flight sim on a big screen tv

miloguy

Hi guys,

just connected my laptop to my big screen tv  got a new one in the lounge room the other day,one my dad had before he passed so now I have that, and thought I'd try my old 42 inch hd tv as a screen for fsx/p3d I know some of you guys 

have done it on previous posts, what settings did you use to make the text on the screen clearer?? 

haven't tried fsx yet, will a  bit later on.. just trying out p3d to see if i like it (which I bought a while ago now)

any way thanks again guys , you rock !

Hi Miloguy,

I have been using a 37" LED TV for a few years. Whilst the resolution of a dedicated computer monitor is much better a big screen is pretty immersive. Try and connect with an HDMI cable and go to the settings in FSX. Then set the graphics to match your TV resolution. Easy.

Cheers, Rick

Thanks Rick, I have been playing with the settings, but l'm finding it not as crisp in detail as my 27 inch monitor..hmm

side note, fsx text is better than prepared 3d , might be a setting in that some where?

Could it be his "gaming option" on the TV? On my old LCD monitor that option did nothing, good or bad, but it may on other TVs that are not low end like this one.

If text is not good on any TV ($$ or setting) then you better keep your "little" monitor. Any Text/TV comments?

The thing to bear in mind here is not so much resolution, as pixel density...

If your 27 inch monitor was displaying with a resolution of 1920x1080 (the normal, 1080p HDTV resolution), and your TV is also displaying at 1920x1080, then the screen resolution is identical... But of course, if you have the same number of pixels spread out over a larger area, the physical size of those pixels has to increase, which is why things look less crisp and gives the illusion of "lower resolution".

One thing that helps me is to go into your desktop settings and make sure text is set to display at its smallest size. Another thing that I do is to use the TV options menu to set TV "sharpness" to a higher level... To much can distort colors around edges and lines, but it can help make things a little less blurry...

thanks guys, I have been playing around with the tv settings, I don't think its as clear as an lcd screen.. its an old plasma

will try keep trying, it does make it interesting flying ..

out of interest, whats the difference like in flying with a data projector the same size ?

Milo When using a TV with your pc its always good to look at the manual to find out what resolutions it can handle as not all of them are the same, while they can handle a blu-ray at 1920x1080 some require a lower resolution on your pc and then you upscale in your gpu driver settings. I have seen a few people in past who have to do this to use their tv with their pc and keep a crystal clear picture.

Gandy raises a good point there... And just to add to that, tv's generally will look blurry at any other screen resolution other than the native resolution... If it's a 1080p screen, then you have exactly 1920x1080 pixels to play with on the screen... Any lower resolution and the TV will start "splitting" pixels into different colours and it tends to make things blurry.

Always best to use and stick with the native resolution if you can...

Archived