Help with kmz Orbx areas maps - NCA

raymar99

I remember some time ago Holger posted the steps to view some Orbx area kmz files using flat Google Maps. I respectively request this be posted again for the NCA area kmz. I seached the forums but did not find it.

My old eyes cannot pick out the data overlays when viewing the Google Earth Satellite map so I would like to see the airports and heliports overlaid on the flat Google Maps. This has a much lighter background and is easier for me to see the airport data.

I have NCA and KMRY installed so I have the kmz link in my Orbx user docs folder but I couldn't pick the file name out, just the link to Google Earth.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I don't think it works that way as that button in GE just opens up Google Maps of the same area as is currently shown in GE but without any of your custom overlays. It's best to open Google Maps directly in a browser window and then follow the steps to load the NCA kmz file on top as described in http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/35120-ftx-north-america-pnw-pfj-nrm-crm-kmz-map-files/

Cheers, Holger

Hi Ray,

I don't think it works that way as that button in GE just opens up Google Maps of the same area as is currently shown in GE but without any of your custom overlays. It's best to open Google Maps directly in a browser window and then follow the steps to load the NCA kmz file on top as described in http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/35120-ftx-north-america-pnw-pfj-nrm-crm-kmz-map-files/

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger,

I still can't get it to work for NCA. I get this error when I copy the NCA kmz link as suggested.

Regards,

Ray

NoJoy_zps91e60290.jpg

Hi Ray,

good catch there seems to have been an issue with the URL. I've refreshed the file and link now, can you please try again. Press Ctrl+F5 on the forum page with the links to make sure your browser loads the updated page,

Cheers, Holger

Holger, thanks for you help, but I still can not get it to work. I cleared out my cache and refreshed everything and I still get the same error that I posted earlier when I search for the link in Google Maps.

Regards,

Ray

Whew. Thanks Holger for not giving up on me. I have it working now. I'm guessing that I wasn't logged in properly. Everything else was the same.

Any idea on how I can get the ICAO identifier to show up on the Google Maps? See attachment.

Thanks.

Ray

KMRYBay_zps0e2c4d31.jpg

I was able to get the same result without having to login to Google.    Paste the link in the main Google search box.   It will come back with the did not match error message but while this page is still open, select "Maps" from the top menu and region that you pasted will now be in Google Maps.  

Mike

Archived