KMRY-Ground Resolution Question?

boleyd

The photo shows KMRY area between the taxiway and the runway. I hoped for a higher resolution but is this normal? It is from the side window of the Bonanza parked in the area between the runway and taxiway. All settings at max.

2OltR.jpg

Hi there, 

It's hard to tell from your angle, but do you have your max textures in your FSX.cfg set to 4096 (TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096)?

You should also bear in mind that you aren't looking at an active runway/apron area - it's actually just a gravel overlay between the runway and taxiway. If set at 4096, the texture resolution is actually very high (7cm/pixel - higher than most  airports), but what you are missing is the noise map - this is why the taxiway itself looks higher resolution. I made a conscious choice to not include noise maps in this section as it would cause a nasty repeating texture pattern - this image from another terrain engine is a good example of the negative effect. A direct comparison of the difference between a texture at Monterey with and without noise maps can be found in the promo shot below - notice that fire lane road in the foreground has an asphalt noise map overlaid, whilst further back it doesn't. 

Hope this gives you a little insight into how this result was achieved - if the runways/aprons themselves aren't high enough resolution at your end let me know and we can look into it further. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

ecQZK.jpg

Archived