Rendering of cities and towns in Apulia region Italy

dave302

Hi.  Below are comparison screenshots of a few cities and towns in the Apulia region of Italy which are not represented very well with openLC Europe.  The first image is of the area in FSX and the following picture is the same area in Google Earth.

Many of the Apulia towns in FSX with openLC Europe look like small villages instead of the 20,000+ population towns that they are, and the urban textures used are not even close to reality.  Cities and towns in the Apulia region of Italy are unique in that most of the buildings are flat-roofed, light-colored buildings.  They are more reminiscent of towns in Greece, North Africa, and the Middle East than the towns full of red-tiled, pitched roof buildings in other parts of Italy.

Would it be possible to render these cities and towns in a more realistic way?

Thanks a lot.

Bari, Italy in FSX

8a7P.jpg

Bari, Italy in Google Earth

JlF4U.jpg

Carovigno, Italy in FSX

9S4an.jpg

Carovigno, Italy in Google Earth

lf4r8.jpg

Francavilla Fontana, Italy in FSX

b1Bf8.jpg

Francavilla Fontana, Italy in Google Earth

4O7oB.jpg

Manfredonia, Italy in FSX

guOXz.jpg

Manfredonia, Italy in Google Earth

tyr2T.jpg

San Vito dei Normanni, Italy in FSX

0UwZD.jpg

San Vito dei Normanni in Google Earth

xgQJ9.jpg

I don't own OpenLC at this point, but it seems to me that you, like many others who start support threads about devations from reality are victims of a misunderstanding on your side.

It has been stated that OpenLC uses a 1x1 km grid technique in resolution as opposed to the vector polygon technique that is used in the full FTX regions.

But only with the vector technique (which needs to be handcrafted) you will get exactly the same outline of a city as you get in real life.

So I assume those deviations are not bugs or mistakes, but rather the downside of a relatively coarse resolution of data.

I don't own OpenLC at this point, but it seems to me that you, like many others who start support threads about devations from reality are victims of a misunderstanding on your side.

It has been stated that OpenLC uses a 1x1 km grid technique in resolution as opposed to the vector polygon technique that is used in the full FTX regions.

But only with the vector technique (which needs to be handcrafted) you will get exactly the same outline of a city as you get in real life.

So I assume those deviations are not bugs or mistakes, but rather the downside of a relatively coarse resolution of data.

I'm not asking that the towns be drawn exactly as they are in reality.  Where in my post did I mention that the towns didn't have the same exact shape as they do in reality?

My request is that the textures used to render the towns and cities in this region be more realistic, and that the towns be rendered close to their actual size.  That's all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  This post still doesn't have an "Active" or "Noted" tag, so I'm just wondering if the development team is going to consider the issue.

Again, I'm not asking that a brand new texture for a single region of Italy be created.  It would just be nice to see the towns in this area rendered more realistically.

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave, we replied you in this post

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/82841-ascoli-piceno-italy-not-well-represented/

i think the reply is valid also for this post. About the cities not well represented you can also see what to expect in the next patch for openLC in this preview

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/83586-the-openlc-development-continues-mediterranean-old-city-quarters/

As you can see we're on the track of improving what customers reported.

Archived