Screenshots slow-down for a few days ...

If you're wondering why the screenshots have slowed down somewhat over the past few days, it's mainly because the entire testing team is now focusing on the final 3 days' testing and bug squashing. There's an enormous amount of work for us to cram into the next 72 hours, and once we get the final roads, autogen building textures, further tweaking of the ground textures completed, I am sure there will be another screenshot bonanza.

We will also be releasing the official FTX video trailer on Tuesday. I can assure you it will give you goosebumps! :)

Finally, we will announce a video competition, and you'll be given use of the official FTX Trailer Theme Music to use in your own video. The winner receives a free copy of FTX AU GOLD region, so worth having a go! More details soon!

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that it's exactly this kind of personal communication with the forum goers and obvious enthusiasm for the sim community that makes the product seem even more like a bargain that it would otherwise.

Had it just been released I'm sure we would all have been blown away regardless but the friendly and communicative nature of the guys at Orbx makes this purchase a complete no-brainer.

Good luck with the final crunch, can't wait to see that video!

Oli

Thanks, I needed a break from all of those amazing screen images anyway.  Was not sure how much more I was going to be able to take before the big release date.  May have to be sick from work on Wed!

OK an update - we can't give you the music from the trailer, as our license agreement prohibits that. The good news is that you'll be able to use your fave music soundtrack then :)

Video making tips - here's what I do:

1. Use FRAPS - make sure you have the LATEST versions always. http://www.fraps.com

2. Set your desktop resolution to 1280x720. Also set your FSX resolution to the same - this is important. You are now in 720p HD format.

3. In the sim, set simulation rate to 1/4 speed (you need to do this because FRAPS eats about 60%+ of the performance of the sim)

4. Save all your FRAPS video grabs as AVI, 25FPS, no sound (recording sound takes a big hit) - important: 1 minute of recording = 1GB of disk space, so take small grabs, or you'll fill up your HD quickly  ;D

5. I use Ulead VideoStudio 11 for my editing - simple, quick, bug free (free 30-day trial download from http://www.ulead.com)

6. In VS11, I import my FRAPS .AVI's, and I change the speed of each clip to 270%. This will bring the speed of the clips back to as close to normal a frame rate as what I get without FRAPS running. This speed change will vary depending on your PC's performance. That value is perfect for my dev laptop.

7. Import you favourite MP3 music track, edit, and save as "HDV for PC, 1280x720, 25FPS, 44khz Stereo Audio" or similar. That will create a nice smooth MPEG video for you. However, this file would be too large to share on the internet, although nice to show to your mates ;)

8. Last step - make it net-friendly - you will need to recompress it down to a WMV codec which will make it about 10-20% of the MPEG size without losing too much quality. I use Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder 9 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en) - it does a superb job.

Whew! Sounds complex, but it's not really. Remember, FRAPS is you best friend, but you need to use the 1/4 sim rate trick to represent the true potential of your PC. I found with the 270% speed increase in VS11, it came back to almost exactly the speed I get in the sim without FRAPS running. You may find you need to play with the speed increase, depending on the performance of your PC. Better PC, less FRAPS hit.

Hope this inspires some budding videographers out there!

Thanks mate, excellent tutorial, pity I don't have one musical bone in my body, but I WILL have a go...

Cheers,

As a commercial organisation Orbx must only use licensed music, or music made by ourselves (a lot of the music in our vids is made by yours truly and a friend of mine). However, a "fan" or supporter can use music as they see fit, as long as it's not used for commercial purposes. Witness the hundreds of thousands of FS videos made using MP3s from commercial music. It's a grey area I know, but the key is that any videos you make, can't be used by Orbx for promo purposes, but that does not stop you sharing them around the net.

A loooooong time ago i made some vids too. Some MP footage from our trips around the world. That was pure FSX RTM and captured with Fraps at original speed. Quiet amazing how my PC did from the beginning...

Nothing professional but maybe you want to have a look.

FS-Xcite:

http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/viewfile/1553.html

Some others including my manual 777 Thai Airways Simulator landing:

http://www.flightsimworld.com/downloads/search/BPlRjPoV/1

Heiko

nice formation flying mango and also a preety neat touchdown in that simulator, that must of been a real buzz to get a go in one of those, it look pretty realistic (motion wise) cheers. 3 more sleepless nights ;);D

Oh yes, indeed. That's an awesome experience. I was watching a pilot rating with a 20 kts crosswind takeoff and engine failure. Incredible what is going on in there (i bet we had zero G for a moment when the pilot pushed the nose down hard...). Of course everything was set up for me including auto throttle, but still... phew  ;D. I tried to trim the aircraft, but probably i trimmed the wrong way hehe, no time to figure that one out - there was quiet a force on the yoke. I have to do that again one day.

Heiko

Jeez, my addiction must have been worse that I was aware of  :D

I really miss that daily feed of new screenies...  Anyhow, only 3 more sleeps folks...

SuperJ's got the servers tweaked, Koorby has stocked up with coffee, panadol and valium and my machine has been disk cleaned, defragged, lubed and oil changed, tyre pressures checked and ashtrays cleaned out...

Now what do I do  ???  ???  ???

Cheers all,

Can't answer your question and I don't know about you but I won't be going to bed tomorrow night.. Buying a carton of Asahi (I'm in Japan!)-Coopers Sparkling is too expensive over here! ;)-and I'll be lurking online! Kinda like camping on the footpath to get tickets to the big concert I guess..

Lucky there is no 8 hour alcohol regulation in the simming world! ;)

See you at the shop everyone!

Provided everything goes according to plan and I don't find any gotcha's in the setup of the product AU Blue should be available to purchase and download at The FlightSim Store some time around mid-night AEDT on the 5th. In any case, it should be ready at the very least by the time most of us wake up to call in to work with that <cough><cough> ;)

I know Adrian wants to push that big green button asap LOL!  The download will be available sometime on Wednesday Aussie time. Whether it's the stoke of midnight Tuesday or on Wednesday evening, really depends on how we go over the next 48 hours. As you can imagine we have 30 people spread right around the world doing the final dev work and we really need to put the final full build through its paces to ensure there are no gotcha's. We will make Wednesday - as to what time on Wednesday I can't commit to. Our US and EU cousins may well find they get it on the 4th, hahah!

The upside? Start drinking early and you'll have a beer buzz for launch  ;D ;D ;D

I know I will be cracking open a few Wild Turkeys and Coke at our wrap party on Wednesday night!!

Sweet John

im keen to give this ago

me and some buddy's came first in the local short film festival a cuple of years ago now

however can i replace your use of fraps with a program called gamecam

i have used it before and have found it to be good

Share the Love

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

8. Last step - make it net-friendly - you will need to recompress it down to a WMV codec which will make it about 10-20% of the MPEG size without losing too much quality. I use Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder 9 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en) - it does a superb job.

Koorbs, this is the bit that I am stuck at... I have Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder 9 installed and running, but I have no idea where to start to make my first video ready for YouTube or wherever it needs to go.  All I have is a 585Mb AVI file which is the video.  Could someone please give me a hint on how to use Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder 9.

With thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chris, just run the "Convert a file" wizard which is shown at WME9 startup.

1. Set your source file to be your AVI. Leave the output file for now. [Next>>]

2. Select "File download (computer playback) [Next>>]

3. Leave video to "High definition .." but change audo to "CD quality audio VBR)". You should have a bit-rate of 5073 Kbps or so [Next>>]

4. Add in your Title, authour, copyright, rating, description. You should by rights credit Orbx and also any music sources have used.

[Finish]

WME9 will now do a 2-pass conversion and you will find your WMV file at the suggested output location from the start of the wizard.

Could not be easier.

If you find that the file is too large, then change step 3 above to "DVD quality video (2Mbps VBR) and it will be less than half the size.

Good luck!

Hi John, I have downloaded the trial version of Ulead, alas no instructions or help files, I have played around with it but find it very unintuitive(for me and friends I have asked). Im new to the video thing but am very determined to get it right, just need some Ulead instructions, there help site was not very helpfull either, kept leading me in circles without telling me zip.

cheers Ken

Archived