F-86 Sabre over Lord Howe Island (20 edits)

Most of these shots are, in my opinion, wonderful! I have got a few comments:

1. Shots 8, 9, 10; I have an impression that the aircraft is going to crash in a second. Try to leave more space between the nose and the edge of the shot in order to eliminate this impression.

2. Shots 7, 11, 16; aircraft is blurred.

Apart from the two things listed above: excellent cropping, wonderful panning effect, good angles. Can't wait to see more!

Most of these shots are, in my opinion, wonderful! I have got a few comments:

1. Shots 8, 9, 10; I have an impression that the aircraft is going to crash in a second. Try to leave more space between the nose and the edge of the shot in order to eliminate this impression.

Apart from the two things listed above: excellent cropping, wonderful panning effect, good angles. Can't wait to see more!

Huh?

1. Those shots are brilliant. Excellent backdrops and in one you can see a sailing boat in the water way way below... can't understand how you think that the aircraft would crash from these shots.

2. I am going to be that the shots were edited in this way to make you "feel" like their is movement. They are very very good in this way.

The whole package is fantastic. Well well done.

Thanks guys!

I bet the "islanders" wern't to happy with all that racket going on above their heads  :D

Hehe, probably not. But at least they got some action after all that wandering, fishing, sleeping and diving. :D

Thanks for that comment but BradHosking is right. The aircraft was blurred in those shots on purpose. Those are tight, zoomed shots of a fast moving object which is a hard thing to keep in focus all the time. Also, I don't really understand how you get the impression of an imminent crash on shots that show an aircraft in a straight and level flight a 1000 feet over the ocean. I know, keeping some space between the front of a moving object and the picture frame is somewhat standard, but not a mandatory requirement. Again I wanted to recreate the impression of real photos of fast moving object, which is also is a little hard on the framing. But to make sure: I appreciate the criticism. Thanks for that!

Thanks for that comment but BradHosking is right. The aircraft was blurred in those shots on purpose. Those are tight, zoomed shots of a fast moving object which is a hard thing to keep in focus all the time.

I think this is a matter of taste. As a real life plane spotter and photographer, I don't like seeing the main object blurred. I also know how hard it is to take a sharp photo of a fast moving object. On the other hand, FS screenshots are art-related. "Breaking the rules" in art is usually regarded as a positive thing. You did that and after thinking more deeply about it I came to the conclusion that blurring the aircraft was not such a bad idea as I thought at the beginning.

Also, I don't really understand how you get the impression of an imminent crash on shots that show an aircraft in a straight and level flight a 1000 feet over the ocean. I know, keeping some space between the front of a moving object and the picture frame is somewhat standard, but not a mandatory requirement.

Again, I think it is a matter of taste. I was writing about the impression of an imminent crash into the edge of your screenshot. It was not altitude-related.  I always have that impression when there is less space in the front than in the back. Again, this is art. "Breaking the rules" is usually seen as a positive thing but in this case I will stick my point of view. Everyone has a different taste.

I have looked at your screenshots again I have to say, that they are really, really nice. Especially, I like the unusual angles e. g. 1 and 2.

Thank you for the discussion and I am waiting for more shots from you.

Michal

Archived