Norway ENSG

BG2518

Hi there,

can you post a screenshot of this please? See http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Also, is this with the new FTX Norway region? You've posted in the openLC subforum so I'm not sure which Orbx add-ons you're using.

Cheers, Holger

No addons in P3D to conflict.

Spikes are in fact elevated areas of small lakes in the top of the adjacent hill to this airport.

See additional screenshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz7k9tcw5pgejce/ScreenHunter_01%20Dec.%2018%2008.15.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjbn94641ookfvg/ScreenHunter_02%20Dec.%2018%2008.16.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1bbrk3j82tzken/ScreenHunter_03%20Dec.%2018%2008.16.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3psdusl190xp407/ScreenHunter_04%20Dec.%2018%2008.17.jpg?dl=0

This all looks quite specific and not a clash with anything else or corruption because it is SO localised.

Hi Bob,

if you compare Wolter's screenshot with yours you'll notice a couple of differences: the terrain mesh elevations seem much lower in your setup (which explains the "lakes on stilts") and the landclass is different too, for example the rock texture behind the terminal in your first screenshot is wrong. Moreover, when I've checked NOR around ENSG I could determine that some of the lakes visible in your screenshots don't exist in NOR so this has to be some local or regional third-party add-on active at higher display priority. Are you using the freeware Norway packages? If so you may want to check at http://flightsim.no/for current information regarding its use with FTX NOR.

Cheers, Holger

I  have to agree with this. Looks like there is another mesh in play here?

As I am happy with the FTXN mesh and coastlines, I use only this now: P3D2.4, FTX Global, FTX Norway, AoN. For the time being I do use the freeware NSX III Woods, until ORBX updates their woods for FTXN. My ENSG has no issues, and looks much like Wolter's picture, except from I use my own afcad and scenery.

From long experience I also remember that if the autogen slider is too high, or with certain graphics cards drivers, this can give those spikes.

Mesh IS the culprit and interstingly enough............

I do use "FS Global Ultimate - Europe" but was assured by Pilots that this would NOT be an issue with Orbx Sceneries. I guess something has changed and that the development of FTX Norway has gone beyond the mesh supplied by pilots and their FS Global Ultimate ???

Considering the joint collaboration of Orbx and Pilots I would NOT expect an issue ???

Now I'll have to "remember" that FTX Norway and Pilots meshes are NOT compatible.

Thanks for your very good observations and help in getting to some sence with this.

I wonder what Pilots will have to say on this and how I can get a fix that is sensible.

Cheers,

Hi there,

interesting. I'll try to get a copy of Ultimate because it seems to be specific to that package meaning there are no issues with the FTX version. The solution is likely to deactivate a few of their files that overlap with the NOR mesh and are thus not needed anyway. For the ENSG area try searching the Global Ultimate folders for files with the keyword "*049010" and let us now the full name and folder locations as well as file date and size (you can take a screenshot of the search result and post it).

Cheers, Holger

I take Wolter's point completely and do set my res to appropriate levels, thanks.

Holger - NO results with the keyword "*049010".  Sorry, I'm too dumb to understand the meaning/relevance of this.

BUT, I thought I saw where you are going with this and I looked to put a temp hold on the bgl that may be causing the problem from the Pilots Ultimate EUR mesh.

I found the file (renamed) - 0_removed_N61E007.bgl

It made NO difference.

HMMMM....

Then I took a closer look at my scenery.cfg and through a process of illimination I found that my FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX folder 100% contains the issue for me.

Which file(s), I don't know and seeing as you guys see NO problem, I'm going to re-install just in case somefile(s) have been corrupted.

Will report back asap.

Many thanks ALL.

The reinstall makes no difference.

There is something up inside of FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX folder.

When de-activated the issue goes away.

I think for whatever reason I had this de-activated at the same time I de-activated the Pilots Ultimate mesh which caused the false result - SORRY.

Hi there,

well, the FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX folder contains the main NOR landscape components, like waterbodies, road network, etc., meaning you're "fixing" the issue by getting rid of most of NOR. 

There may be more than one Global Ultimate file at play here. Also, I'm not sure I follow your method of deactivating; renaming it to "0_removed_N61E007.bgl" wouldn't make a difference as the extension ".bgl" determines whether the sim can find the file or not. You'd have to rename the extension to .OFF or similar or move the file out of the active folder. Last but not least without knowing what geographic corner of the coverage area the file name refers to it's difficult to know whether that particular file in fact covers the ENSG area. 

Can you confirm though that the issue goes away when temporarily deactivating the entry in the scenery library menu that contains the file N61E007? 

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

I should be clearer, sorry.  Been rushing about so here you go.....

N61E007.bgl from Pilots Ultimate Europe IS the (presumably mesh) area that covers the airport ENSG.

It is NOT creating the spikes i.e. elevated small water bodies.  THIS WAS MY FALSE IMPRESSION THAT YOU CAN COMPLETELY IGNORE. FORGET I EVER MENTIONED THIS FILE AS IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM.

BTW, I take your point about renaming the bgl extension to OLD and will do this in future.  What I had done was also to move the file after my renaming completely out of the folder and thus it wasn't referenced.  All this was part of my testing to confirm where the problem lay.

You are quite right, when I switch off the FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX folder from the scenery.cfg the raised elevated small water bodies that look like spikes go away.  And, yes if I do this I'm loosing ALL of NORWAY.  I did this just to find out WHERE the problem was and now can do no more within that folder to determine where the problem finally lies.

I'm using P3D v2.4 and NOT FSX so there may be a difference there? especially as Wolter (FSX presumably) says he sees no spikes?

I hope this makes the issue I'm having clear and that you or others can help in due course.

Have a GREAT Xmas and I wish that also to ALL who read this.

Update - found the problem and have fixed it.

Pilots have an AFM dir in P3D "Aerodrome Flattening Meshes" and guess what I found in that ??  Yep, a flattening mesh that was messing up the local airport area but leaving the lakes at their intended elevations (thus the spikes).

How this happened I really can't say but I am so sorry to have raised a false report but thank all for their help.

As before - have a fantastic festive break.

Hi Bob,

thanks for letting us know the cause of the issue. It's actually a very good tip because I didn't think of those local mesh files that are generated for specific airports by the AFM tool. It's possible that Global Ultimate ships with some of these but they can be user-generated as well meaning it's definitely something to keep in mind for airports within the coverage area of our FTX regions.

Cheers, Holger

Archived