Response Re:YMML SP1 - JV's Performance tuning guide

LBPN

Please don't post Jay Kae's performance results on YMML? . He spent a fortune on that PC. He could get a car with those money. LOL.  :D

I guess the guy that complains about 5FPS he's talking about approaches, when he encounters wide angle views. I saw your movie with FPS at YMML. At those angles you shot,  I get better FPS, but, when approaching YMML at longer distances it really kills the CPU (6-8 FPS). I don't have a NASA rocket PC, but it's not a dead horse either. It handles very well many other FSX add-ons some of them pretty rich in detail. Take for example some of aerosoft airports like Frankfurt, or CDG Paris. Or even FSDreamTeam KJFK, or KORD. I get very smooth approaches and bit above 18-25 FPS and guess what... New York is not Melbourne (I'm talking here about the large area covered with autogen, not necessary the details of the airport). I also have Autogen set to dense.

Yes I can say SP1 is an improvement from the previous version but only slightly, and still not a dream for tubeliners. I don't know why this happens to YMML. Too bad because it looks very good. I didn't expect SP1 to be magic. You already stated it won't be, so I guess most of us got used to it. And I guess nobody blames you for that.

What I don't like though, is the attitude you take towards unsatisfied customers, especially YMML's ones. I may be wrong, correct me if I am. It seems that YMML is the most contested of your products, and each time someone shows his lack of satisfaction with it you always bring all sorts of arguments like how smooth it works in fact, and how poor their PC's are, although most of these PC's are pretty decent.If you take a look at the pictures below you'll see what everyone is complaining about.Low fps from this sort of angles. And everything bellow 10FPS is not and will never be smooth no matter how hard some will try to make me believe that. 5FPS is indeed unplayable.

There's some blind devotion to Orbx from what I see from this forum, that may be good as it may turn into an Orbx cult someday...  :o Just like Apple's. But when someone complains about YMML there are some sort of ironical remarks adressed to this customers most of them coming from other forum users, and sometimes complemented by some Orbx staff.Orbx have very good products.. no doubt about it. Are they perfect? No, far from it. They're still learning, and there's nothing wrong with that. But when there're some design flaws someone should admit it. Also when someone is being critical in regard to some product, he shouldn't receive this sort of attitude. It's malign.

As for me? Am I happy with YMML? No I've never been. But I'm happy with the rest of their products.  That's what it is. I'm not dying because of it. I know I'm not rushing into buying un-reviewed products anymore. But no way I'm going to pay the price of a toyota yaris to buy a PC powerful enough to run a 50$ product.  ::)

5.6FPS

Posted Image

6.5FPS

Posted Image

Please don't post Jay Kae's performance results on YMML? . He spent a fortune on that PC. He could get a car with those money. LOL.  :D

Forgot to mention that you missed the point of my post, which was to show if it is possible to get very high FPS at YMML, which it is. Of course we know Jay's PC is superninjaturbouberkickarse, but 2009 will see 8-core i7 CPUs, cheaper DDR3 and Gen5 GPUs which will be a fraction of the cost of Jay's PC. I did after all, show FPS figures from my laptop, which if you check the specs, is more modest than most of the PCs being used by YMML customers.

But point taken. From now on I will be much less defensive and cop all criticism on the chin. Not much else I can do really.

I will openly admit there are design flaws.

The biggest flaw and i mean this in the most respectful way. Quite simply I tried to pack too much detail into the scenery. I could have simply copied all those other developers mentioned above, using sythetic textures, repetivitive textures all at low resolution. But that is not what i set out to do. And that is not my style.

My design brief was to create the most realistic recreation of Melbourne Airport that could be achieved. I wanted to push the limits of what is achievable. I have not tried to make a computer game but a true simulation.

90% of the textures used are sourced directly from photos of the real structures.

90% is a completely new modelling with the remainder a port from my original. FS9 scenery. Eg this unlike many is not FS9 Scenery ported to FSX.

For SP1 there was a big temptation to dumb the whole thing down to make it run smoothly on even the lowest spec system. But i reckon i would have had more complaints for doing that, all those guys with more capapble systems would be penalised. Get rid of the photoreal poly and make it sythetic, cut down the models to much lower polys and massively reduce the resolution of the textures. The end result would have been an FS9 airport. But ive already done made one of those.

So am i defensive, sure. Do i take on all the feed back? Absolutely. Do to take what i have learnt onto my next project? Definately.

Will YBBN be a much better very much so. But YBBN is a much simpler airport. Only Two terminals, one main runway and very different layout.

Am i going to dumb down YBBN to just make 'another' simple scenery NO. YBBN will be a high resolution, high detailed airport.

But my best advice to anyone, first off use the control panel and the sliders. Turn the FPS counter off, it doesnt make the scenery run better, look better or anything else. Its just a number.

Just enjoy it for what it is. Consider this FSX is basically the end of FS as we know it, but our systems are going to improve as people upgrade. YMML will improve over time like a nice red wine leaving may of those other sceneries in its dust as they date and become well just another FS9 port.

Defensive? I sure as H*ll am.. I am not going to get into a slanging match here.. I simply want to say that I found some of FSXthebest's post offensive.. The Orbx team bend over backwards for us..the clients, and the fact that they are a little defensive is understandable.. the language in the post indicates that perhaps the poster has another first language, and to be honest some Europeans can be a little "blunt", and this may well be the case.. I don't know. This and the fact that I may be a little too sensitive.

We were warned right from the day of release that this offering from the team was going to be hard on systems... that and the fact that this team have turned Australia into a simmers dream gives us the right to be defensive I think.

That said, the screenies that fsxthebest posts indicate to me that ether he is not tweaking his system to get the best out of it, or his system simply is not up to running YMML.

I have an older, middle of the road system, with an old video card in it, and here is what I am seeing with everything maxed and nothing turned off. The only concession to FR I make is the use of "orbx1 weather" and to be honest I use this all the time as I enjoy the soft misty feel of flying in these conditions.

Oh and Kiwi, thanks for taking a stand on YBBN.. as systems improve, running these FR heavy airports will become easier. Teecee.

Ps.. If the mods think this post a little strong, I will not be offended by it's removal.

Posted Image

just a little question John, I've always read, and have had frame rates locked to improve blurries, any reason why unlocked if in this area?

I haven't even gotten update yet, but it just caught my eye.

Thanks as always,

Dave

just a little question John, I've always read, and have had frame rates locked to improve blurries, any reason why unlocked if in this area?

I haven't even gotten update yet, but it just caught my eye.

Thanks as always,

Dave

On my laptop (WinXP SP3), I always run unlocked frames and in Windowed Mode (maximised). Why? Gives me the best performance by far, at the expense of some blurries. I can live with those.

I haven't changed my settings for the new YMML from what I normally use for FTX.  I'm running Vista 64x on a slightly overclocked Q6600 quad core machine and because of that I can allow my FPS to get down to 10 and still get a smooth...ish flight.  As far as I'm concerned, the very slight judder when taxiing and taking off is due to the normal vibration one would get in an aircraft and once I'm up it doesn't take long for the FPS to rise to a smooth flight experience.

And, to tell the truth, I've still got all the control panel items ticked - mainly because I'd forgotten it was there! The scenery is at 'extremely dense' and autogen at 'dense'.  Heaven knows how much I could improve the performance by modifying the controls and settings.

I'm not bragging but just wanted to show as a punter that good performance can be obtained on even what is now a fairly ordinary machine.

John 

@teecee

.. the language in the post indicates that perhaps the poster has another first language, and to be honest some Europeans can be a little "blunt", and this may well be the case..

Yes, english is not my first language. I'm sorry, I'm trying to speak and write in english as correct as possible.

But I rather find your post offensive.

Europeans can be a little "blunt"

Oh, you must have conducted a serious research if you came to this conclusion.  :-X

If you read my posts you'll see I've never been rude to anyone here, neither to Orbx staff nor to any other forum user. Not here and not anywhere else. My posts were written in a polite manner, although it may have some doze of criticism, but smart guys always take it in a constructive way. If you look at my sig you'll see I bought pretty much all Orbx products, and the only one I'm contesting is YMML. I'm really happy with the rest of their products. And YMML is not the only airport I bought from Orbx. I also have YSCH and I can say is their best airport so far.

But posts like yours, represent the attitude I was talking about. Rapidly rejecting others opinions. "I have an older, middle of the road system....blah blah. So you don't have an YMML capable system"......How do you know what system I have? I don't have and 800Mhz Celeron, with 64 RAM, and expect 500FPS, my friend. And YMML is not the only heavy on FPS airport add-on I have! There are many other eye candy and heavy FPS airports for FSX, but they never get bellow 14FPS. That's where my frustration is coming from.And no I'm not a FPS freak. But please, don't tell me that anything bellow 10FPS is smooth, ok?

Anyway, my post was rather signaling a bad attitude coming from posts like yours. So please, next time stop offending other people.

Archived