YMML Flickering textures

shortspecialbus

I noticed in YMML when I'm airborne and looking around the airport that the textures are flickering like crazy.  Here is a screenshot that sort of shows what is going on:

Posted Image

Look for example at the whitish taxiway to the right of the "THAI" down the side of the plane.  I could try to get another image if that would help, but basically the entire tarmac and runways seem to be having z-buffering issues whenever the view is in motion.

If I pause the sim and don't move my view at all, it settles down.  This image isn't perfect, but you can get an idea of what is happening.

-stefan

Edit: before it is asked:

E8400

GeForce GTX 260

4GB RAM

WinXP 64 (obviously DX9 mode)

other addons: GEX, UTX, FSGenesis, FSPassengersX, PMDG MD-11, other planes not currently in use, FEX, MyTrafficX, FTX Blue/Gold, all the freeware linked from fullterrain.com, FSUIPC, ASA (not in use during the shot), probably other crap I am forgetting.

This is FSX SP2 and YMML is SP1 and the AU Colors are SP2.

If by flickering you mean it is a shimmering effect then I believe the only fix is higher AF but even the highest setting may not overcome the issue. Updated graphics drivers may help if there are any available.

Yes, we concede you will get that flicker from the gmax polys being raised 0.07m off the ground. You will see that only when flying directly overhead YMML at altitudes like yours, which you normally would not do in a tubeliner since your approach paths are much lower and you don't see the flicker then. The only aircraft which technically should be in that airspace are helos, and then usually they are much lower than that, which again means you won't see the flicker.

I guess what I am saying is if you follow airspace rules the problem should not exist. If you're simming and break the rules then yes, we're sorry but that's the price to pay for gmax poly tech runways. YBBN will have the same tech employed but Marty is continually pushing the tech and he knows I'd love to see a solution. Within the limits of the FSX SDK though, we have to make compromises sometimes.

Yes, we concede you will get that flicker from the gmax polys being raised 0.07m off the ground. You will see that only when flying directly overhead YMML at altitudes like yours, which you normally would not do in a tubeliner since your approach paths are much lower and you don't see the flicker then. The only aircraft which technically should be in that airspace are helos, and then usually they are much lower than that, which again means you won't see the flicker.

I guess what I am saying is if you follow airspace rules the problem should not exist. If you're simming and break the rules then yes, we're sorry but that's the price to pay for gmax poly tech runways. YBBN will have the same tech employed but Marty is continually pushing the tech and he knows I'd love to see a solution. Within the limits of the FSX SDK though, we have to make compromises sometimes.

Correct on the not normally being at that altitude right there.  You'll note I was slewing around with all my doors open looking at the pretty airport ;)  A fix would be great but if not, I can make do.  I just wanted to check to see if something was abnormal.

Thanks,

-stefan

It seems to me that as you go up in altitude the curved surface of the ground switches to a lower resolution so to speak.

Consider the in Computer modelling there is not really any such thing a true curved surface, but rather made up of lots a straight edges joined togeather.

What i suspect is that at lower altitude the flat surfaces that model the ground are shorter like a octagon as opposed to a pentagon for performance reasons. Like everything in FSX as you move away the detail deminishes.

So perhap what is happening is the surface is less round so then pokes through my ground surface model. If this is the case, i can fix it. I will trial it on YBBN as that is what i am working on at the moment and if successful adopt it back to YMML.

Archived