Realize this is HIGHLY speculative, but OpenLC for US?

TracyQ

Open LC EU is amazing, I never use to fly in Europe because the scenery was so bad, I only flew N America, now I only fly Europe!!

I have been really anticipating this release; there are quite a few bad reports which are preventing me from buying it - can you share more of your 'good' experience please?

I have been really anticipating this release; there are quite a few bad reports which are preventing me from buying it - can you share more of your 'good' experience please?

Hi Andrew,

OpenLC EU is certainly not perfect (how could it be?). It has the typical landclass restrictions. The "problem" is: The better you know the area yourself the more you will find that LC software is (by definition) not the reality. There are houses but not the houses that there are in reality, there are roads cutting through villages, etc. And it is cetainly not a mature product. It will be developed and updated in the comming months and years.

BUT: If you fly above Europe (I only checked Germany so far) at or above 1000 ft the feeling is so much more "Europe" then it is without Open LC EU. In Germany for example you now have a lot of villages and agricultural land in between. In default you have houses placed all over Germany.

I would say: It is not (yet) perfect but a GIANT LEAP for simulation! 8)

And it is a bargin. 25 Euro for 10+ GB of data!

What are we talking about? Don't go out for lunch today and you already have half of the price saved. ^_^

My lunch is a baloney sandwich (on the pension dole). A good point is made. If you are not familiar with a territory the LandClass improvements would not be appreciated. The same with Vectors. Old FSX roads may not be accurate but between A & B they are. In between is a mystery. Global Textures will make everything look more real no matter where you are, or your familiarity within an area. But not needed to simulate flight operations. 

Having said that I stick to Regions by Orbx. They are the closest you can get to reality without some very costly photo-textures. However, when LandClass comes out for the USA I will probably spring for the 3-part package. Why - because as with our European friends, I am familiar with the area.

We are never going to get reality, lets be serious, people will be asking for the adverts on buses and street corners next!. but open LC virtually give us a new simulator. I do not have an add-on mesh just FTX Global, Vector, and LC.

One other thing that I have done, not sure if it will help anyone else, is if like me your SSD is running out of space, I have copied and pasted my entire FSX sim over onto my D:\ drive, and apart from being slightly slower to fire up FSX, which I expected there is no difference in the performance whatsoever..

Archived