Smooth As Glass - Nvidia GTX 970

Cabby

Finally replaced the "old" GTX 580 3GB with a new ASUS OC Strix GTX 970 4GB and wow, what a difference!

I have an i7 @4.4 ghz  with 16 GB DDR3 and run a 30" LCD monitor @ 2560 x 1600.   With everything pretty well maxxed-out in Prepar3D 2.4 and with Orbx FTX Global/Vector/Pilots FTX Mesh and the FTX Western USA Regions I'm getting(using Adaptive vsync + Unlimited FPS)frame rates in the 37 to 61 FPS range and flight is butter smooth.   Preliminary testing indicates a 40 to 50% increase in performance over the GTX 580.

Needless to say image quality is stunning with P3D and FTX/REX4 all working together.   The ASUS 970 is the best video card investment I ever made.  It draws less power, runs cool and quiet, and the IQ is jaw-dropping.   Plus the 970 is equal to, and in many cases superior to, the GTX 780 ti of the previous generation of Nvidia chips.  And only $359!

My only complaint is that Nvidia and Lockheed haven't collaborated on an optimized configuration for "Geforce Experience."

C.

thats good to hear, i have a 3 gig gtx 780 and kinda sitting back and waiting, i imagine a 980ti will follow the 980 and 6 and 8 gig 970's and 980's, i made the mistake last time shelling out 650 bucks for my 780 at launch as the prices will drop on the 9 series.

I have just upgraded from the 780 to the 970.

Performance is about the same (the 980 gives a better lift, but money..)

However graphical quality is greatly improved with significantly improved rendering - ie handles tessellation well.

the 780's are dropping on ebay down to 275 usd, i am trying to decide if i should sell my 780 and go to the 970 or not, i would more or less have to put 100 bucks in to get a 970 oc version. the extra gig of vram sounds good but is it worth 100 bucks is the question.people must like the 970's they are sold out everywhere.

Brett, in the Great Southern Land tech prices are very high, one of the few tariff barriers we seem to have left.

Consequently even though I got a good trade-in on 780, there was still something like an $AU200 difference on a 970, and $AU200 more again for the 980.  

I do use eBay, but buying from an overseas source leaves me with no warranty protection.

Try getting your money back from Asia or Eastern Europe.

think i might just sell my 780 for 275 and buy a 970 like macca22 did,an extra gig of ram and i looked up the benchmarks, the 970 is faster than a 780, thats kinda shocking really.nvidia made a huge leap forward this time around

that must be a huge leap then, by what i have read the 970 and 980 are blowing my 780 out of the sky,wow the GM210 will burn a hole in my creditcard as what i am reading its gonna be between 6 and 700 bucks but even faster than the 980 and be out in spring,everytime i decided something i get stumped again lol, thanks Greg

My AMD 7950 is also "smooth as glass". What's the big deal?

Doug

You're not going to make any friends on this forum with that type of demeanor and attitude towards others. This isn't the Avsim forums, we respect each other around here. The man was merely sharing his experience with new hardware, something I and many others are interested in.

Archived