Freeware Pack 19 - What airport is 7I7 - Bellefontaine Municipal?

petenoak

I've been going to all the airports in Freeware Pack 19. One in Ohio is called "Bellefontaine Municipal", with an ID = 7I7, I think. It is very close to an FSX airport, KEDJ, "Bellefontaine Regional." I can't find any airport "7I7" on the Internet so this seems like a mistake, that this freeware Bellefontaine airport should have replaced the FSX KEDJ. 

Well, maybe.

Does anybody else have any ideas on this?

peter

Just noticed that Pack 19 includes both KEDJ and 7I7. Are there really two airports that close?

Hi Peter,

7I7, Bellefontaine Municpal, OH, was done by Rob Beck and it does exist as Nicks GE shot shows.  You'll notice it has yellow "X"'s at both ends so it appears to be a closed and abandoned airport.  Almost all of our Global airports have been requested so someone probably used/trained at that one and asked for it.

Cheers, Neil

Edit:  OK, I think the reason for Rod's doing 7I7 is that it's a default FSX airport and was so close to KEDJ  that it's "ugliness" would detract from the work he'd done so he did that one also, I've done that several times, kind of like "two for the price of one".

Neil obviously would know better (since he has contact with the developer that I don't have), but my assumption was that KEDJ is the replacement for 7I7 in the real world - so it had ought to be replaced in the sim, as well.

That is to say - 7I7 was closed after the FSX was released. KEDJ was built after FSX was released. In the real-world, KEDJ was built to replace the old 7I7. Thus, if KEDJ is requested in the sim, since it is a replacement to 7I7 in the real world, to make operations at KEDJ somewhat more realistic, 7I7 had ought to be closed... in effect, doing one airport properly meant doing both of them.

I get it now. Thanks to all for the comments. I guess I probably have a number of now defunct airports floating around somewhere in the default FSX scenery. 

It really doesn't matter that much, but just for the sake of argument, how would I safely remove this airport? I probably won't because the runway still exists in RL!

pete in oakland, ca

www.wakefieldjazz.com

Hi Peter,

What Neil stated in Post #4, and as Ematheson stated in Post #5 are the reasons I created 7I7 along with KEDJ.  Since 7I7 is closed in real life, and is so close to KEDJ, I thought to do both airports for FSX for more realism.

Nick, thanks for the compliment, and you're welcome.

Happy and Safe Flying,

Take Care

Rod

Archived