Global worked great with Scenery Tech landclass. Now the world looks bad with Scenery Tech. If you know of a better landclass product I will buy it. But this is obviously a bug, with Global displaying too much green. That is why I posted the topic

No, I unfortunately don't know of any better landclass. Curiously, there was never much interest for Asia in the flightsim developpers community.  So I can't wait for OpenLC Asia, including the cover of the Mideast :) . In the meantime, I will  buy ST Asia after having bought Indo-Pacific. I know that it will be far from perfection but still better than default.

• 4 weeks later...

No, I unfortunately don't know of any better landclass. Curiously, there was never much interest for Asia in the flightsim developpers community.  So I can't wait for OpenLC Asia, including the cover of the Mideast :) . In the meantime, I will  buy ST Asia after having bought Indo-Pacific. I know that it will be far from perfection but still better than default.

But why am I seeing something different? I will have to reinstall fsx and maybe something is off with my install

What may also have been forgotten is that just as there are now green backgrounds where there

probably should be brown ones, the main complaint by far when FSX came out was that the

textures, particularly in winter were far too brown.

Overall there is a vast improvement and there are far fewer complaints about green where brown

would look better than there used to be when brown was the most common airport background,

regardless of how green the surrounding terrain was.

Such as Reykjavik as it never is

FSX-default-Reykjavik-area-580x326.jpg

Archived