How About a Vintage ORBX Version

Tomesk

Are all the static objects in regions and airports pulled from the ORBX Libs?

If so, it would be interesting to have an alternate library that had vintage counterparts.  Think 50s-60s aircraft and vehicles, etc...   It would be a great option when flying vintage aircraft.

You can download the CalClassic ai and create your own flightplans if you just want to adorn a few key airfields with retro traffic. I use their Stratocruiser and Constellation amongst others when flying A2As 'Strat', and just programme them to fly between New York, Spokane and San Francisco etc. Of course, you could use their traffic files, but the ai are primarily designed for FS2004 and that amount could impact your performance. Their 'library' comes with vintage vehicles (1950s etc) and even billboards and logo airstairs, so with a little creativity, you can build an immersive retro environment.

If you want the actual aircraft as statics rather than ai, there is a freeware tool that'll easily convert them to library objects which you can then place with something like 'InstantScenery'.

I have all my vintage scenarios in individual folders, so at the click of a mouse, I can quantum leap back to 1944, with ai Spitfires, ME109s, B:17s and Mustangs together with a host of WW2 airfields and Flak Barrages over occupied Europe. I can simply go to 1957 with the ai Connys, backdated airports and Atlantic Weatherships or just as easily revert to the 1980s era with ai Vulcans, Canberras, A10 Warthogs etc flying out of the ACG 'retro fields'.

Anyway, have a look at the CalClassics website if you've not already found it. Their collection of 50s and early 60s propliners and jets is pretty impressive!

I seem to remember some vintage add ons for FS9 ... Golden Hawaii ... Bill Lyons? it was really well done.

If Vintage scenery software could be allocated to ORBX's budget, and we have to remind ourselves, this is minority stuff, then I'd like to see an ORBX style version of just *Pre War* Pearl Harbour and the semi alert at time and looking out for Japanese subs ETC that general aviators did ... I actually spotted one in FS9 with that custom scenery and aircraft.

Of course I would rather see a modern day Hawaii from ORBX first.

I'm not talking about warfare in FSX here, just pre war nostalgia golden era flying.

Another old age scenery and properly done FSX aircraft I'd like to see done would be "Spirit of St Louis" and that classic flight Charles Lindbergh did ... I still sometimes watch the old James Stewart film for motivation, would be nice to take off and land at Paris as it was back then.

Golden Wings and Silver Wings (FS2004) is a good option and you can have multiple copies of FS2004 on your computer.  With today's hardware, the result is very good BUT another option is to fly the piston pounders and vintage L188's (yes Cal Classics and others) in the North.  Buffalo Airways still flys routes and charters with these classics so you can recreate routes and charters and use modern day ORBX scenery.  Now all we need is North Alaska and NWT as regions or at least NA LC....hint hint....I know the LC isn't too far away.  For those with P3dv2.4, Cal Classics will work for the most part, as well as the Buffalo offerings.  Flying vintage as a bush pilot really shows off the ORBX scenery to its very best and it really tests your piloting skills.

Henry

In 30 years from now the current offerings from ORBX will be vintage  :D

But already since the release of a lot of FSX products their has been airlines that have disappeared and airports that have been closed/renovated/upgraded etc. Already their is a freeze in time with this generation of flight sim.

I like that my American Airlines planes are still all shiny and not that awful new paint scheme  8)

Archived