Mesh setting of 10m or 5m for FTX/ORBX products.

Orbx Flyer

Is there any benefit going lower than 10m, let's say 5m, for any ORBX scenery, whether it be Global, Regional, or Airports?

This was answered once..but I can't find the post..and can't remember.  I just installed the ORBX recommended version of Pilot's Gloabl 2010FSX, and it says that it won't produce results better than a setting of 10m for the mesh. Does Orbx use any mesh needs below 10M?   Just an end question. Is there really any reason within FSX or P3D 2.2 for to use a Mesh setting of 5m?

Thanks

Post Edit: I found a thread that said that ORBX airports should be set to 5m.  So, I guess that I can just leave everything at 5m, as LOD figures will load to what they are..and this will not effect performance. 

yep i own KMRY and that needs a 5m mesh setting to display properly.

as far as i know it doesn't hurt to go higher because if the scenery  doesn't support a higher mesh it ignores the higher setting.only causes an issue if you set the mesh too low,then you might see mesh issues like floating taxiway lights.(that happens at KMRY).

steve

I'm confused. I thought that FS Global 2010 mesh had a maximum resolution of 9 m in areas of steep topography. What happens when you set the value in P3d/FSX to a higher resolution like 5 m or less?

After many years of SRTM (and its limits, such as availability of data just between 60° North and 60° South as well as resolution over all of just 76m) we leave it behind us and set foot to new shores. New much better data sources have been discovered and used. So this is the first version of FS Global to offer a WHOLE world coverage including areas not covered by SRTM such as Antarctica, Greenland, Iceland, Russia and Scandinavia to name a few. In order to reduce data size we have selected the appropriate resolution for each area. It does not make sense to render the Great Plains in the USA or northern parts of Germany in a LOD 12 (9m) resolution. Flat is flat. Higher resolution here is not visible to the eye in Flight Simulator. It just needs more space on your harddrive and more time to load in FS. Bear that in mind when you read about resolution on this website and others.

Below is a list of just a few improvements over pevious versions of FS Global (so you get what was in the previous version PLUS that! e.g. we do not list the Alps in LOD 12, as they already were LOD12 in FS Global 2008)

• LOD12 (FS-Mesh- and sourcedata in 9m resolution!) for Hawaii (complete) and the southwest of the US, south of 38°N and west of 108°W (ca. Mesa Verde -> Point Reyes)

• High Quality Coverage of Northamerica (and p.Canada!): nationwide LOD11 (19m).

• Greenland, Iceland and Scandinavia in LOD 9 (76m; standard SRTM resolution)

• additional high resolution areas in Europe in LOD11 (19m): High Tatra, Scottland, Hardangervidda (Norway)

• huge areas in the north of Russia in LOD9.

• Antarctica in LOD8

Raising the mesh to 1m can cause issues with flattens around airports. It's very hard to get terrain flattens to work at multiple mesh settings so 5m was picked as the standard for Orbx airports to ensure a consistent experience.

Archived