Removing winter textures

Emi

Hi,

since winters are getting warmer and warmer and we rarely see any snow in western Europe at all anymore, would it be possible to remove the wintertextures and replace them with the previously displayed ones?

At the moment we already see snow in parts of Germany/Poland, but we still have tempratures up to 13° (Berlin).

Even in the more eastern areas, until the borders to Russia we still have tempratures around 5°.

Apparently such high tempratures aren't an exeption anymore these days.

It would be nice to see such an option in a future update.

The only current way in Global areas is to change the date back to October 31st at the latest.

FTX regions come with their own seasons file which mimics the real world season changes which is much more accurate than FSX default. 

Correct Glenn, however the timing when snow textures are shown is still quite much off in Open LC. In Germany for example we rarely have snow at all these days anymore, while with Open LC I can already find snow in eastern German at this time. IRL it's still around 10° there!

Basically it should be possible to change this simply by exchanging the snowy files used in winterseason with the files that are shown for the late fall season (until oct 31st as you pointed out).

This *should* be a simple change ORBX could do in a configurator, so that users can descide if they prefer a more realistic or a more winterish look.

Correct Glenn, however the timing when snow textures are shown is still quite much off in Open LC. In Germany for example we rarely have snow at all these days anymore, while with Open LC I can already find snow in eastern German at this time. IRL it's still around 10° there!

Each winter the same discussion turns up concerning the winter textures. The data for the snow coverage comes from a real winter sometime before FSX was released. 

But each winter is different. The last one was very warm the penultimate was very cold, in 2010/11 we had complete snow coverage for the entire country in January (So much for rarely snow these days).

The depiction in the sim will always remain a snapshot and never be able to recreate the currrent real-world coverage of snow.

Even the more accurate seasons aren't a dynamic representation of reality.

Again, I think the only thing you can do is change the date to something more suitable where you know snow wont be on the ground textures. This way you can make it look more like what you see outside the real world window

Again, I think the only thing you can do is change the date to something more suitable where you know snow wont be on the ground textures. This way you can make it look more like what you see outside the real world window

But if I do that the sunrise and sunset will be completly off. Since I only fly realtime that is quite an issue for me.

Each winter the same discussion turns up concerning the winter textures. The data for the snow coverage comes from a real winter sometime before FSX was released. 

But each winter is different. The last one was very warm the penultimate was very cold, in 2010/11 we had complete snow coverage for the entire country in January (So much for rarely snow these days).

The depiction in the sim will always remain a snapshot and never be able to recreate the currrent real-world coverage of snow.

Even the more accurate seasons aren't a dynamic representation of reality.

And that's exactly why I'm asking for an option to disable them. That would stop the discussion since you could either turn it off or on, depending on what currently happens on the outside.

Programming such an option shouldn't be too difficould since it's just renaming of some textures. It would take the developers only days (if not even just hours), so it's not too complicated.

Hi Emi,

the issue is with the default seasons control file, not the textures, as explained here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/86437-season-transition-problems/?p=790480

Exchanging the hard-winter textures would create more issues than it solves because the seasons control file would remain active and thus autogen tree would remain snow covered and other aspects of the sim controlled by seasons would not work properly either.

There are some threads over at FSDevloper that explain how to make your own custom seasons files. It's fairly straightforward but requires quite a bit of research and tedious editing if done right; I just completed the seasons file for the upcoming FTX Norway and that took a couple of weeks to complete. Seems to me that switching back a month is the simpler solution in your situation...

Cheers, Holger

Archived