Landing in �safjörður

JamesIceland

I was sent a great video yesterday and decided to try and recreate it. Here's the real world video:

>http://youtu.be/xQzxETleOMo

And here's my recreation - tried to make it as true to life with weather etc as possible although YouTube has darkened the clouds somehow - they looked almost the same as the real flight before upload. Oh well:

>http://youtu.be/HHhBoTZ25lc

The stutters at the start are due to the recording software. For some reason ShadowPlay has stopped working properly so I had to use some other software. Couple that with some computer issues and it isn't my best video! Also explains the delay from my tour videos which I hope to continue soon once I have fixed everything!

Hope you enjoy this short one anyway - a great approach to fly!

James

Nicely done James 1.23 - 3.20 seemed to match the path TOD and weather aspects beautifully, those tall stretchy clouds in the beginning looked a little off though, it just needed a light layer of mist to blend out the hard edge.  Would love to see those RL mountains in sim, they are more dramatic in the real video. 

Would you share the Season, date, weather theme, and time of day, I would like to recreate the flight myself.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for that - really annoyed at the video quality but ShadowPlay is playing up (no pun intended) so I simply can't record videos properly at the moment.

You're right about the clouds at the start although in sim they look less tall and stretchy and whiter. I used ASN to manually insert a cumulus cloud layer at 2,500 ft that was 4,000 ft thick. Visibility was at maximum 9999 as it is on the video below the clouds. I am going to try and add a stratus layer of cloud at the same height to soften up the edges and thicken things - maybe try that? If you want more of a challenge add some real life winds of 15-20 kts which they have been having over the last couple of days!

Season was Winter, date was 22/12/2015, time was 10:55am (or dawn - dusk looked too orange but that is my REX setting) and ASN was used to manually insert cloud as described. I placed the aircraft at 1,500 ft on a heading of 175 with latitude N 66 7.50 and W 23 4.61. That should place you just outside the fjord ready to make the right turn and is just about where the real world video starts. Save your flight there and you can repeat the approach to your heart's content!

I plan to do a few videos of landings here in a variety of aircraft, some realistic (small GA) some not so (tubeliners...).

If you want to see some more real life videos from a great aviation academy in Iceland check out Keilir Aviation's Facebook page and videos: 

https://www.facebook.com/keiliraviationacademy

I agree the mountains in real life are amazing - this is the West Fjord area of Iceland and they were carved out by glaciers thousands of years ago.

As for the landing, the best advice I can give is to follow the road around on the turn and stay just inside the bridge...the guys on the video went a little outside and had to correct. It's a tricky landing, particularly in wind, but a good one!

Enjoy

James

James, well done, the idea of real world versus Simulation is a good one and may inspire others to do a similar exercise. It does show however, that although flight simulation has come a long way the real world is still a magical place.

Thanks

Regards

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Archived