Disapearing taxiway ID's and taxiways at PAEN and PAKT

FLYING TIGER

Hello everyone,

I have the following problem: I have 2 regional airports in Alaska: PAEN (Kenai Intn.) and PAKT (Ketchikan). When I use Flightsim Commander, normally when I zoom in on an airport I have taxiways and taxiway ID's.

But there are issues with both of this airports, only with these airports. At PAEN the taxiways themselfs are vissible but no taxiway  ID's and at PAKT even the taxiways aren't there (and of course also no ID's). I am corresponding with someone from FSC quite some time but we don't get it right. In search of a sollution I did the following yesterday: I unchecked both airports in the FSX Scenery Library, ran the FSC Database Manager, and used the standard FSX airports. Both problems were solved. So I guess it is more an ORBX/FTX problem than a FSC problem, or it is the interaction between the two where it goes wrong. Has anybody have/had the same problem and is it fixed now.

Awaiting some positive answers (hopefully), :-)

kind regards and happy landings,

Eddy

Eddy,

I can't remember about PAEN, but at PAKT they had to use a special procedure to make the airport because of the sloping taxiways - for this reason also AI aircraft cannot use the airport. I suspect that FSC will not show the taxiways because of this.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Jack,

thanks for the reply. You are right about PAKT, the taxiways to the ramp are at a different level than the runway and both taxiways, each at one end of the runway, slope downwards to the ramp.I will pass this answer to the FSC person with who I am corresponding and see what he has to say about this. But it would surprise me that the standard FSX scenery could handle the problem and ORBX couldn't. Wait and see.

regards,

Eddy

The standard FSX scenery has a level airfield, and so is handled the same way as all standard airfields. It's because the ORBX version has tried to be true to life that they had to come up with a way round this, which unfortunately means a compromise or two.

Cheers

Jack

I understand that but I don't see what the elevation of the runway between one end of the runway to the other (PAEN = 8 ft and PAKT = 4 ft), has to do with not showing the ID's of the taxiway at PAEN. After all the taxiways at PAEN are showing correctly, it's just that the caracters to indicate the taxiways, going from A to K in this case at PAEN, are missing and that has nothing to do with the elevation of the runway in my opinion.  I did some searching: at PANC (Anchorage International) every of the 3 runways is elevated ond end to the other. Runway 7L/25R the most: 36 ft and there all the taxiways identifications are visible, so this is the proof that this is not the source of the problem at PAEN and PAKT. I wouldn't be surprised that when those 2 regional airports were made that somenthing went wrong or was forgotten. Could happen, nobody's perfect and I don't point any finger, just trying to help by indicating what I found out. Beside,another small issue at PAKT. The runway 29/11 there is situated dead in the water (blue section on the screen) instead of on land. In reality the runway is indeed very close to the water, but not in it. I don't know your infuence at ORBX but I'm sure these issues can be fixed in the future with a little patch. I would gladly  here your opinion on this to find out if my assumption on this could be right.

again regards and have a fine weekend

happy landings,

Eddy

Hi Eddy,

there was a hotfix posted for PAEN a while back; I believe it includes the taxiway fixes: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/82647-paen-requests/

There are two runways at PAKT in my GPS map view, the airport's main 29/11 runway -- correctly depicted on land -- and the adjacent seaplane runway in Tongass Narrows, with a PAKX ICAO. I'm not sure what map view you're referring to but perhaps it uses a coarser land/water map that doesn't properly delineate the shorelines of Tongass Narrows.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

thanks for the reply AND THE SOLUTION of the taxiway ID's at PAEN. The link you provided worked well. So one part of the problem is solved.

I provided you with a screen print of the map I'm refering to in relation to the PAKT issues. No taxiway's and runway in the water. Maybe by looking at it you can tell me what's wrong with it, or what am I doing wrong.

Thanks again for the tip and the link, fantastic job !

MsDT.jpg

Awaiting some good news,

cheers,

Eddy

Hi Eddy,

glad I could help. FYI you can often find past threads by searching our forums for the ICAO of the airport and/or related search terms.

As for your map it's as I suspected: FSCommander uses a very low-resolution topographic map that doesn't accurately portray the true location of Tongass Narrows. Nothing we can do about that on our end. Compare this to the map view in FSX, which is based on the actual shoreline data. 

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-48853400-1415489240_thumb.jpg

Hello Holger,

OK, now I know that it is what it is, nothing's perfect, and it's no big deal anyway. I will try not to land in the Tongass Narrows to often.  :-)

That tip you gave now, searching the content of the topics by ICAO code is also a very good suggestion. One to remember.

Thanks again for all the support.

Happy landings,

Eddy

Archived